Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2017   #241
tponzi
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, How are the plants doing? All the best, Tomas
tponzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #242
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Plants are already large, they reach to glass. A lot of flowers and small fruits. The forecast reports two frosty nights ( probably the last one). I do not want to lose either one flower or one fetus so I was forced to cover up.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0266.jpg (527.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0268.JPG (177.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0269.JPG (172.8 KB, 272 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #243
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Great idea,I like that.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #244
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes in the hotbed have grown a lot and so some other photos of individual varieties can not be done anymore. Some detailed monitoring of the growth of individual varieties is also impossible. All varieties richly bloom and on the larger half of them are already green fruits. The picture is a fruit from Sophie's choice. Now just I´m waiting until some begin to ripen.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0316.jpg (586.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0318.jpg (481.1 KB, 242 views)
Old May 20, 2017   #245
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Tomatoes in the hotbed have grown a lot and so some other photos of individual varieties can not be done anymore. Some detailed monitoring of the growth of individual varieties is also impossible. All varieties richly bloom and on the larger half of them are already green fruits. The picture is a fruit from Sophie's choice. Now just I´m waiting until some begin to ripen.
Vladimír
Vladimir,I know you will like Sophie's Choice as much as I do.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...hie%27s_Choice

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2017   #246
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1494383584

Vlad, nice to see you make your bed when you get up No pillows?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #247
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

At night on 22.4. Four plants froze in my cold frame. On one (Sarayev Shtambovyi) there was a relatively larger green fruit, which I broke and ripened on the shelf in the bedroom. I tasted this Sunday and compared it with a bigger tomato from the supermarket (220 g) and the cherry tomato Mini Roma (Morocco). The taste was tomato, a bit faint. I put it on a slice of bread with lard and I really savored it. Far better than a large tomato from a store that did not taste like a tomato at all, but the taste of Mini Roma was somewhere else.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0264.jpg (4.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0325.jpg (142.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0328.jpg (168.7 KB, 213 views)
Old May 23, 2017   #248
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0264.jpg (153.4 KB, 212 views)
Old June 11, 2017   #249
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

So far, I have only harvested individual tomatoes. On Thursday 8.6. Sarayev Shtambovyi and Sarayev 0-33, yesterday Sarayev M-22.
The problem is that I have a lot of small tomatoes on the plants that are free of seeds, probably bad pollination, b/c the humidity in the hotbed was very high. Next year I have to solve the ventilation. Do you have any idea how to solve it?
Vladimír
Old June 27, 2017   #250
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Today Carolyn will be pleased. On Sunday, a real harvest of tomatoes began from the hot bed, 6 pcs Sarayev M-22 each 1 oz., 2 pcs Sarayev Shtambovyi each oz. and 4 pcs Sopie's choice of which two 1 oz. and the other two 2 ounces. Today I still harvested one Sophie's choice of 3 ounces and another 5 ounces.
Sophie´s choice is the best number one for me. Next year I will drop them more. Even in the cold bed, in which the plants got a frosty shock (four out of eight did not survive), the tomatoes look good on the Sophie´s choice plant (Figure 2)
Vladimír
PS.: Robert thank you for the seeds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0742.jpg (293.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0740.jpg (434.4 KB, 155 views)
Old July 9, 2017   #251
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps it is time to assess the varieties that I have within my project very early tomatoes grown in hotbeds. The project was far more successful than last year. I've done a lot of mistakes , but since June 15 I had enough tomatoes for my consumption.
Sarayev's (0-33, M-22, Shtambovyi, I-2, Druzhnyi) all have a similar taste. Prematurely harvested tomatoes are a little more acidic, but with more mature, the acidity is lost.
All of these tomatoes taste me. The first ripe tomato (of all varieties) was Sarayev Shtambovyi and 0-33, but in June it was only a few fruits from both. A little later (3-4 days) they began to ripen tomatoes on the M-22, this maturity gradually and in large quantities. The other two varieties (I-2 and Druzhnyi) are, in my opinion, uninteresting to this method of cultivation.
Next year I'm sure to grow 0-33 and M-22, Sarayev Shtambovyi maybe.
Latah
A plant full of very small acid tomatoes. How small tomatoes matured late. With this variety I will not count in the future.
Sophie´s Choice
Very early, not too high, fertile, large tasty tomatoes. Clearly the best, next year I count with at least ten plants.
Urbikany
Disappointment, the plant is not determinant, not low. Late maturing. Next year I will try the Urbikany from the seeds sent to me by Ella (Starlight).
Kalinka
Compared to Sarayev's and Sophie's choice, these tomatoes matured later. Average size and taste similar to Sarayev's. I miss the next year.
Maglia Rosa
This very tasty tomato does not fit into my fog
Mountain Princes
Very high, late mature. No.
Vladimír
Old July 9, 2017   #252
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting, Vladimir!
That is an important distinction you made between O-33 and M-22, earliest fruit vs early steady production. It is similar to what I observed with Kimberley vs Stupice in my early season trial, Kimberley had the absolute earliest fruit, but the full production of ripe tomatoes was about the same time as Stupice with only a few produced earlier on.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #253
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Maglia Rosa
This very tasty tomato does not fit into my fog
Vladimír
I enjoy your posts Vladimir, thanks for sharing. Based on many posts here Maglia Rosa has my interest for growing in the future. I do not understand what you wrote above, can you clarify?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #254
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I enjoy your posts Vladimir, thanks for sharing. Based on many posts here Maglia Rosa has my interest for growing in the future. I do not understand what you wrote above, can you clarify?
fog? future of growing? I don't know either...

Sophie's and Kimberly are my early favorites---Mountain Princess used to be. My 1 plant of Kimberly has large clusters of 2"+ fruits and currently ahead of all others (all had a late start...)

Last edited by korney19; July 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #255
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I do not know how the fog appeared there. Maybe when Google is translated. I have not noticed that. I just wanted to write that I would not grow Maglia Rosa in a hot bed but loosely on the bed with the other determinants and semideterminants.
Vladimír