Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 19, 2012   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default propagating blueberry bushes

I have about 7 or 8 varieties of blueberry bushes on my property. There is one, I can't remember what kind it is, I think it is "Duke" and I am considering attempting to propagate it. I wish I could remember what it is but I have so many- elliott, blueray, bluecrop, jersey, etc... So I thought I would just try to propagate the one I'm liking the best lately.

I found this little clip on youtube on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI_GX...&feature=email

Has anyone out there done this? If you have, do you have any tips, tricks? Did it work for you?

If this is a repeat post, feel free to direct me to the link of the old post.

Thanks for your help and your time. I hope everyone is having a good growing season so far. My North Queen tomatoes are growing like the dickens and they are like monster plants. If the tomatoes are good, I am sharing this one next year with all of you.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer, last year, when I was putting in my bushes, I had a branch break. I stuck it in the ground next to the bush, and it just rooted there. Not difficult at all.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried this, but I will now. I have 3 mature blueberry plants. I lost
the tag to my favorite one which has the largest blueberries. Looks really
simple and I already have rooting hormone.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer - I think the YouTube video provides a pretty good overview of the process. He doesn't touch on the timing, which is important. You want to take your cutting from new growth that has hardened off just a bit. It's hard to remember just when that happens, but I'm thinking late Spring. Also, I've had better luck rooting cuttings in sand or Turface, rather than peat. I find that, with spaghnum peat, it is difficult to maintain the ideal moisture. Too much and the cutting rots; too little and it doesn't root. I like using sand or a calcined clay product sold under the brand name Turface. Turface is especially good - it holds moisture, but is granular, so it also has adequate porosity.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #5
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jennifer.

Maybe try 3 parts perlite to 1 part peat moss. This is what I use to root grape cuttings. It keeps the cutting moist, but it won't rot.

You can also grow blueberries from seed.

Don't forget to pay applicable royalties on patented varieties...
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer,

I haven't tried that method of propagating blueberries. Years ago, I researched it. I think a greenhouse and overhead mister were needed for the best success. I wish you well if you attempt this method.

The method I've used is dormant cuttings (from the previous years new growth). I'm assuming your plants have leafed out, so it's too late to try dormant cuttings this year.

I have about 60 blueberry plants in my yard. About 50 are named cultivars. Almost all are highbush, with a few lowbush, and a few "mid-highs". Also, huckleberry, deerberry, cranberry, lingonberry, etc...

This year, the only thing I'm adding is Caucasian whortleberry, if I remember it correctly.

Next year, I'll probably do some propagation with dormant cuttings. I'll likely have extras.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #7
O.P. Mater
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer, I tried something last year that worked for me. It involved splitting the blueberry stem, inserting a toothpick and walking away. Several months later, you come back and remove the calloused stem. Treat it as any other woody cutting. Here's the link.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...313215085.html

You begin this in August if you decide to try it. Good luck~
O.P. Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #8
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

All my bushes are the ever green rabbiteye type,cant seem to be able to buy the highbush types in New Zealand any more.
Ive done a whole heap by layering,takes about 18 months before there's enough roots to allow the main stem to be cut

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote