Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2018   #31
bower
Tomatovillian™

I find it interesting to read what people do in so many different situations, whether they grow organic or not, north, south, farm, garden.... I've learned a lot of helpful things from people who do things differently than I do... whether they do spray or not, I'm grateful to hear their experience. So I'm glad this is not a forum where there are a lot of arguments about "should" or "should not".
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #32
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I find it interesting to read what people do in so many different situations, whether they grow organic or not, north, south, farm, garden.... I've learned a lot of helpful things from people who do things differently than I do... whether they do spray or not, I'm grateful to hear their experience. So I'm glad this is not a forum where there are a lot of arguments about "should" or "should not".
I so agree with that^

I don't spray at all. I've mostly learned from here how to be more observant and pro-active. I have the basic
arsenal of reactive ingredients on hand like a fresh sticky trap when seed starting. Just a few gnats early on that
dilute peroxide took care of or may have been fruit flies. Baking soda, potassium bicarbonate, Neem/soap.
A mosquito dunk if needed. Aphids and fungus gnats last year, none this year.

Just spotted my first tortoise beetle last night but I just pick those off.

An early battle with powdery mildew due to so much damp rainy weather seems under control now using PB/soap.

I read all climate/zone issues. I don't think any spraying needs defending especially in moderation. Even a bad tomato
year like last season I had plenty of fruit all season.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #33
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I like my home-grown veggies and fruits to be organic so I don't spray. Septoria and Early Blight blow in on the wind every year, even in a drought. I remove the lower leaves, then the yellowed ones, then the infected ones. Usually manage to stay ahead long enough to get a harvest before the frost comes .

I know that some of the sprays are "organic" but I am growing my tomatoes in soil, and I don't want to negatively affect the soil web or the multitude of earthworms.

Linda
To each their own, but you saw first hand what happened to mine when I didn't spray. I can't even imagine in my long season with all our constant humidity and many foggy days not spraying once or twice during that season. We have a 10 month season if we let it. I dont claim that my way is the only way, but I cant imagine all the time and work getting my plants to grow, then having them done in prematurely by disease. Its my own choice, and I fully respect other folks making a different choice. I use organically recognized treatments for my disease and pest control. Also, I grow in pots, not the ground, and I use at only 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength. However organic for me, not a religion......
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #34
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
To each their own, but you saw first hand what happened to mine when I didn't spray. I can't even imagine in my long season with all our constant humidity and many foggy days not spraying once or twice during that season. We have a 10 month season if we let it. I dont claim that my way is the only way, but I cant imagine all the time and work getting my plants to grow, then having them done in prematurely by disease. Its my own choice, and I fully respect other folks making a different choice. I use organically recognized treatments for my disease and pest control. Also, I grow in pots, not the ground, and I use at only 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength. However organic for me, not a religion......
You nailed it Marsha! You have a longer season and don't want your plants to croak prematurely. Our season is probably less than half of yours, so I can "usually" (never say never) grab my maters and run

BTW I just planted out all my maters, peppers and eggplants over the last 3 days and am pooped out

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #35
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I started out gardening all organic and that was just fine for about the first six years. Then, two years in a row, I lost all my tomato plants to various diseases just as the tomatoes were getting to full sized greens. I put in way too many months of effort and coddling them to waste my time on a failed crop with nothing to show for it. We don't generally have long stretches of humid weather, so I can get by with spraying Daconil about every two or three weeks, depending on rainfall. On average, I only use it about 3 times each season. I also use Bill's bleach spray after heavy rains if I see anything suspicious. I quit with the Daconil in August, because chances are any damage starting at that time will keep pace with the ending of my season anyway. My hat is off to anyone who can consistently get their tomatoes ripe without using any chemical methods. I tried, and for me, it's not worth the chance. I think everyone's local conditions, climate, management methods, and of course LUCK differ a bit from year to year, so you need to do what feels right for your situation.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #36
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My mom & I were talking about our younger years, growing tomatoes, with never any disease.

Now as of last year Septoria cropped up in my garden. I pull leaves and do some spraying. Also dusting with DE when called for. Not terribly often; must schedule it around rains, and I'm not diligent, but I reluctantly do it.

My mom just pulls leaves and got about one month less harvest than I did.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
My mom & I were talking about our younger years, growing tomatoes, with never any disease.

Now as of last year Septoria cropped up in my garden. I pull leaves and do some spraying. Also dusting with DE when called for. Not terribly often; must schedule it around rains, and I'm not diligent, but I reluctantly do it.

My mom just pulls leaves and got about one month less harvest than I did.

Nan
One month less of harvest is quite a lot of fruit for me.
Old May 30, 2018   #38
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I started out gardening all organic and that was just fine for about the first six years. Then, two years in a row, I lost all my tomato plants to various diseases just as the tomatoes were getting to full sized greens. I put in way too many months of effort and coddling them to waste my time on a failed crop with nothing to show for it. We don't generally have long stretches of humid weather, so I can get by with spraying Daconil about every two or three weeks, depending on rainfall. On average, I only use it about 3 times each season. I also use Bill's bleach spray after heavy rains if I see anything suspicious. I quit with the Daconil in August, because chances are any damage starting at that time will keep pace with the ending of my season anyway. My hat is off to anyone who can consistently get their tomatoes ripe without using any chemical methods. I tried, and for me, it's not worth the chance. I think everyone's local conditions, climate, management methods, and of course LUCK differ a bit from year to year, so you need to do what feels right for your situation.
Truth.
Old May 31, 2018   #39
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ja, but what kind of water, ocean water,lake water, river water,etc.

It might or might not make a difference. And yes I know about dew on the plants in early AM,and sometimes fog around as well,before the sun hopefully comes out and takes care of those conditions.

Carolyn
Another dewey night. Don't need to be outside to know as I can hear the lighthouse blaring away
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote