Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2021   #16
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Wait- I forgot- Speckled Roman is in there too!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2021   #17
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I am also growing a number of pastes and sauce types this year, including some of the round ribbed and pear types. I agree on S. Sosulka that I grew last year as well and will definitely grow again. I also got a nice yellow Russian one in a trade that was tasty and productive for me last year. I'm intrigued by Limbo, which I got in my MMMM pouch, which seems like it may be like Heidi in terms of production.

Here is what I plan to grow:
Striped Roman
Limbo (determinate)
Fuego Verde (GWR plum - might be too juicy for a paste)
Costoluto Genevese (Brokenbar's strain)
San Marzano Redorta
Marzano Fire
Schokolodnaya Sosulka
Pertsevidnyi Zheltyi (yellow determinate)
Coeur de Boeuf
Inzhir Roxovyi (ribbed russian pear)

I've grown Opalka several times and really like it, but the BER for me takes at least 50% of the tomatoes so it is hard to make room for it this time.

I have plenty of seed for the yellow paste if you'd like to try it. I also have some Lady Finger seeds, which I think is a Russian paste, if you have any interest in adding that to your trials.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2021   #18
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

That's really nice of you!
I researched Lady Fingers because I don't know it...all I found was one from Rutgers that is sm. red, late and sweet. Is it the same?

And dang- I have Pertsevidnyi Zheltyi and forgot all about that one. It would be good in my short season. Please please grow it so we can compare notes. I can't add more. I need to eliminate darn it!
Old February 6, 2021   #19
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I also noticed Pomodoro Cuore di AnticoAcqui Terme on your list. My neice bought some seeds last year and shared a few with me, but neither of us has tried them yet. Do you know anything more about it than what is written on the Secret Seed Cartel site?
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2021   #20
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I don't. I got it from a swap and all it says is HUGE Italian Paste. That was good enough for me LOL.
Doesn't the pic on secret seed cartel look phenomenal?!
Old February 6, 2021   #21
michigan
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown any pastes before, but I'll be trying out the Santa Maria this year.

Remy's comments on it: "I’m very lucky to introduce this heirloom originally from Italy. A tomato growing friend of mine from Niagara county has been bragging about these huge red pastes from an old Italian immigrant friend of his father in law’s for a few years now. Well he finally showed up with them, and they are big! I grew them this year(2013) and though not as large as my friend’s, they were big and tasty. I was so impressed with the output of the plants. I have grown it every year since. It is a new favorite for me. I like it so much better than Romeo. I have received excellent feed back from many customers who have grown it. It is nice to know people agree with me on this.
I went to the the 2017 Tomato Fest in Highland, MI held by Michigan Heirlooms and Santa Maria was voted the favorite of the attendees!"

And here's a pic she posted, and some comments from this thread, where she first introduced it to TV:

Last edited by michigan; February 6, 2021 at 05:40 PM.
michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2021   #22
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Had not heard of Santa Maria! Thanks for chiming in!
Old February 7, 2021   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Heidi. Like my hearts comment, I have my reasons.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021   #24
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd bring this one out again. How is the shelf life on Heidi? Any pastes that are better in terms of keeping ability? (I'm looking for a not-so-big plant, so Heidi fits the bill that way, also.)
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021   #25
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered Sheboygan (interesting flavor, productive) and Andine Cornue? Andine Cornue is a bit susceptible to blossom end rot, though.

I am trying Martino's Roma this year.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021   #26
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Thought I'd bring this one out again. How is the shelf life on Heidi? Any pastes that are better in terms of keeping ability? (I'm looking for a not-so-big plant, so Heidi fits the bill that way, also.)

Heidi keeps very well once ripe. I had no problems holding them until I had enough to can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote