Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 12, 2006   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default Unripe tomato seeds

Some of my Sungella's are cracking and they have barely any color to them, some still fully green have cracked. What is the difference if I save seed from one of those vs one that is fully ripe? Would that change the quality of the tomatoes for the next crop I plant?
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

CLa, if you have at least some blush to the tomatoes at blossom end, they should be just fine for seed saving (works fine for me).

See also--
http://tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=2506

Specifically, refer to Carolyn's comments on page two of the thread.

Hope that helps.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2006   #3
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Yep many thanks
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A unsupported branch with three tomatoes broke off a plant in the wind today. These tomatoes are unripe and not showing any blush (even the first tomatoes on this plant haven't ripened yet). If I let them ripen inside will the seed be viable? I guess this is a question related to seed development and how they reach maturity. Just thinking the flavor of these won't be the best, but if the seeds mature then they're good for something still.

Thanks!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #5
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Seed being "ripe" or viable is what triggers the color change and ripening of the tomato.
No color change, no viable seed. Sorry!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

What about when the tomato is picked green but eventually ripens? Like ones you pick when fall frost is coming. Those tomatoes end up coloring up and the seeds look normal. So I'm thinking of letting these ripen just like those. Guess I can try and do a germentation test.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #7
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

You can certainly try it. If you get a color change you should have viable seed.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
What about when the tomato is picked green but eventually ripens? Like ones you pick when fall frost is coming. Those tomatoes end up coloring up and the seeds look normal. So I'm thinking of letting these ripen just like those. Guess I can try and do a germentation test.
Yes that works.

Tom Wagner is the only one I know who gets seeds out of totally unripe fruits with no color change, but he uses TSP ( trisodium phosphate) which works for him but I don't suggest TSP for others. In addition, he may be getting those seeds from just one fruit for use in his breeding projects

Some of you may remember my experience with the variety Magnus where I had to pick fruits just with a wee bit of blush since frost was coming, and yes, they ripened up and I got seeds and those seeds were the origin of all Magnus seeds offered now.

The additional problem I see with trying to get seeds out of partially ripe fruits is that you don't get the juice that's needed for fermentation, or whatever.

Carolyn
Old July 16, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I heard a guy on the radio many years ago (Ag extension agent) who said that a tomato was ripe if you could cut it and the seeds wouldn't cut.
What he was referring to is if you wanted to bring tomatoes in to ripen then this was the test.
This was about fall setting in and freezes.
I never thought it was good advice because if you cut the tomato it is a goner anyway.
Not all tomatoes ripen at the same time on the vine as we all know.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2014   #10
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
You can certainly try it. If you get a color change you should have viable seed.

I grow giants for competition. Once the tomato flashes color, no matter how little color that is, the tomato is finished growing. This is when I cut the tomato from the vine due to the tomato being the densest thus the heaviest.

After an official weighing I then allow the tomato to fully ripen in order to save the seeds.

The seeds are then viable for planting the next season.