Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 25, 2007   #16
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Winter Dwarves in the Greenhouse: re colored pots

Michael, I have pots of all sizes and colors from 5 to 26 gal in white, black, yellow, pink, green (light and dark), and orange. I only grow in the summer here and pot color doesn't make much difference in soil temps for me.

I mulch the tops with about 2 inches of crushed pecan shells. My plants get from 7-10 hrs of direct sun, Can't tell if there is that much difference in water consumption between colors.

regards, Bill
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bill-where do you get your crushed pecan shells? Cruces?
Old January 25, 2007   #18
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Pecan shells

Michael,
I usually buy about 100 lbs of unshelled nuts each year and then shell them for Christmas and birthday gifts for my 3 kids back east.

There is a pecan shelling plant located by the old WalMart on the southbound I-25 service road off of Loman sp? that puts them out for free almost every day in a big pile but they go fast and you have to get there early, like 6-7 am. Stahlman Pecan Orchards in Mesilla might be a source as they have a big shelling plant there.

You might check some of the other shelling plants in the Cruces area as a source. Sometimes you can get them from a nursery or landscape place in Cruces, but I don't know what the cost might be in bulk or a truckload. Hope this helps,
Bill
Old January 25, 2007   #19
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Spud-Thanks for the info. I will talk to some of my friends-one of them has a pecan farm in the family. I am waiting for Schwarze Tomate to germinate-I think its close-will save seed and pass it back to you. Be well. Michael

ps-I drove by Hillsboro 2 fridays ago in the snow-tried to call you to say hello, but my cell wasnt working.
Old January 25, 2007   #20
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Winter Dwarves...telly call to spud

Michael,
No cell phone servce in Hillsboro because the town sits down in the creek bottom and out of a direct sight of the cell repeater. The cell repeater is 15 miles to the east on top of Caballo Mountain across Caballo Lake.
You have to go east to the 52 mile marker on NM 152 (Hillsboro is at the 148) or go to the cemetery (29 mile marker) at the top of the hill on NM 27 for cell phones to work.

Sorry I missed you as I was pretty much home here during the snow. Hillsboro got 14" and Kingston (9 mi. west) got 22" in this latest storm(s) over the weekend.

While snowed in, I was able to build 2 new seedboxes, 10W x 14L x 6H, out of some beautful wooden wine boxes that I just couldn't throw away . I put a 12' brass piano hinge and brass latches on them to lock them shut. Waxed the outside to show off the wood grain.
Now, all my seeds are not jammed into one box.

Best regards,
Bill
Old January 25, 2007   #21
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bill-seedbox sounds nice-can you post a photo?
Old January 25, 2007   #22
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed boxes

Michael
I'll have to take a few pics and send them. Still have to put the piano hinge and latches on.
Old February 2, 2007   #23
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is the latest photo of harvest-Today I harvested 50 mini red cherry, and about 50 or more of other varieties. In the photo are new big dwarf, citron compact, mini-red cherry, lime green salad, french primabel, mano rugose.

Old February 3, 2007   #24
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michael...Inspiration for my planting...How did Primabel taste, say compared to Polish Dwarf ? Is Japanese Dwarf setting fruit yet ? Have you any more dwarf plants yet to taste from that planting ?

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2007   #25
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeane-French Primabel was a real disapointment for me-maybe too cold for it-mealy and watery and bland taste. JD is just getting ready to set fruit. Patio King and Bush Charabonsky are fruited, and Demidov has one fruit set so far with a lot more to come. PK will go into the mail to you by Monday.
Old March 20, 2007   #26
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default Lighting question

Michael, do you need to light your greenhouse at all? Up here I would need lights and heat to grow tomatoes during the fall/winter.

I have a smallish greenhouse that comes in a box. You put it together yourself. About 6 feet long, a bit over 6 feet tall and 4 or 5 feet wide. I'm always amazed at how even a 70 F. day will heat the inside of a greenhouse. I've had to recycle lots of little pots that have melted in there.

maryinpnw
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #27
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mary-I dont need any lighting at all since I live in El Paso. The dtms are longer here during the winter, but I still get ripe fruit in a reasonalbe time.