Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2012   #46
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PLANT CITY
Posts: 255
Default

St Pete will be great in March if that works out only one and a half hours away!!!
Been seeding tons of tomato's and telling everyone we know about this event.

I noticed in our last storm(DEBBY) all my beefsteaks were huge and getting ripe but then rotted from the inside out just as they were getting ripe.
all my current varieties and cherries stayed firm,got ripe,and had wonderful flavor.
Rose-was beautiful 1# and a little more tomato's,turned pinkish and then just as getting fully ripe ,every one of them after all that rain rotten in the inside,outsides very firm but as soon as you cut into them,rotten!!!BUMMER!
To be fair to my tomato's we got 17.4 inches of rain in 5 days from that storm here.
But for sure,in the heat,cherries ,plums and current types do the best here in plant city area for us.
This fall/winter season I will once again try my beefsteak and giant varities.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #47
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
St Pete will be great in March if that works out only one and a half hours away!!!
Been seeding tons of tomato's and telling everyone we know about this event.

I noticed in our last storm(DEBBY) all my beefsteaks were huge and getting ripe but then rotted from the inside out just as they were getting ripe.
all my current varieties and cherries stayed firm,got ripe,and had wonderful flavor.
Rose-was beautiful 1# and a little more tomato's,turned pinkish and then just as getting fully ripe ,every one of them after all that rain rotten in the inside,outsides very firm but as soon as you cut into them,rotten!!!BUMMER!
To be fair to my tomato's we got 17.4 inches of rain in 5 days from that storm here.
But for sure,in the heat,cherries ,plums and current types do the best here in plant city area for us.
This fall/winter season I will once again try my beefsteak and giant varities.
Hi Gardenhappy,
I had a hard time with rotting Brandywines too, and like you, my small fruited varieties did much better.
Do you have a special interest in any of the cherries I listed to grow? I am trying to encourage people to tell me if they want some specific varieties.
Very excited that your group is coming.


Some varieties of yours that I would like to try:
Sunset Red Horizon,
Orange Strawberry,
Red Target,
Pruden's Purple,
Gill's all Purpose,
Amish Paste,
Tag-a-log
Myth intrigues me for it's name, which I think it lives up to because I can't find any info on it when googled!!!
Can't find any on Tag-a-log either.
Please all people coming, let me know what you would like.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #48
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™
 
meadowyck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brooksville, FL
Posts: 1,004
Default

gardenhappy so when are you starting your winter sowing?
__________________
Jan

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #49
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PLANT CITY
Posts: 255
Default

Ginger,
the tag-a-log came from a trade i did with a man from the Philippines,he said they are a market standard there.Meduim size slicer,very sweet,firm,great to eat fresh and on hamburgs.

Myth came from a trade and i have no information at all on this one.

I also have seeded PLUMMY-a plum variety from Jamacia I bought from a feed mill there(Jamacian police gave us excort from the cruise area just to get some seeds!)


i would love to try from you:
barnes mountain yellow
black master
black mountain pink
cherokee green
hartmans yellow gooseberry
purple dog creek
sweetie cherry
yellow pear
pink ping pong
any other cherry variety you want to throw in!

I just started my tomato's for the fall/winter season last week but for some last minute seeds I grew out right after Debby left to try to get a jump start on replacing all the tomato plants that storm smashed with the rain and high winds.Those are about 1 1/2 foot at this point.
I may bring some plants in 1 gallon containers to the trade.

I'm still wanting blue tomato seeds for our childrens gardens at the community garden if anyone has some.


My beefsteakes were full of beautiful huge tomato's and my Rose was loaded with several very large 1# plus tomato's.After the storm it got so hot and muggy that did most of the rest in.
I cut back anything left with green and fertilized with our homemade fish emulsion.They all seem to be comming back really well that still were green.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #50
BarbE
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Petersburg,Fl
Posts: 3
Default

Would love to attend but Homestead is a little to far for me. Keep me posted on what is happening and any growing tips for our strange and unpredictable weather.

I am new but have a great desire to grow the best tomatoes possible.

I would like to win the war against pest organically. HELP!!
BarbE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #51
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,110
Default

BarbE,the swap is at ginger2778's home in Plantation Fl.If you click on the arrow next to her name you can get a personel message(PM) to her and get particulars.I know some people from up north are coming down this way also,so maybe there could be a hook up link there.Plantation is a lot closer to you than Homestead.I myself do biological controls.ladybugs,minute pirate bugs ,predator mites etc.If you go to the forums index there is a section for diseases pests etc.Or just go to search block and enter a search for a subject and you will get a gazillion threads and posts.Do what I did when I first got on and click on everything you can,you will be amazed at all the info here and tools that are here for you.Have fun.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #52
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbE View Post
Would love to attend but Homestead is a little to far for me. Keep me posted on what is happening and any growing tips for our strange and unpredictable weather.

I am new but have a great desire to grow the best tomatoes possible.

I would like to win the war against pest organically. HELP!!
Hi Barb
The plant swap is in plantation, which is about 1.5 hours further north than Homestead.
We will be having several people from Plant City coming, if you would like to attend, maybe you can arrange some sort of carpool, transportation cost deal with them.
Hope this helps,
Marsha
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #53
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PLANT CITY
Posts: 255
Default

Some of my group do not have tomato plants to trade so I'm growing out these for them to trade:
GERMAN LUNCHBOX
JOIE DE LA TABLE
RHOADES HEIRLOOM
BIG RED
JELLY BEAN RED AND YELLOW
PEACEVINE CHERRY
ORANGE KING
ATOL-POLAND
SUPER SIOUX
MOSKOVICH
FARGO
MARIANNA'S PEACE
CERISE ORANGE
CARBON
LERICA ORANGE
RAYON DE SOLIEL-ORANGE
DRUZBA

Just give me a p.m. and I'll bring the plants.These i will plant the last part of august.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012   #54
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PLANT CITY
Posts: 255
Default

BarbE,
We grow everything organic here in plant city.We spray with a homemade spray:
2 cut up cloves of garlic in an enamel pot(or none metal),1 hot pepper,in 1 gallon of water.bring to a boil and then shut of and cool down.Strain and add 1 tablespoon cooking oil,1 tablespoon dish liquid.mix well,pour into a spray bottle and it kills just about anything bad!Also if growing in the ground for your new fall garden season spray your ground with raw unpatureized milk.5 to 1 mix with water,the natural sugar in this milk cannot be digested by grass hoppers etc... and they die.In our area they are hatching everywhere right now.Then in 1 week spray your ground with molasses water,1 cup to 5 gallons of water.This gets all the soil organiziums growing and active.Now rake out and plant!
Companion planting is a must i think,tomato's companions are garlic,onions,basil,marigolds(signet),parsley,and chives.We inter plant these in our in the ground and containers at times.
For container plants outside use the spray ,inside use safers soap. Hand picking is another option and i do it also but I'm from farm country and am not squimish.
Homemade fish emulsion is really easy to make and seaweed emulsion.I taught my community garden classes how to do it and we hand it out by the bottle for free to class members and the community.It works so well we get request for it!
your library should have or can order in books on organic gardening in our climate.I order in books from all over that way.Good luck!
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #55
Garf
Tomatovillian™
 
Garf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, FL.
Posts: 442
Default

Is anyone interested in Everglades? It seems they come in red and orange.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #56
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
BarbE,
We grow everything organic here in plant city.We spray with a homemade spray:
2 cut up cloves of garlic in an enamel pot(or none metal),1 hot pepper,in 1 gallon of water.bring to a boil and then shut of and cool down.Strain and add 1 tablespoon cooking oil,1 tablespoon dish liquid.mix well,pour into a spray bottle and it kills just about anything bad!Also if growing in the ground for your new fall garden season spray your ground with raw unpatureized milk.5 to 1 mix with water,the natural sugar in this milk cannot be digested by grass hoppers etc... and they die.In our area they are hatching everywhere right now.Then in 1 week spray your ground with molasses water,1 cup to 5 gallons of water.This gets all the soil organiziums growing and active.Now rake out and plant!
Companion planting is a must i think,tomato's companions are garlic,onions,basil,marigolds(signet),parsley,and chives.We inter plant these in our in the ground and containers at times.
For container plants outside use the spray ,inside use safers soap. Hand picking is another option and i do it also but I'm from farm country and am not squimish.
Homemade fish emulsion is really easy to make and seaweed emulsion.I taught my community garden classes how to do it and we hand it out by the bottle for free to class members and the community.It works so well we get request for it!
your library should have or can order in books on organic gardening in our climate.I order in books from all over that way.Good luck!
Cheryl,
From this description, I have a feeling you will be a remarkable person to talk to and I can't wait to meet you. You have such a wealth of knowledge.
-Marsha
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #57
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,110
Default

Garf ,about a week ago there was a lot of discussion about the EV cherrys/currant.Do a search and you can find it.I myself have seen and grown the red only.Are you getting ready for the Fla Tag swap?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #58
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PLANT CITY
Posts: 255
Default

Our group is getting ready and we are getting a few more sign up's at our class tonight. We will have a transplanting party Monday for the ones we will bring in 1 gallon containers.the other seeds we will be planting last week of this month.
We're exited about this new Florida Tag Event and telling everyone!For many in our group this will be the first ever plant trade and later tomato tasting and everyone is really exited to be on board and learn!!! A local school is starting a school gardening program and asked for my help and they may be sending a few teachers with us!!! The more the better.
I'll post the total numbers by this week end after talking with everyone. I think we're around 15 or a few more coming.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #59
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PLANT CITY
Posts: 255
Default

Gaff,
If you have seed for everglades we would love to check them out.
Look at my seeds to trade list for what you want in return. Then P.M. me for adress exchanges.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #60
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 7,550
Default

I am starting my seeds on Sept 9th because I will be on vacation from August 25th to Sept 8th. Mine will be small seedlings though, about 5 weeks old, and will be in Jiffy peat seed starters, expandable type. I have 6 boxes of the 72 starter kits, so I will have several of most all my varieties.Plenty to go around.
Great link for seed starter mapping here:http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3474 See post #7 by Feldon
I like it better than the little stick in labels which can get lost.
-Marsha
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★