Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2013   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Black krim paleness - lack of sunshine or nutrients?

I've been very impressed with the plants grown from Black Krim seeds. Vigorous growth and lots of fruit getting ripe - already have enjoyed several.

But one of the plants I started from seed has fruits that are so pale green they have no dark shoulders and nothing that looks like Black krim. Could it be the cramped growing conditions - the container is very small? The fruits are very large and look like beefsteaks, ribbed and all ... not a hint of anything 'black' just light pale green.
I wonder if this is a result of a stray seed or just too little sunshine or some nutrient? Can a fruit lose its distinctive features because of too little of something?

I trust the vendor, a small farm in the U.S. and all the other plants look like they should, it is just this one that looks nothing like BK... Not complaining, I am really curious as to how they will taste

Last edited by NarnianGarden; September 1, 2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typo editing
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sorry no pics, no way to get them. The feeling is they are finally beginning to ripen and are slowly showing some yellow on the sides. But not black shoulders or anything even remotely dark.
This is a plant growing on my mother's veranda, I know she has been feeding the tomato plants regularly with all sorts of 'cocktails', so I don't really believe in nutritional deficiency being the reason behind this...

If it is just a yellow or GWR beefsteak, I'll gladly have it!
Old August 31, 2013   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'd have to say if it's got fur and barks it likely isn't a duck. Sounds like a stray seed to me. I'm surprised that it doesn't happen more than it does.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It is clear now this plant is not a BK. It is blushing on one side and looks like it is going to be a usual 'tomato red' color. Large ribbed fruits that look different in shape than my Black Krims.
Could be any large beefsteak variety, but I am hoping it would be Costoluto Fiorentino or another tasty Italian heirloom...

Most likely, it was a stray seed, or an unintentional cross that the farmers were not aware of...
Old September 9, 2013   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Altho you now believe it's not a black at all, odd colors on blacks aren't unknown.

The first year I grew several new-to-me blacks it was unusually cool for our area. Everything was slow to ripen. None of the blacks looked very "black" at all. In fact many of them were an unappetizing puky yellow-brown. But the flavor was decent even tho the color wasn't. And plants grown from the seeds taken from those fruit were normal color the next year when we had a hotter summer.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2013   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I might agree with you, but my other plants are 'true' BK. Green shoulders and lovely colors of mahognany and purple... This one oddball is just a 'usual' red.
Whatever it is, I hope the taste will be as good as its size!
Old October 7, 2013   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

A follow-up. This definitely turned out to be a red beefsteak. Tasty, for sure. I e-mailed the seller I bought the seeds from and she was sorry - no need, as the results were more than edible
I'm learning here that surprises are a normal part of tomato growing experience. (for ex. the Black from Tula turned yellow...) Looking forward to next year and what surprises may occur then