Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 11, 2006   #1
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

Default slow germinators ??

I started 48 varities 9 days ago. All are up but for a few. Green Giant, Berkley Tie Dye, Tangerine, Paul Robinson and Cossack Pineapple just don't want to wake up.

Is this your experience as well with these varieties? I know of one other who said BTD was slow to germinate.

Thanks
Tim
Old February 11, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I sowed Cossack Pineapple (saved seed - same that I sent you) a few days ago (first time I've saved seed from a husk tomato, so we will see!) - and will sow Green Giant (same lot I sent you) tomorrow - will let you know what I get.

Until it gets to be 14 days or more, you could be fine - many variables (temp of the area, depth of the seed, etc).
Old February 11, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Germination time also depends on the age of the seed in addition to the other variables mentioned above and if you don't save your own seed you have no idea what the seed age is.

Traded seed you might know if you ask your source. Purchased seed in the US has a packed for date from some commercial places, but that's the pack date, not when the seed was produced.

The only variety that I know of that even with fresh seed takes about two weeks to germinate is Mirabell, a lovely thumb size pale yellow cherry that was originally a commercial variety from Germany many years ago.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #4
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for the quick replies.

Craig, the Cossack Pineapple seed was some I got from Victory Seed. I have not tried the seed you sent yet.

Starting at day six the seed flat was placed under shoplights because many of the others had been up a few days. I am spray watering the cells that didn't germinate to keep them moist.

Is this hindering the ungerminated seed by being under the shoplights.

Thanks again,

Tim
Old February 11, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tim,

I put the seed trays under the lights when the first 1-2 seedlings pop up for if you don't they get leggy.

And I've never seen any problems with germination of the other seeds.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #6
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

The Cossack Pineapple--what's it like? I just sowed some today (also from Victory). I had never heard of ground cherries/husk tomatoes until recently and decided to give them a whirl this season. I also bought seeds for "Molly" and "Goldie". I don't know if there are great differences in varieties of ground cherries as there are in tomatoes or not, but I'm hoping they'll all be tasty.

Christine
tanagerzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Christine,

The best I can say is that the taste of ground cherries is what I call an acquired and personal taste.

That is, some folks love them and some can't stand the taste, and I sit squarely with the I can't stand them group.

They are nothing like tomatoes, are in the genus Physalis, same as Tomatillos and those decorative Chinese Laterns, and well, you'll just have to grow them and taste for yourself.

On an upnote, they are prolific. :wink: