Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2023   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default The deluge has begun

Yesterday I picked 3 ripe Glacier tomatoes. Today I picked 7 ripe Stupice. Tomorrow will be Bloody Butcher's turn. I have about 450 tomato plants in the ground along with about 200 pepper plants. There will be enough tomatoes to make about 5000 pizzas. I'm in deep trouble. 4 ounce orange cauliflower and 5.4 pound cabbage also from the garden today.

Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2023   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful! What tomatoes are you most excited for this year?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2023   #3
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

The problem you have is the same as mine. No Mozzarella plants.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2023   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

We had our first Taste Patio tomatoes in a salad the other night. I bought some Certo cherry tomatoes from the store as I didn't have enough tomatoes. Certo taste very good in the winter time, but they could not compare with TP for flavour .
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2023   #5
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I knew those were Stupice.
Old June 21, 2023   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've run the sawmill too long, seen too many logs. I don't get that excited over new tomatoes. BUT: I have a potato leaf version of J.D.'s Special C-Tex that Craig Lehoullier sent to me. I'm looking forward to finding out if it tastes as good as the RL version. I also have several new to me varieties that will get put through their paces.

I saw a ripe Mexico Midget earlier. Time for some tomato salads!
Old June 23, 2023   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Here in Atlanta, only the cherries are turning. We have had cool temps all spring long.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2023   #8
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

No ripe tomatoes yet. Lots of broccoli (which is a favorite) lettuce, and a few other things.

To get a jump on things, I grow a few plants in homemade "earth boxes"...I figure I can haul them in and out if frost threatens. I will have micro tomatoes in a few days.

The larger-vined varieties are hardrr to manage when they get nearer full sized.

Note to Fusion: I'm still growing Heshpole, which originated from a chance cross with Large Pink Bulgarian at your farm (nobody with hundreds of tomatoes can call it a garden!)

The ones I selected for blossom retention during cold nights might vary slightly from your Tastiheart (A few fertilized blossoms survived a dip into the 30's last year)
It will not offer as many truly large, crack-free fruits as other similar sorts (in my experience Swoon gets that one) but is almost always the first large tomato ripe here.

I have some almost fist-sized greenies now.

I'm grateful. Thanks, Darryl.

Pic of Heshpole early July 2020, MN.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old June 25, 2023   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The Large Pink Bulgarian cross with a heart was grown from seed purchased from Chuck Wyatt. The genetics were extremely interesting. On April 7th 2007, a cold front swept down dropping temperatures to 22 degrees F. I had several trays of seedlings killed as my greenhouse was not prepared for temps that low. A tray with "Tastiheart" seedlings had about 50% survival. I kept the line alive from those plants. The current generation of Tastiheart carries significant cold tolerance. Your Heshpole would have had the same original genetics and similar potential to select for cold tolerance. From your description, it may have the "ft" (fruiting temperature) gene which permits pollination down to about 40 degrees.

There were two lines from the original plant, LPB Heart A and LPB Heart B. The best I recall, A line stabilized to small hearts and was discontinued. B line stabilized into large 4 to 5 inch diameter blunt hearts. You selected Heshpole (HEart SHaped POtato LEaf) from seed I sent somewhere around 2004 or 2005. I selected Tastiheart and further selected for cold tolerance after the 2007 freeze. I've grown Heshpole. It is a very good tomato!