Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 21, 2017   #256
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

That is a different page. The main page for canning potatoes is in the link I posted. Their caveat for elevation could be because the area elevation is near 1000 ft. I realize you are trying to prove them wrong but they aren't.
Old October 21, 2017   #257
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
That is a different page. The main page for canning potatoes is in the link I posted. Their caveat for elevation could be because the area elevation is near 1000 ft. I realize you are trying to prove them wrong but they aren't.
I am not trying to prove anything or anyone wrong.
Just pointing out if someone looked at this one page for information it would be false and misleading and just trying to help.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #258
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
You didn't read the whole page on canning potatoes, Worth.

"Vegetables may be canned without salt. Salt adds flavor but does not prevent spoilage. If you use a weighted-gauge canner and can at an altitude less than 1000 feet, you may use 10 PSI instead of 15 PSI for the canner pressure. This will improve nutrient and quality retention of the vegetables. Check with your local county extension office or Soil Conservation District for altitude information."

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/fo...ning-potatoes/
altitude? elevation.... not altitude.
Old October 21, 2017   #259
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
altitude? elevation.... not altitude.
For canning needs, both are interchangeable. terms that mean the same thing. I had to look to be sure, LOL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alti...utf-8&oe=utf-8

al·ti·tude
ˈaltəˌt(y)o͞od/
noun
noun: altitude; plural noun: altitudes; noun: alt.
the height of an object or point in relation to sea level or ground level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ElevationThe elevation of a geographic location is its height above or below a fixed reference point, most commonly a reference geoid, a mathematical model of the Earth's sea level as an equipotential gravitational surface
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #260
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All this altitude stuff got me to looking and I came upon a science quiz and took it.
I got 11 of 12 answers correct.
I missed the who developed the polio vaccine and knew it when I clicked on my answer Marie Curie.
My score was better than 82% of the public.
The test is broken down demographically by gender, age education, and race and tells a lot.

But to stay within the subject of this thread the most missed two questions were.
Denver, Colorado, is at a higher altitude than Los Angeles, California. Which of these statements is correct?

The other was.
The loudness of a sound is determined by what property of a sound wave?

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/
Old October 21, 2017   #261
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
my mehu liisa pan I bought 5 years or so ago. as I was waling in to Lehmans the clerk was remarking them another 10.00 since they had just gotten their new shipment in. if I hadn't called to see if they had them I would have had to pay 150.00 for it instead of 140.00. I see they are up to 190.00 but the victorio is a bit cheaper. I will have to check at the Amish store the next time I am that direction to check on the cost.if it is really economical I will let you know and be willing to ship it to you if you are interested. They carry the victorio not the mehu liisa.
Steam juicers are common here and Mehu-Liisa is actually made in Finland. I bought mine from https://mehuliisa.com/ when we lived in USA, since I had not my own when we moved to USA. Earlier I used to borrow the steam juicer from my mother. Price in USA is double from the price Finland, but shipping one would had cost as much as ordering from the guy, who imports them. There used to be two sizes and I first got the small one. I borrowed it to a lady at the office and she loved it so much that she bought it from me. I then ordered the bigger one for myself.

I use mine for juicing berries and steaming apples when making apple sauce. I usually steam the berries, so that there is still some juice and color left and then I run the solids through the food mill to seedless and skinless pulp. I mix sugar and pectin to the pulp and cook and can it to seedless jam. There is just little waste of the berries after processing to juice and jam.

Sari
Old October 22, 2017   #262
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

AMPLITUDE!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017   #263
taboule
Tomatovillian™

It all boils down to attitude.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #264
imp
Tomatovillian™

Aldi's put baby portabella mushrooms on sale for 69 cents for 8 ounces, grabbed a bunch and canning them up. Just finished 10 pints in beef broth, cooling now. More to do tomorrow, plus the chicken thighs they put on sale for 69 cents a pound; United also has the same for 89 cents per pound this week.

The mushrooms look pretty peeking out of the very dark brown stock.

Gonna be a busy week.
Old October 23, 2017   #265
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Imp don't forget to can up those three mice that your pretty kitty put on the table. I bet that they look better in those jars than meals with guns and axes by the plates.
Old October 23, 2017   #266
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Imp don't forget to can up those three mice that your pretty kitty put on the table. I bet that they look better in those jars than meals with guns and axes by the plates.
Ahhh, too late, they are gone with the Garbage truck to that big dump in the county Though they may return as compost in a year or two.

Besides, I couldn't find an approved recipe for canning them.
Old October 23, 2017   #267
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you know that every year people try to fraud canneries by putting mice in canned goods like soup.
There has been all manner of things they have tried to make money.

Worth
Old October 23, 2017   #268
imp
Tomatovillian™

Chicken thighs being canned as I post. Seasoned the broth with some oregano, basil, a teeny bit of poultry seasoning and garlic. Went light on the seasonings as some herbs seem to increase in strength after canning, but wanted a bit more traditional flavoring this time.
Old October 23, 2017   #269
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Imp. all joking aside... I just read a story of a N Korean escapee who came from a world of starvation and they did find and cook up mice to survive for a meal. her father and brother died from starvation she escaped (I think 3 times only to be caught and returned to N Korea) and the 3rd time she ended up here somehow. I cant imagine such a world.
Old October 23, 2017   #270
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Imp. all joking aside... I just read a story of a N Korean escapee who came from a world of starvation and they did find and cook up mice to survive for a meal. her father and brother died from starvation she escaped (I think 3 times only to be caught and returned to N Korea) and the 3rd time she ended up here somehow. I cant imagine such a world.
With the terrible starvation in WW2, people ate many things not usually considered food, including rats and mice. Some that are so poor now, eat things we don't consider food for the table here.