Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 21, 2017   #1006
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Almost 6 PM and it is 100 degrees 33% humidity.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #1007
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Temp here is 94 with a dew point of 78 which yields a heat index of 110.
As I have written above, my brother lived in Indiana for a couple of years. He made Indiana sound like a winter wonderland and summers where the sun was not so intense compared to Texas.
Maybe he had a girlfriend on the side up there

94 with a dew point of 78 is horrible no matter where you're at.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #1008
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I've been moving from a big storage unit to smaller one. Took yesterday off. I got out there about 4:15pm when the temp was still over 100. Not sure how long I was able to stay (2 hrs?), but I eventually had to "go home!" Feel completely rung out. With luck I can finish up tomorrow, except for hauling boxen to the Goodwill. Why do I have so ^%&) much stuff??

I know -- because I can't throw away a book.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1009
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

In Texas, there is a warning signal that 5 generations of my family still use to this day. If one of us says, "It's too F-ing hot" - it means get them some cool (NOT ice cold) water, a fan, AC or watercooler if possible, or a shade tree, a cool wet towel, fan them yourself.

People nowadays don't know what a watercooler is. Now it's called an evaporative cooler. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...WC50/100185332
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1010
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

We had a watercooler in the 70"s out in California. We used it during the heat waves we would get so it wasn't o too often. I remember the smell of the water coming from that thing. I swear I think it was full of mold and mildew.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1011
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's 2:24 am and 82 degrees with 77% humidity out there right now. I am not looking forward to this extremely high heat. Friends are coming in today and want to go out to dinner. I would prefer to bring out some soup from the freezer and have salad with it so we can stay home, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 22, 2017   #1012
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
In Texas, there is a warning signal that 5 generations of my family still use to this day. If one of us says, "It's too F-ing hot" - it means get them some cool (NOT ice cold) water, a fan, AC or watercooler if possible, or a shade tree, a cool wet towel, fan them yourself.

People nowadays don't know what a watercooler is. Now it's called an evaporative cooler. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...WC50/100185332
I used to own a business that supplied parts and whole units; but in arkansas it was mainly for kitchens, laundry mats, bird avaries and greenhouses - they even had one that had heat elements. However, generally don't want to add more humidity here. The invent of the internet ran me out of business, but it was a 3rd job anyways in my younger days.

I have a portable (plug in) unit that i sometimes use if spring gets too hot in the GH. Might dump some ice water in the bucket and fire her up today. 78 and 98rh right now, waiting for Mr. Sun to poke to water a few things - temp promotes snake activity and wearing nothing but sandals and underwear is not a good combo.

stay cool.

water cooler + drum fan on high + misting oscillating fan + ice cold beer + deep shade + cool tunes

wish i had a pool, but with the bugs and critters out here being a pool boy would be a nightmare. might have to drive in town to hit a nice watering hole this afternoon.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; July 22, 2017 at 07:04 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1013
matereater
Tomatovillian™

"All day I kept pinching my skin to make sure I wasn't dehydrated".

Worth, how does that work, never heard of it before ???

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1014
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post

Not Worth, but you take a side to side pinch of your skin ( take a good amount) and as you pinch up the skin, you'll see what is called "tenting", the wrinkle up part; let go and observe your hand- if the skin stays tented up at all, you are dehydrated. Bodies that are plump with fluids will smooth out almost immediately after you let go of the pinched area.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1015
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post

Pinch the skin on the top of your hand by your thumb and forefinger with your fingers not your nails.
If it stays up and doesn't spring back down smooth real fast you are dehydrated.

In this heat a heat stroke is just around the corner if you are dehydrated.
Old July 22, 2017   #1016
matereater
Tomatovillian™

very interesting, thanks Imp & Worth !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1017
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can tell you all right now unless you have some sort of medical condition saying other wise.
I is time to toss the low and no salt diet out the window if you have to work in the heat like I do sometimes.

The young man working with me is NOT happy at all about this job.
I am running around like a wild man and he cant seem to pick up any pace at all.
Grew up framing and roofing houses and hauling hay all summer long.
I also put my irrigation system in with a pick and shovel in 100 degree heat.

I honestly think he doesn't like working with me because I work too hard and fast.
There are daily goals to meet if I can meet those goals and be ahead of schedule then all is well.
My boss does the same thing on other jobs.
You cannot whine to him and say he is sitting in the office in the cool, he isn't.

Worth
Old July 22, 2017   #1018
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Just did the hand pinch and all is well for me. I drink water all day long and this case, I've been up most of the night so I've been drinking water.

It's 81 degrees and 81% humidity with a heat indice of 105-109 again today. Hubby will be at the race track around 3:00 pm and I am always concerned about him when he's out there. Most of that time he spends is at night but those first few hours are brutal with the sun beating down.

Just came in from watering, need to go to the grocery before our friends arrive and picking that first watermelon today. I think it's ready. Yeah!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 22, 2017   #1019
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I need to make a more concerted effort to drink more water. I just failed the pinch test. I don't enjoy drinking water, but I do kind of like Life water that has a little flavoring added. I guess that would work?
I gave up soft drinks about 15 years ago and pretty much drink iced tea and enjoy my morning coffee. But now is time to water and mow before the heat assault.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #1020
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I need to make a more concerted effort to drink more water. I just failed the pinch test. I don't enjoy drinking water, but I do kind of like Life water that has a little flavoring added. I guess that would work?
I gave up soft drinks about 15 years ago and pretty much drink iced tea and enjoy my morning coffee. But now is time to water and mow before the heat assault.
You can flavor your water, but watch the caffeine in hot situations as it causes you to dehydrate more.

Also, for those doing a lot of sweating, a gatorade type drink that has electrolytes is good, just not more than two servings a day at the most.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote