Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 24, 2017   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default What would you plant?

I have two rows of garlic that will likely be harvested the 2nd or 3rd week of July. I am in zone 6a. I think it will be too late to put in more tomato plants unless I can find some early varieties or larger plants still available and in good condition. Actually I have a few that never got hardened off or planted out but I think that will be too late. Is it also too late for beans, broccoli, or other plants? What would you plant that late in the season? Depending on the year, sometimes I can keep harvesting tomatoes until mid October or later but other years I am done by mid to late September. I still have one Early girl, a Stump or the World, 1 or 2 Soldacki, a few anemic looking Sophies Choice in cups that have been hardened off but not given any attention for a few weeks. The ones not hardened off are various sizes, but some still only about 8" tall that were late to germinate. A few are about 12" tall. Might be better buying plants that are larger and hardened off if I decide to go with more tomatoes that late.

I only have Tomatoes, garlic, Rhubarb and herbs planted right now so I can add almost anything. I don't really NEED more tomatoes, but you can NEVER have too many, lol. I already have a dozen full size, 3 grape/cherries and a plum tomato in the garden.

I was thinking I could also save the space for a fall planting of something, but not sure what.

Open to suggestions!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote