Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old July 7, 2006   #76
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I put 'Nanette' too. So sorry, Nanelle. Yes, name tags are imperative.
Old July 9, 2006   #77
landarc
Tomatovillian™

check is in the mail.

Bob
Old July 10, 2006   #78
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

It doesn't help to discover this forum so late. I was missing Bruce's pictures at the other forum and wondering what was happening.

Anyhow, I'm so happy to see that this event is happening again. I really don't know if I can make it this time--we're going to be in Hawaii until the week before and I'm not sure if my DH will be up to a 2.5 hr drive (depending on how we all recover from the trip). If I do make it, I have lots of varieties that I could bring to share (provided they all ripen in time). I'm already battling some disease with my Kellogg's Breakfast and it's spreading fast to the ARGG cherry next to it. I'm going to be killing that plant ASAP in hopes of saving the rest. Sigh....

I'll let you know a little later if I make it. If I do, I'll bring along a dish (haven't decided yet). I'll also list my varieties once I know for sure.

Cheers, Annie
Old July 10, 2006   #79
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Great to see you made over to T Ville Annie. Hope you can attend the NORCATT and Morningsun tastings that weekend. Heck, you’ll already be used to hotel rooms by then, just take one in beautiful downtown Vacaville!

I’ve already pulled 4 plants and 2 more are looking ‘iffy’. Maybe if these 100° + days every 2 weeks stop I’ll also have lots to bring.

Hope to see you there!

Bruce
Old July 23, 2006   #80
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

SIZZLE SIZZLE FRY FRY goes the west coast tomatoes.
The planet is cookin and so are the tomatoes.
116 today. OUCH.
Glad its supposed to cool a couple degrees tommorow.
Old July 23, 2006   #81
angelique
Tomatovillian™

I am on vacation...My grandpa is "watching" my tomatoes. I really have a bad feeling about them. When I asked them how they are doing, he said, "Not too good". Hopefully, not all plants are dead when I return home late next week.
Old July 29, 2006   #82
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Diana, did you end up with enough contributions to cover the park? I'd say there's only a 5-10% chance I'll make it (out of town the previous two weekends and then my parents should be rolling in to visit right around this time.) I'd be happy to chip in for a good cause nonetheless. PM me with your e-mail and I'm happy to send $10-15 via Paypal.
Old August 7, 2006   #83
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hi folks,

We're planning on attending, but need to know what time the Saturday (8/26) tasting will start. Looking forward to seeing those of you I've already met (Brad, it'll be fantastic if you can attend) and meeting those I haven't.

Also, to whom do I send the list of varieties I'll be bringing. I'll almost certainly bring some Quedlinburger Fruehe Liebe, but will bring others that are ripe then, too.

BetsyLT
Old August 7, 2006   #84
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by I
If everyone agrees I can print up scoring sheets for what people bring so everyone’s will be identical. Something similar to Morningsun’s, maybe with the grower/(seed source) on the back? I’d just need everyone to e-mail me a week or two beforehand a list of anything they might be bringing. If something happens and a variety doesn’t make it, we’ll just toss that sheet.

Input anyone? We should decide earlier rather than scrambling later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT
Also, to whom do I send the list of varieties I'll be bringing.
I have that feeling what I proposed above won't work . I think what I’ll do is print the sheets with a block at the top where we can use a magic marker to label the variety and a place on the back for submitter & seed source. Invariably some last minute entries will show up and all will know where they came from.
:wink: I’ll make the box extra long for varieties like Quedlinburger Fruehe Liebe :wink: . Can’t wait to try that one!

Bruce
Old August 8, 2006   #85
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hey there, Bruce & all!

I suspect everyone else knows when the tasting will start, but I'm still clueless.

(Well, okay, I know we aren't *really* planning on it starting at 1 AM, and found it pretty funky that the park offered it as a reservation time.)

If somebody could clue me in on when we plan to meet up in Davis, then I'll quiet down and go back to tending my tomatoes. Thanks in advance!

Clueless in Sunnyvale,
BetsyLT
Old August 8, 2006   #86
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Hey guys,

This is just a couple of weeks away. Are we going to just *wing* it *hippie style* (as in, cool, man, we'll just show up whenever and bring whatever-maybe end up with all mayo and no bread) or are we going to get organized?

We need:

***A meeting time - keeping in mind that it takes a long time to cut up and organize all the tomatoes

***What foods are we going to bring
---Is Bob going to BBQ again?
---Everyone bring our own plates, napkins, drinks?
---Tablecloths?
---Other stuff?

***A list of tomatoes that are coming would be nice

***A list of people coming

I'll post something in Discussions to catch the eye of new members.

I still haven't bought tickets yet. My sis, Pam, is moving out of her house and into a condo on the 17th. (a sudden decision on her part) I need to call her and find out how crazy things are with her.
Old August 8, 2006   #87
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb
A meeting time - keeping in mind that it takes a long time to cut up and organize all the tomatoes
Hi Barb,

I liked your earlier suggestion of 10:00 - 3:00. Works for me anyway if that gives you enough time for cooking. I can bring scoresheets and the plates for the tomato samples. I'll also decide on what to make and bring a dish to share.

Bruce
Old August 8, 2006   #88
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Since I live in town, I can bring baguettes from our local Nugget, that are very good!

Diana aka vermitt
Old August 18, 2006   #89
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana
Since I live in town, I can bring baguettes from our local Nugget, that are very good!
Sounds great!

Well, it’s been a very tough year for tomatoes as I’m sure everyone is aware . A quick walk-thru today and I think I’ll have these ready next week that won’t be either over-ripe or still too green for the tasting.

Andrew Rahart’s Jumbo Red
Black From Tula
Brad's Black Heart
Brandy Boy
Cabernet (2 Locations)
Carbon
Cougar Red
Daniels
Ernesto (Probably a cross)
Goose Creek
Grandfather Ashlock
Green Giant PL and RL
Indische-Fleisch
Jasper
Kimberly
Kosovo
Mariannas Peace
Nyagous
Odoriko
Simpson's Summer Palace
Sleezy 'B' (Carbon X DCI) F1
Soldacki
Sungold

I’ll also have the following if anyone wants to sample them or collect some seeds. This seemed to be a better year for chilies than tomatoes.

Aji Colorado
Ancho
Cascabel
Chilhuacle Amarillo
Chilhuacle Negro
Chilhuacle Rojo
Chili D' arbo
Cili Merah
Giant Marconi Hybrid
Guajillo
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Limon
Pasilla Bajio
Pasilla De Oaxaca
Scotch Bonnet
Serrano
Sweet Banana

I’m going to make an attempt at the Sungold sorbet that’s here in the recipe section and if that works out well, a jalapeno / pineapple sorbet too.

Bruce
Old August 18, 2006   #90
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Wow Bruce...Given the super cold and hot weather this year, that's a nice list.

I will be lucky if I am able to bring:

Black Cherry
Una's Yellow
Snow White
Aunt Ruby's Green Grape
Sugar Lump

In May, my most of my plants were loaded with flowers. Most dropped of with the NorCal heat wave. It is really ironic, that my Berkely Tie Dye, Anna's Russian, Lucky Cross and Carbon are just barely starting to show flowers.

I have also had better luck with other veggies than tomatoes. I should have:

Cucumber
Lemon
Armenian
Miniture White (I love this cuke)
Greek (possibly)

Peppers
Fish
Sweet Cayenne (I love this pepper)
Mesilla (I love this pepper)

I will also have a Pepino Dulce v. Vista availablle in a 2.5 gallon container if someone is interested in trying to grow it out as a perennial (???). Pepino Dulce is a distance cousin of the tomato. Just pm me if you want the plant.

We should probably start planning out the menu...I am totally open. I can bring a dessert, drinks, supplies, condiment....Or whatever.