Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default Shop Smith Restoration.

Some of you may have seen where I picked up an old Shop Smith from way back when.
More than likely one of the first that was made back in the late 40's or early 50's.
If not here is what it looked like.

Since then it has been disassembled and put in the garage.
It took some doing as it was all rusted up.


The two long tubes are more or less what you call ways, this is what other parts of the lathe slides on.
Today I have one of them polished back up.
You cant turn the stuff off I had to polish it off to maintain the proper diameter of the tubes.
One down and one to go, it is a lot of work in a 95 degree garage, it makes the 80 degree house feel cool.
As times goes on I will continue to post the progress of this old relic here.

Worth.
20160811_174844.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Now the other one on top is cleaned up and polished and it is beer O Clock.
Now more power tools.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

I did a quick search and came up with this information on this critter.
It is a Shop smith 10E.
The 10E stands for experimental a 10ER stands for experimental revised.
They were made from 1947 to 1953 so mine is more than likely from the 40's.
They were invented by Dr. Hans Goldschmidt of Albany, CA, in 1947; made by the Magna America Corporation.
Shopsmith INC did not make these machines.
Shopsmith INC didn't come around until 1972.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combin...#The_Shopsmith
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,110
Default

It good to see and read that a lot of classic American tools/machinists are being brought back from the dead and dressed up and pressed back into service.America is short of skilled machinists and a revival is in the works now to train more of them into our blue collar workforce.My truck brakes for all garage sales,I enjoy cruising Craigslist for all of that classic American craftsmanship,Ebay has some good finds.Thanx Worth for keeping the traditions alive yet alone actually use them!
__________________
KURT
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
It good to see and read that a lot of classic American tools/machinists are being brought back from the dead and dressed up and pressed back into service.America is short of skilled machinists and a revival is in the works now to train more of them into our blue collar workforce.My truck brakes for all garage sales,I enjoy cruising Craigslist for all of that classic American craftsmanship,Ebay has some good finds.Thanx Worth for keeping the traditions alive yet alone actually use them!
Than you Kurt.

I have no idea what I am going to do with the thing, maybe make bowls.
Throughout the years parts have been lost from it.
The only thing I need is the long gone tool rest and I will just have to make or modify one.
They didn't have a shop class where I went to school they spent the money one sports.
We had FFA and welding in that class.
If you couldn't have livestock you couldn't be a member of FFA.
This left a lot of kids out in the cold.
The Ag teacher and I didn't get along well at all in welding class as well as one of my friends.
Your using up all of my gas and rods he would complain.
No it is our gas we pay the taxes order more.
Where some kids would build a small gate the friend and I built big trailers.
Both in the same year he was a grade farther up than me.
As for lathe work I had to teach myself.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #6
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ z5
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Than you Kurt.

I have no idea what I am going to do with the thing, maybe make bowls.
Throughout the years parts have been lost from it.
The only thing I need is the long gone tool rest and I will just have to make or modify one.
They didn't have a shop class where I went to school they spent the money one sports.
We had FFA and welding in that class.
If you couldn't have livestock you couldn't be a member of FFA.
This left a lot of kids out in the cold.
The Ag teacher and I didn't get along well at all in welding class as well as one of my friends.
Your using up all of my gas and rods he would complain.
No it is our gas we pay the taxes order more.
Where some kids would build a small gate the friend and I built big trailers.
Both in the same year he was a grade farther up than me.
As for lathe work I had to teach myself.

Worth
Hi Worth,

Either you were ahead of your time, or you didn't get to go to the right high school.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6Uq4_38m2k

Good to know that there are some schools, and students, doing great things today.
Do you think that they would let us go back to high school? I think it would be more fun now.

Jim

Last edited by Douglas_OW; August 13, 2016 at 09:42 AM.
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_OW View Post
Hi Worth,

Either you were ahead of your time, or you didn't get to go to the right high school.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6Uq4_38m2k

Good to know that there are some schools, and students, doing great things today.
Do you think that they would let us go back to high school? I think it would be more fun now.

Jim
The school I went to sucked, it was as poor a school as you could imagine with a huge Native American population.
The Ag shop class had one vise and it was broken and a few junky Lincoln cracker box AC stick welders.
As far as I am concerned they should have fired the Ag teacher even to this day I feel that way.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Here are the hind legs all cleaned up and primed.
Cant make my mind up on what color I want to paint the thing.
I really dont like the machinery gray.
Any who it is being primed and painted with oil based enamel and a brush.
I dont see the need to spray paint rough castings.
Also turned the hammer marks off the knob.
Worth

20160813_182709.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Decided to go with gloss black when they dry I might go with some gold striping here and there like the old Singer sewing machines.
I have cleaned almost all of the parts primed, panted and they are in different stages of drying.

All oil base enamel.
Worth
20160814_202650.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #10
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,110
Default Found a nice addition for the shed.

I have it bolted to a 2x12 x 4ft chunk of wood as a movable tool for some saw horse bull work.It comes apart for reconfiguration so to get that optimal working angle.

http://www.garrettwade.com/ultimate-versatile-vise.html
__________________
KURT
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I have it bolted to a 2x12 x 4ft chunk of wood as a movable tool for some saw horse bull work.It comes apart for reconfiguration so to get that optimal working angle.

http://www.garrettwade.com/ultimate-versatile-vise.html
I made a steel mounting plate for mine that does the same thing off the end of my steel saw horses

It looks like the vise has reversible jaws.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Making sure the stuff goes back together and wanted to see how it was going to look.

Worth

20160815_132258.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Got the head stock separated from the motor and the head sock parts including bearings are removed so I can clean it up.
Parts everywhere.
20160815_155642.jpg

20160815_155722.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,179
Default

Before and after shots of the quill feed knobs that go on the head stock.
The were a bugger to get off, it took me a good long while so as I didn't beat them up any more.
The shaft they fit on is cleaned up, de-burred and now they go on fine.
As a matter of fact I am using that shaft to hold them in the lathe.
I also got the motor pulley off without hurting it.
Worth
20160815_164432.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #15
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™
 
dmforcier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,669
Default

Good work. You gonna show the finished product to the previous owner?
__________________


Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers


dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★