Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 24, 2012   #31
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

I think my poor quality plants from Dixondale may be a shipping issue. They were 9 days old by the time they got to my mailbox. I have always heard great things about the quality of Dixondale's plants, so I am willing to give them another try (next year).

Tom: I believe you are correct and my plants are too close. I always pull some young as knobby onions for cooking on the grill. Great with a little olive oil and salt. Yummy! I will let a portion of the plants finish growing this year so I can see how big Candy will get for me.

Salix: I will try the dense planting method again, I must have done something wrong this year, wish I knew what. That's part of the fun of gardening- the trial and error of learning.
Old May 28, 2012   #32
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Hey TJG I thought of you yesterday morning the wife was hollering at me to get out of bed and look in the field behind the house and there was a momma mose and her calf going acrose the field in to the woods! I plant my onions normaly the end of April and they usualy get snowed on and that seems to push them along. Not too many years back we had a snow in June. IMO to get big onions, plant onions plants that are breed to get big,Plant them as as early as you can , 6"to 8"between plants,Fertilize often,hope you get good rains. Do not bend the tops over until most have fell over on their own. Bending the tops over DOSE NOT make the bulb grow bigger. Thats an old wives tail. It will Stop the bulbs growth. GOOD GARDENING TO YOU ! YOPPER P.S. Tom if you got all the rocks out of that ground in CT. you would just have a hole.
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #33
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopper View Post
P.S. Tom if you got all the rocks out of that ground in CT. you would just have a hole.
ain't that the truth!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote