Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 30, 2014   #1
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Default My first Tomato

I was hoping to have a tomato ready for Christmas, but Moravsky Div has really surprised me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5780.JPG (299.0 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5784.JPG (345.9 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5789.jpg (327.7 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg Moravsky Div 3 .JPG (235.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg Moravsky Div 4.JPG (219.3 KB, 348 views)
a sunny day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2014   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2014   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Envious! They look great and it seems the plant is productive. They are on my wish list to try for next year. Enjoy!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2014   #4
tedln

And they taste as good as they look.

Ted
Old November 30, 2014   #5
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Yes they do! Not sure about cooked as it wasn't so great on our pizza last night. But I can't believe how quick it has produced tomatoes.

Last year Siberian tomatoes were my earliest, but not ripe until 31st December and Jaune Flamme was not far behind... still very early for where I live. I was the first one by a mile to sell some at our local sustainability shop. I have planted Siberian and Jaune Flamme at the same time this year as Moravsky Divbut they are no where near ripe.

My other most magnificent looking tomato is Sakharnyi Pudovichok, huge, beautiful looking ribbed tomatoes but because of their size they are not in the running for an early tomato.
Old December 1, 2014   #6
tedln

I grew MD for the first time this year. They tied with Fourth Of July for earliest tomato, but MD had the best "genuine tomato" taste and outstanding production. I seem to remember some discussion about whether it is a determinate or indeterminate variety. It produced an abundant harvest early in the summer and bloomed and produced a second abundant harvest in mid summer. In both productive phases, most of the tomatoes ripened at the same time. By mid summer, my MD plants were large and very healthy looking, but both plants suddenly died at the same time while other varieties near them continued growing and producing. This year, I plan on having some young plants ready to replace them when they die and hopefully get production from them throughout our long growing season. Based on taste and production, they are certainly worth some extra effort.

Ted
Old December 1, 2014   #7
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ted, I don't mind if mine die in summer because I've got at least 80 plants in this year of different varieties. I have four planted, three producing and one so heavy with tomatoes but no sign of a ripe one. I took the bags off that one re seed saving, maybe a mistake but I'm really growing them for their early tomatoes. Pasta last night was really delicious!
Old December 1, 2014   #8
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by a sunny day View Post
Hi Ted, I don't mind if mine die in summer because I've got at least 80 plants in this year of different varieties. I have four planted, three producing and one so heavy with tomatoes but no sign of a ripe one. I took the bags off that one re seed saving, maybe a mistake but I'm really growing them for their early tomatoes. Pasta last night was really delicious!
I don't mind if a few of my sixty plants die in the heat either because it creates a few empty spaces to try some different varieties in the heat of summer. I used to germinate the late season varieties, but now I just purchase them because my farm and ranch supply store always has a lot of varieties I haven't tried.

Next spring, I plan on only planting sixty plants of the fifteen best I grown over the years. That will include Moravsky Div. I will try some different varieties in mid summer to first frost.

Ted
Old December 3, 2014   #9
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Awesome!!

Keep the pictures coming. What else do you have planted that are either solid repeats or something new you are excited about?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2014   #10
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ginny, I have lots of tomatoes growing that I'm excited about. I have 11 varieties from the Dwarf Tomato Project.

And also I'm excited about Red Pear (Gransasso Strain), Santa Maria, Wes, Kosovo, Russian 117, Malakhitovaya Shkatulka, Grub's Mystery Green, Piennolo del Vesuvio, Brad's Black Heart, Morado, Black Krim, Golden Queen, Orange Minsk and Golden Cherokee.

And from last year, Orange Strawberry, Opalka and a big pink oxheart.
Old December 5, 2014   #11
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. Love the dwarfs! And it seems like you have a lot of heart varieties. What do you like about them? I havent grown one yet.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2014   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Very nice. Love the dwarfs! And it seems like you have a lot of heart varieties. What do you like about them? I havent grown one yet.

Ginny
Less seeds great taste.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2014   #13
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Yes, less seeds great taste, and I love how heavy and dense they are, and the look of them. I think it's a bit of a European thing. My parents are from Holland and they are my mum's favourite tomato, and I have a Croatian friend in her late 60's and she and her husband also love them. And the old fella who gave me the seed of the pink oxheart that I'm actually talking about is from Malta. When he showed me the tomato that the seed later came from, he held it up and said, "Why would you grow anything else".
Old December 22, 2014   #14
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Not my second tomato for the season but my most spectacular to date... Sakharnyi Pudovichok!

Together all three weighed 1kilo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6099a.jpg (249.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6125.jpg (212.1 KB, 189 views)
Old December 22, 2014   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

How do the Sakharnyi P. Taste? I have one that looks to be more than 1 lb starting to ripen.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote