Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 22, 2013   #61
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Worth.....my neighbor lady solved the problem so she doesn't need ear tags on her kids.
She named all the girls "Josephine" and the boys "Joseph" and just calls "Joe" when she
needs them. If she needs any of them specifically, she calls them by their last names.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #62
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Gaffers tape is expensive because the tape glue will not come off like duck tape and is cloth, Google it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
I see that it sell ever where now, I do not use it ever day only duck tape

Last edited by FILMNET; March 22, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #63
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Actually, my question is where do you get gaffer's tape? Thanks.
I get mine on Amazon, it's sold by camera/photography stores.
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #64
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I also sometimes staple this tape the wood stick in the plants, rain will not writing on this tape.
Old March 22, 2013   #65
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I take colored duct tape and tape it to the panels that I use for supports. I write the name the tomatoes on the tape with a sharpie.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #66
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

I do what Worth does but just a little cheaper by letting trains run over pennies and using the metal stamps to punch the names onto the flattened pennies.Then drill a small hole in it and use a short piece of copper wire as a twist tie.
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #67
henry
Tomatovillian™

We have used [White Tyvek® Tags] from Uline and a UV resistant pen for marking builbil beds in the garlic patch. In bulk they work out to a little over 4 cents a tag. We staple the tag to the top of wooden stakes. These tags have overwintered in the garlic patch and then lasted until August with no problems.
Old March 23, 2013   #68
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here is what I did this week when I ran out. Old water jug/milk jug and a sharpie

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364051657.619372.jpg
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #69
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I cut up my milk jugs as well for seeding flat markers. I cut into triangle shapes, so I can write horizontally for most. I like that they don't stick up very far above the edges of the flat, so less chance of knocking them out for a clutz like me. And they aren't jostled by a dome cover, as long as I need to use one.

Couldn't find any better picture quickly - for the curious, the number is how many seeds were sown of that variety. Quick check on germination without going to a list.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #70
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I screwed around with almost everything mentioned on this thread over the years. Finally I ordered a case of 1000, 5/8 by 5 inches, yellow and one time white.

When you want a marker you want it now. I mark using a black sharpie and it stays for the year. Sometime I reuse the markers by wiping the marking with acetone, available from a pharmacy.

The marker is placed near the stake marking the plant. If required higher up, I punch a hole in the marker and hang using a wire pipe cleaner for convenience.

No more screwing around looking for a marker when required. A thousand lasts me around three years and possibly more with care.

Here is where I ordered them http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZZBIJ

Work Smart.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #71
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
I screwed around with almost everything mentioned on this thread over the years. Finally I ordered a case of 1000, 5/8 by 5 inches, yellow and one time white.

When you want a marker you want it now. I mark using a black sharpie and it stays for the year. Sometime I reuse the markers by wiping the marking with acetone, available from a pharmacy.

The marker is placed near the stake marking the plant. If required higher up, I punch a hole in the marker and hang using a wire pipe cleaner for convenience.

No more screwing around looking for a marker when required. A thousand lasts me around three years and possibly more with care.

Here is where I ordered them http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZZBIJ

Work Smart.
Is that your company?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #72
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Is that your company?
No relation to me. Just a supplier I found on the internet. The short URL script is my own though.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #73
NewDiggings
Tomatovillian™

Default Quick Change Post Labeling+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
"partial"

What I'd like to do is find a way to easily affix the labels to the top of the stake, so I can read it without bending over. It's metal t-posts at the ends of the row, and wood stakes in between the plants.

Any ideas?
================================================

Noticed no one actually answered your question. I suppose you found some solution but if so was never documented. And since others may be interested, here's my answer plus some additional info on labeling.

1. Your request did not specify what size labels you were using, but this method will work for 1/8 to about1.25" wide labels. Here's how: Using galvanized wire of about 1/16" diameter (maybe 14 wire gauge or slightly smaller), wrap three (minimum) or 4 turns around the top of the T-steel posts or wooden posts and tie off. If using steel posts, the wire should be fairly taut, but a little less for wood. The wraps should be spaced about 3/8" apart. Then "weave" your label into the wire wraps. If you made the wraps a little too tight, use a thin bladed screwdriver to pry them apart just enough to slide the label into place but not so loose that wind vibrations will loosen them. If your wraps are a little too loose, use a pair of pliers and twist the individual wraps slightly to tighten them. After doing a couple you should be able to guage the tightness of the wraps better. If you use a sledge hammer or "pipe" type post driver for driving the posts/stakes, you should be able to leave these wraps in place for the following years use and insert/remove labels as needed. You could use black zip ties in a similar fashion (partial suggestion earlier) but by using them as weaving wraps, would allow use in succeeding years and/or for different plants.

2. There has been several discussions about labeling material scattered thoughout the forums. House siding material has been mentioned and I would like to point out some of it's finer features. ------ It is the most practical and cheapest labeling material I have found. Scraps can often be easily procured from any house siding project or you can buy an 8-10 foot section which will provide enough material for a whole bunch of labels. Since it comes in a variety of colors, you may be able to find a color that blends into your surroundings rather than the glaring white stuff normally used. And you can cut them to any size you want; tiny and inconspicuous or big enough to read from a long ways off. You can also cut them to any shape you want; strips to attach using wire as noted above, flat strips for inserting into the ground or pots, round pieces with small holes drilled in them for attaching with screws or wire loops. A heavy duty pair of scissors works best for cutting the siding or even a pair of "tin snips". And if you are really into production, use an electric saw with a very fine toothed blade. .

3. Black Sharpie markers for writing on them seem to last the longest whereas the colored sharpies tend to fade in the sunlight. Ordinary magic markers will probably fade in bright sunlight. And for more permanancy, try putting all your labels on the north or east side of the posts to minimize fading

4. I have used pieces of milk carton but they won't last long in the sunlight, are flimsy for large labels and takes bit more work if you need a lot of them.

5. For permanent markers for perennials, the earlier suggestions for using metal tags will be better than these plastic labels, though!

6. I still use a map to backup my on-site labeling and keep it on my computer so that I can refer to it in the following years as needed. Especially for rotation planting needs.

Cheers

Joe
NewDiggings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #74
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

gaffers tape, white tape if you can find it, for the metal stick permanent pen. This ink and tape like never come off easy. For wood stick, use at staple with this tape, the the wood.
Old April 10, 2013   #75
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I cut up my milk jugs as well for seeding flat markers. I cut into triangle shapes, so I can write horizontally for most. I like that they don't stick up very far above the edges of the flat, so less chance of knocking them out for a clutz like me. And they aren't jostled by a dome cover, as long as I need to use one.

Couldn't find any better picture quickly - for the curious, the number is how many seeds were sown of that variety. Quick check on germination without going to a list.

those peppers look, ohhhhhhh so healthy. I'm about to pot up mine today. Need to cut more milk jugs
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote