Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 30, 2013   #1
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Default Potato growing attempts in Japan

I am about to plant out some of my TPS seedlings. My first attempt at this.

I am thinking of putting some in trenches in rows
others in plastic pots/ containers and
trying some in my cheap hessian sack in cardboard box DIY container method,

I am short of space to use for TPS seedlings so am trying to improvise with containers as usual.

Have read a few comments saying that folks have been unsuccessful in growing large tubers in containers from seedlings. So, I am expecting the same mini size tuber results. Possibly going to try for an Autumn crop with some of the TPS clones hopefully created from some of my seedlings. However, most of the local folk here, don't bother attempting an Autumn crop here.

Frost hit my Autumn potato attempt last October. It was very hot in September, over 30c every day for most of the first few weeks. I put out my cardboard boxes of potatoes Late September I think.

Summer here in Nagano Japan gets very hot in July and especially August and into early September. Temps go up to 35c in the daytime and night temps hover around 20 or so. Unpleasant for people, and obviously not great for Potatoes at all. Its going to be tricky to keep my seedlings going well into the summer.

I planted out 21 Hessian sacks of regular clone potatoes in mid march. I read about a method where you nearly fill the whole sack with growing medium. The potatoes have successfully grown shoots through up 60 cm of growing medium, which surprized me. Having to fend off some freak low night temps, so they are covered again with that plastic fleece stuff. Seems to reduce frost damage somewhat.
These low night temps are putting me off from planting out the TPS I have grown.

Last edited by Stimacked; April 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
Stimacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #2
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pictures of of my potato growing attempts. The first picture on the left is of my 21 hessian sacks of potatoes.
the middle picture is of potato called "Destroyer" and the picture on the right is my harvest last summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg growbag tats 2013.jpg (108.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg destroyer potatoes.jpg (21.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 tats harvest.jpg (41.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Stimacked; April 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old April 30, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Those "destroyers" look awesome!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

This should be an interesting thread. I have quite a few customers in Japan growing my tomato and potato creations. Thanks so much for being here on TVille.

Your earlier post...
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...654#post342654
explains a lot for me...especially since you are working partly with my TPS...and another thanks!

Hessian bags (burlap) must be a Brit thing as here in the states we just say burlap. I suppose lining up the bags tightly together would work in a limited space, and one wouldn't need to worry so much about breakage or rotting fabric. I have lots of room so I have not tried that.

The Destroyer potato variety is unknown to me...can't find a link to it, either. However, it looks like a Purple Viking a bit.

Good luck with the seedling TPS.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #5
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Here are some updated snaps from this years potato growing here in Nagano Japan. Have held back from planting out my seedlings due to some freak cold temps up until Tuesday of this week. We had lows of 1.9 up to 4 centigrade in the mornings. These growbags seem to leave the tats leaves more sensitive to frost, so I was extra cautious.
Now, within a couple of days of those frosty mornings, the daytime temps are roasting up to 29 yesterday and today. May is usually about 9 oc at night and 22 oc by day. Oh well. Will plant out this weekend anyhow.
The front two rows now have flowers forming. they are Red Moon and Destroyer. Hoping to attempt a cross between these to get some seedlings. or maybe the bees can do the job for me. The first three rows were planted earlier than the next two. The last two rows are the least developed and were planted last. They also have faced the onslaught of the spring North East winds. The bags in the centre seem to be doing well. Topped up with an inch or so of rice husk mulch this week. and watered to reduce from the stress from the heatwave that has followed the freak cold May weather!!

Everybody in the nearby allotment plots seems to be growing potatoes this year. Theirs have just emerged while as you can see in the pics are well developed already, especially the first two rows. Held frost damage with a double layer of that fleece stuff you can see on the right.

Yep thats me on my way to my alotment with my Bicycle trailer. It was made from recycled bicycle parts at the Technical school I work at!

Last edited by Stimacked; May 10, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old May 10, 2013   #6
Scope
Tomatovillian™

Hello Stimacked,
I'm one of a quite a few customer of Tom. (But I don't plant TPS) And also,living in the same island. Yes,Japan! Fortunately I don't have any late frost. But continuous low temperature at night will damage. Terrible year.

I'm growing Destroyer for years. Very productive with good taste. You Know, 'Destroyer' was named from a wrestler for many years ago. But nowadays this variety was renamed as 'Grand Pechka' According to some documents, 'Destroyer' is a mutation variety which was founded out from the row of 'Red Moon'. (Sakata bred/released the potato 'Red Moon')
I'm very interested in these cross of you. Good luck!
Scope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #7
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

wow Scope! another poster from Japan. You sound like a veteran gardener! If I have any luck with my potato flowers turning producing TPS seedballs I will let you know. So far, the Red Moon and Destroyer have formed flower buds and next to them is the purple potato Shadow Queen and another Kita Murasaki. One of these also is forming flowers. This hot weather is not helping my potatoes flower though.

Tom Wagner, thanks for your TPS. They are doing well. I have planted out some TPS seedlings in the back yard. I have also planted out another batch in a row in my alotment. First I had to fend off freak cold weather, now I am fighting off a heatwave. anyway so far so good. I am now expecting an insect explosion following this hot weather we have been having so that will be the next test probably!

The TPS seedlings that I have planted out that I remember are:

Enfula, Muru, Mt St Helens, Boyd Dude, Chieftan, Yungay, Magic Dragons, Russett Nuggett, Redder Blood

Yet to plant out: Diamond Toro,Nordic October.
TPS planted later, (still small), Huagalina, Chunguina, Skagit Blast, Boy Pig, Khuchi khoochi, Pokhipsi, Criolla Rosada, Pig Knuckles.

Last edited by Stimacked; May 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old May 15, 2013   #8
Tom Wagner

I am glad to see that my varieties of TPS are being grown out in Japan. It would be an honor to see the progress of the seedlings.

BTW, about 7 years ago I did a write up on potatoes in Japan...a bit out of date but fun to look at again....

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2810
Old May 16, 2013   #9
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few more photos of my potato growing efforts. I have more TPS seedlings to plant out this weekend at the allotment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burlap sack potatoes May 16.jpg (144.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Chieftan May 16 backyard.jpg (177.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Redder Blood and Chieftan. May 16. backyard.jpg (178.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Enfula, backyard may 16.jpg (156.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Muru backyard. May 16.jpg (158.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg potato seedling from TPS. May.jpg (32.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Red Moon in flower. May 16.jpg (104.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Shadow Queen in flower.jpg (98.2 KB, 35 views)
Old May 22, 2013   #10
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2810

This thread has snaps from the varieties I am growing, posted there by accident but its a related thread.

Here is the list of Tats I am growing from that thread..

Benimaru,
Bihoro
Chijiwa
Danohakuimo
Dejima
Eniwa
Hokkaiaka
Jukijiro
Nagasaki Zairai
Niseco
Norin 1
Norin 2
Ojiiro
Rishiri
Shireto
Tachibana
Tarumae
Toyoshiro
Unzen
Waseshiro
May Queen ( egg shaped russett with white flesh)
Dejima
Nishiyutaka
Kita-akari ( russett skin with creamy white flesh)
Touya
Sayaka
Hokkaikogane
Kitahime
Beniakari
Konafubuke
Inca-no-mezame ( Russet with yellow flesh, maybe similar to Yungay??)
Inca Red
Inca Purple

Apart from Danshaku, the Irish Cobbler Potato
I'm, Growing the highlighted four of the above as well as another eight kinds:
Andes Red (Red skin, white flesh, similar to Inca Red??)
Destroyer (as mentioned above, mutated from Red Moon)
Red Moon ( Red skinned, Yellow fleshed, said to be from an American variety)
Inka no Hitomi (similar to Inka no Mezame)
Shadow Queen (purple skin, light purple flesh, seems to be advertised as a darker purple)
Star Ruby ( red skin, red flesh?)
Northern Ruby ( purple skin, light purple flesh, I think)
Old May 23, 2013   #11
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

http://shizuokagourmet.com/2010/03/2...sic-knowledge/

Good article including some of the varieties I am growing

Imo: “Japanese Tubers”-The Varieties and Basic Knowledge

——————————
JYAGA IMO/じゃが芋/POTATOES

Incidentally (repeat!) nothing, pictures included, is copyrighted in my food blogs, so please feel free to use anything!

“Danshaku”
Potatoes were first introduced to Japan in 1910 by Baron Kawata from Great Britain/Ireland giving the name of “Danshaku/Baron” to the most commonly used potato in Japan, especially in croquettes and salads.
The biggest potato exporters to Japan are China and India, although more and more grown locally.
Over the years Japanese famers have greatly expanded the number of varieties, and it has became an embarrassment ofchoices.
Below are varieties found in Japnese supermarkets:

“Kita Akari” used for mashed potatoes and croquettes,

“May Queen” used in stews,

“Toyoshishiro” used for fried potatoes,

“Red Andes” used for croquettes and Pot au feu,

“Inca No Mezame” used for stews.

“Inca No Hitomi”. Also called “Inca no Mezame”, they are popular for their nutty taste.

“Hokkai Kogane”. Grown mainly in Hokkaido Island, they have the particularity to oxydize and change colour a lot later than other potatoes.

“Tokachi Kogane”. Can be stocked and preserved a long time. Make for great fried potato chips!

“Mathilda”. Fine-grained and usually vey regular-shaped, theycan be presented whole for good effect.

“Touya”. Very good for long cooking as they don’t break away easily.

“Star Ruby”. A relatively new viety very apt for stews.

“Cynthia”. Recently imported vaiety from France. Very fine grain. Does break up even after being cooked long time.

“Kita Murasaki”. Very unusual potato with skin and flesh of the same colour. Better fried than boiled as wate will get couloured.

“Red Moon”. Also called “Red May Queen”, great for stews.
Potatoes are available all year round, but are at their peak from May to July in Japan when new potatoes can be eaten whole!
New potatoes can be found from Februray to June.
FACTS CARD:
-Season: All year round
-76 kcal per 10 g
-Main elements: carbohydrates (high energy), Vitamin C1, B1, B2, B6 (thanks to a large amount of natural starch in potatoes, the vitamin C will resist heating!), Potassium, Magnesium, Iron.
-Preservation: Wrap potatoes inside newspaper and keep them in a dark, well-ventilated place away from the sunlight.
TIPS:
-Choose specimens well-rounded and with healthy skin. Avoid specimens with buds or of greenish colour (risks of diarrhea). Cut out all “dark spots”!
-Preserve them together with apples to prevent buds from coming out!
-To avoid a change of colour, wash potatoes in water after peeling or cutting.
-If you want to keep your potatoes for a while after boiling them, plunge them in (change it as many times as necessary) cold water until completely cooled down. They will not break or crumble when used later.
-After boiling cut potatoes, throw away water and keep heating them until they have lost a great part of their moisture. They will attain a crispy enough nature without resorting to deep-frying!
HEALTH FACTS:
-Combined with kiwi fruit or cucumber, or green tea, or mayonnaise, they help combat cancer, high blood pressure and ageing.
-Combined with Chinese cabbage, or peach, or banana, or honey, they help combat digestive disorders.
-Combined lemon, or strawberries, or spinach, or broccoli, they help combat stress, constipation and cancer.
-Combined with vinegar, or chicken, or bonito (katsuo), or oysters, they provide extra body stamina.

Last edited by Stimacked; May 23, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old May 23, 2013   #12
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Here is the part of the article related to Yams and other "Imo"

Imo: “Japanese Tubers”-The Varieties and Basic Knowledge

“IMO YOUKAN”, Japanese vegan cake made with sweet potato
Following the numerous queries on recently posted articles on “IMO” or “TUber” in Jaoanese, I thought it would come useful to froup all these articles into a single one for better comprehension and easier reference.
The problem is that “IMO/芋” in Japanese is a generic term used for all tubers, which mans totally unrelated species in some cases!
As far as the Japanese gastronomy is concerned, “IMO” can be divided roughly into 4 distinct groups:
SATO IMO/里芋, or TARO in English.
These are usually steamed or boiled and eaten as such or further cooked in stews. They can also be stewed directly by peeling and cutting them before throwing them into the pot.
It originated in Indonesia. Iy is becoming increasingly available in Asian markets all over the world.
YAMA IMO/山芋/ or YAM in English.
Yams can be eaten raw cut to size in salads, or grated as “Tororo Jiru/とろろ汁” (A specialty of Shizuoka Prefecture!) and served with rice, sashimi and so forth.
Grated, it also becomes a valuable liaise/link ingredient in Japanese gastronomy as a subsitute for wheat or cornstarch.
Varieties are found in many countries, but the Japanese use is very distinct.
Look for them in Asian markets.
SATSUMA IMO/薩摩芋/, or SWEET POTATOES in English.
Originating from the American Continent, they have become a universal treat.
Japan, on the other hand, has developped many local varieties over the years.
JYAGA IMO/じゃが芋, or POTATOES in English.
Like the sweet potatoes, potatoes Originated from the American Continent and have become the universal vegetable par excellence!
Japan, likewise, has developped many local varieties over the years.
Although plenty of explanations and suggestions will be found below, vegan and vegetarian should refer to VEGAN RECIPES where IMO is extensively represented, while omnivores should check SIMPLE RECIPES where they will have to look around!LOL
As this posting is for sharing do feel free to boroow and copy whatever strikes your fancy!
SATO IMO/里芋/TARO

Taro, also called Dasheen, and one of several plants called Cocoyam ,is a tropical plant grown primarily as a vegetable food for its edible corm, and secondarily as a leaf vegetable. It is considered a staple in Oceanic cultures. It is believed to be one of the earliest cultivated plants. In its raw form the plant is toxic due to the presence of calcium oxalate, although the toxin is destroyed by cooking or can be removed by steeping taro roots in cold water overnight. Taro is closely related to Xanthosoma and Caladium, plants commonly grown as ornamentals, and like them it is sometimes loosely called elephant ear.
The name “taro” is from Tahitian or other Polynesian languages; the plant is also called kalo (from Hawaiian), gabi in The Philippines, dalo in Fiji, Alu (अळू) in Marathi, seppankizhangu in Tamil, chembu in Malayalam, Arvee, Arvi, or Arbi in Hindi, Kosu in Assamese, Kochu(কচু) in Bengali, and Karkalo in Nepali.
In Japan, it is called satoimo (サトイモ, satoimo), (kanji: 里芋) “village potato”. The “child” and “grandchild” corms which bud from the parent satoimo, are called imonoko (芋の子, imonoko). Satoimo has been propagated in Southeast Asia since the late Jōmon period. It was a regional staple food before rice became predominant.
The tuber, satoimo, is often prepared through simmering, but occasionally grated and eaten raw or steamed. The stalk, zuiki, can also be prepared a number of ways, depending on its variety.
It is a very popular tuber in Japan and although the best season runs from September to November, it is very easy to conserve and is extensively used in many Japanese dishes.
It is of especially great value to vegetarians and vegans!
Here are some sample of cooking amenable to special priorities:

Sato Imo An/Taro in sweet and sour sauce

Taro wholly fried and seasoned with umeboshi/pickled Japanese plums

Sato Imo Nikome/Stewed Taro
TARO/SATO IMO VARIETIES:

Ishikawawase, very tender once steamed. Must be peeled before consumption.

Dodare, with strong stickiness, very soft, prevalent in Eastern Japan.

Kyo Imo, also called Take no Ko Imo, very popular for its long shape.

Chiba Maru, great and elegant taste.

Ebi Imo, although called Tou no Imo, quite sticky.

Yatsu Gashira, “Eight heads”, great stewed.

Serebesu, little stickiness, can be cooked as normal potato.

Hasu Imo, is not actually the tuber itself but the stems, eaten as green vegetables.

Yamato Wase, from Niigate and Toyama Prefectures, very white, sticky and fine-grained.

Yahata Imo, from Niigata Prefecture, great for stews.

Dentouji Sato Imo, sticky. Stems can be also eaten.

Zuiki Imo, are actually edible shoots of sato imo, mainly cooked in stews.
FACTS:
-Very rich in potassium and phosphorus!
-Vitamins B1, B2 and C.
-Rich in fibers.
TIPS:
-Best season: September~November.
-Prevent them from getting dry. Wrap them in newspaper with their attached mud/soil and keep in a well ventilated place away from the light.
-When cut, the best specimens are uniformly white without specks or blemishes.
-Very beneficial against obesity.
HEALTH FACTS:
-Combined with eggs, or chicken, or sardines, or bonito, helps brain activity and increases stamina.
-Combined with tofu, or dry bonito shavings, or skimmed milk, helps brain activity.
-Combined with mushrooms, or devil’s tongue tuber, or burdock root, helps lower blood cholesterol and cobat high blood pressure and cancer.
-Combined with seaweed, or miso, or onions, or chili peppers, helps with digestion and blood flow.
———————————————-
YAMA IMO/山芋/YAMS

Yama no Imo Plant
Yama Imo or Yama no Imo/山芋 is the Japanese name for Japanese Yam.
It has been picked in its natural form and cultivated for eons in Japan where it comes into many recipes, either as a vegetable of its own or as an additive to Japanese recipes as a liaising ingredient.
It is also extensively used in vegetarian (vegan) cuisine in this country.
It is also very much valued for its stamina and medicinal properties.
FACTS:
-Contains a high amount of potassium, calcium, magnesium, natrium and other minerals.
Rich in Vitamin B1, B2, B6 and C and vegetal fibers.
-Easy to digest and eat either raw or cooked.
VARIETIES:
There are quite a few varieties and can be all used in the same way:

Yama no imo: Nagaimo/長い芋

Shizenjyo is the natural and highly priced Japanese Yam!

Ichyo Imo

Tsukune Imo

Mukago
Mukago is actually the aerial seed and can be eaten. Slightly expensive considering the size, but great taste, boiled or deep-fried.
TIPS:
-Choose a specimen that shows a uniform colour without blemishes.
-Some people’skin might get irritated when cutting the yama Imo. In this case deep-freeze it first and cut it as it is.
-Preserve as a whole wrapped into newspaper inside the fridge.
-Preserve it cut inside an airtight vinyl bag in the freezer.
COOKING:

It is greatly appreciated just cut in thin slices/sticks with a little ponzu, shiso and ponzu!

It is often served as a component of an array of dishes into a full Japanese meal. Grated into paste, it is called “tororo”.

It can be sauteed/fried with olive oil, sesame oil or butter!

Grated, it can combined with tofu,

or into okonmiyaki!

It can also become a great appetizer when combined with agar agar!

Europeans and Americans will appreciate it as a gratin!
HEALTH FACTS:
-Combined with daikon, or turnips, or Chinese cabbage, or chili peppers, helps reinforce the digestive system and appetite.
-Combined with okra, or lotus roots, or nameko mushrooms, helps lower blood cholesterol and provides additional stamina.
-Combined with soy beans, or pomegranate, or myoga ginger, helps balance hormones and blood circulation.
-Combined with cabbage, or potatoes, or broccoli, or Chinese cabbage, helps combat cancer and ageing.
Old May 23, 2013   #13
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

This part relates to Sweet Potatoes:

SATSUMA IMO/薩摩芋/SWEET POTATOES

Yams or “Satsuma Imo” were first introduced to Japan in the Ryukyu Islands (Okinawa) in 1604 by the Chinese. It was then introduced in Kyushu in 1609, an area that grows 80% of the total Japanese production.
As rightly pointed out by Cometiblog, sweet potatoes should not be confused with yams or yama imo/山芋 in Japanese.
It has been recognized in this country for a long time for both its nutritional and pharmaceutical qualities.

There are over a hundred species in Japan, but the most popular edible ones (not the ones exclusively used for making shochu) have red skins and light yellow flesh.

Beni Azuma, mostly eaten in Eastern Japan. Turns very sweet upon cooking.

Naruto Kintoki, popular in Western Japan. Considered elegant and sweet.

Tosabeni, also attributed “No 14 value (top)”, is very sweet and is a “brand name” sweet potato.

Cheese cake combination with Tosabeni Sweet Potato!

Manamusume, another “No 14 value” brand sweeet potato.

Gorou Shima Kintoki, particularly popular as baked sweet potato.

Kogane Sengan, considered as the top shochu sweet potato.

Tanegashima Mukashi Mitsu, a sweet potao with a beautiful orange colour and elegant taste.

Tanegashima Murasaki Imo, as above, but with a beautiful purple colour.

Annou Imo, rich in carotens, with a beautiful orange colour and very sweet.

Annou Imo cuisine!

Purple Sweet Road, an interesting name for a sweet tasty hybrid.

The same as above as hyokan Japanese jelly!

My personal favorite is the “Tanegashima Gold Imo” grown in Taneko Island south of Kyushu. It has the particularity of being red when raw before chaning to a rich golden color when cooked. Among other varieties, the violet sweet potatoes are getting increasingly popular.

Tanekoshima sweet potato (deep yellow), “common sweet potato” (light yellow) and Murasaki/Violet potato.
The Missus particularly likes to mix the three above as a cold salad with mayonnaise or cream-based dressing.
FACTS:
-Season: September to November
-Main elements: Carbohydrates, Carotene, Vitamin B, C, E. Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, vegetal fibers.
-Beneficial to digestion. Good for the skin!
-Lose very little of its beneficial elements even after a long cooking.
TIPS:
-Choose specimens with nice color and a “fat/roundish” aspect!
-Plunge yam in cold water as soon as you have cut them. They will not lose their color!
-Boil, bake or steam long enough before taking skin off. Discard skin!
-Leaves can be eaten!
HEALTH FACTS:
-Combined with burdock root, or shiitake, or carrot, or spinach, helps combat colds, helps enhance skin health, helps combat llung and intestine cancer.
-Combined with devil’s tongue tuber, or hijiki sweet seaweeed, or beansprouts, or apple, helps combat cancer, constipation, obesity, and artery hardening.
-Combined with Judas ear mushroom, or shiitake, or seaweed, or hijiki sweet seaweed, helps lower blood cholesterol, helps combat obesity and diabetes.
-Combined with strawberries, or lemon, or pimentoes, helps combat stress, helps skin rejuvenation and intensifies appetite.
Old May 23, 2013   #14
Tom Wagner

Thanks. Lots of good information there and great photos
Old June 6, 2013   #15
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

An update on my potato growing attempts.

Tom Wagner here is an update of my potato growing attempts.
I have 16 of your TPS seedlings growing in the backyard. Planted out around May 11th. I pulled out a few of these due to aphid problems!!

Tom Wagner TPS
I have another 18 or so TPS seedlings growing in my aloment. Have shaded these to help them from getting scorched in the roasting sun. Lettuce have grown large and have helped to maintain moisture levels. I have another bunch of about 30 more of your TPS seedlings to plant out. Probably too late, but they were small, so I repotted them again in bigger pots. Will plant them in the next few days.

BURLAP BAG tats
I pulled out 2 bags of the Burlap tats, looked sick. Most of my remaining 19 Burlap bag potato sacks have finished flowering and are at Bulking up stage now. I have harvested and eaten a few.
Some of the skins tasted a bit bitter but the insides were nice.

Village High school row
Planted a row with volunteers from one of the High schools I work at. They are now starting to flower.

BAD Tats growing weather ??
Weather has been unseasonanally hot and dry. There has been an aphid explosion!! May was one of the hottest on record and I think we had 5 days with rain in a month, its usually cool with about 15 rain days. The rainy season has been declared two weeks earlier than usual, except instead of rain, its just been dry and getting hotter and hotter. temps of 32-35 forcast for most of next week! Crazy, this is normal weather for August! Luckily had some good rain yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alotment TPS seedlings with Lettuce, may 31.jpg (40.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Potatoes harvested from Burlap bags.jpg (145.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg New potatoes for dinner May 27.jpg (76.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Burlap potato plants, may 31.jpg (121.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Backyard TPS seedlings June 1.jpg (169.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Enfula backyard May 26.jpg (142.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Stimacked; June 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM.