Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 18, 2007   #1
Elayne
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I Pull This Plant????

Even though I have sprayed daconil every 7-10 days, I have a sick Mortgage Lifter. I have read through the posts on diseases, but have not really identified the problem. The color of the leaves went from dark green a few days ago to a pale yellowish green today---plus there are rusty looking blotches on some of the leaves. Should I try to treat this plant or just get rid of it? Any advice would be appreciated!As you can see, my tomatoes aren't setting fruit, only a few small tomatoes so far. The weather has been really hot here---over 100 degrees almost every day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (164.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0706.jpg (229.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701.jpg (262.9 KB, 55 views)
Old July 19, 2007   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Elayne, is it the whole plant or just the leaves near the bottom. Also when the weather cools a bit you might want to get one of those cheapy battery powered toothbrushes and buzz your blossoms to increase your fruitset. Ami
Old July 19, 2007   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

looks like possible early blight to me. Continue with your Daconil regimen and remove the effected leaves. The plants look fairly healthy otherwise, best I can see

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2007   #4
Elayne
Tomatovillian™

I cut off all the infected foliage---planned to spray daconil, but the wind is blowing hard!!!! I will leave it a few more days and see what happens. At least it is cooler today, but the forecast is for more 100 degree days therough the weekend. Thanks for the help!
Old July 19, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Try to find the one named Ortho Garden Disease Control. It has daconil and it worked on my plants. Which looked so good to start with that I didn't spray them, and regretted it. But I trimmed the bad leaves and sprayed and it worked.

I really knew better but kept putting off spraying.
Old July 21, 2007   #6
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I'm having the hot weather too, and very little fruit set for how many blossoms the plants have. I think its this darn heat. You would think if we put up with 10+ days of single digits in the winter, we wouldn't have to deal with 10+ days of triple digit weather. If we don't get a couple days o cooler weather sometime soon my tomato crop isn't going to be very good. I'll probably get a lot of fruit set the beginning of September and have lots of green fruit and not much ripen before the frost hits.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2007   #7
Elayne
Tomatovillian™

It's 103 today, and the seven day forecast shows 100 plus every day. I will probably have fruit set in September, also, which is almost too late---our first frost is usually in September. Thanks for the input!