Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 31, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Amending Fabric Pots

For those who grow in fabric pots, do you guys amend with lime, epsom, etc ? Everything flushes out....

Anyhow, I've got 2 dozen 15G Root Pouches I'm recycling into the flower beds as the bark is pretty well broken down. This year would been year 4 if I was to re-use it, but for the last 2 years priors, I've added more bark/coarse perlite already.

Anyhow, I do intend to add a splash of lime to the new potting medium.
For those that ~amend~, do you guys add said items in your fabric pots, knowing full well, everything will just wash out.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I use partial compost in my grow bags (up to a third) and don't over water, so it doesn't wash out very much. Personally I mix slow release fertilizer thoroughly with the mix.

If you use peat heavy type of potting mix, yes you want to add lime and check the pH. It depends on what you buy. ProMix use sphagnum moss which is more pH neutral. I like potting mix that has well aged coconut coir.

Last edited by maxjohnson; April 4, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #3
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Default Amending Fabric Pots

I use the cornel mix of 1:1:1 peat:compost:aeration (I use pumice).

Yes, I add in lime to the mix, I also add in alfalfa, rock dust, and kelp. If the plants look like they need some Mg I will foliar treat them with rosin dissolved in water but I don’t mix directly in the mix because, as you noted, it wouldn’t stay around for long.

This year I’m also going to try and grow a cover crop/green mulch in them while the tomatoes are growing above. The main reason being to keep the soil moist from the canopy.

I’m in 7 gal smart pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TexasTomat0; April 4, 2018 at 09:05 PM.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #4
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

You could also add dolimite lime for the Mg in it and it should address both issues. It’s a slow release magnesium source and will help raise PH while supplying calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Osmocote, some minerals, and dol. lime if it's around. magnesium calcium and most others (beneficial microorganisms included) can be applied via drench. Lots of mulch always helps.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #6
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

For those familar with Fabric pots, do you guys eventually get the salt or algae buildup on the outsde of your pots. I started using fabric when I ran out of space in dirt a couple of years ago....my fabric pots sits outside 24/7 and sees all seasons.

Anyhow, the salt buildup even with flushing happens .....
What's annoying is just the algae buildup on the outside of the pot.
In the fall, I take a heavy brush and try to scrape/brush most of off with a bleach wash.

I've ordered some Physan just to see...
Even after a long hard winter - aka, I started to prep the pots and amended them with some lime. Whole the whole green growth is not there, I can ~smell~ the wet algae on the outside of the pot. It's not a strong smell but subtle.
Old April 16, 2018   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I buy the cheapest fabrics available and throw them away after a year. Last year I used a lot of the cheaper plastic grow bags in white (5,7,10gal) and they did just as well at 1/5 the cost and will be using those in the future almost exclusively.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #8
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I buy the cheapest fabrics available and throw them away after a year. Last year I used a lot of the cheaper plastic grow bags in white (5,7,10gal) and they did just as well at 1/5 the cost and will be using those in the future almost exclusively.

Ha. I suppose that's one of approaching it. Heh, dumping out multiple15G pot mix, bleach soaking, manual scrubbing is not a fun chore. !
Old April 17, 2018   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
This sounds promising; did you need to use less water.

Did you buy those bags online or from a hydro store? I
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #10
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

On amending, I have not. I start with a water soluble fertilizer at the first true leaves thru the life of the plant and do not use pre-fertilized media. Pretty much greenhouse grower methods, but in an outside garden.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #11
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Yeah. I'm pretty much bark/coase vermic mix. Finished up my Dyna Gro, Going to try FF Grow this year
Old April 16, 2018   #12
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

This year I'm switching from 10 gallon poly growbags to 30 gallon fabric smartpots. The poly growbags are good for 2 years if you don't try to move them. Otherwise they will get brittle after 1 year and rip when moved.

The fabric growbags are heavy duty and should last much longer. And they better for what they cost. I will be happy if I get 3 years out of them.

Epsom salts will flush out but organic fertilizer meals do not. I personally don't think it is needed. I use a peat-based mix with plenty of magnesium in my liming mix and mineral amendments.

I have never noticed lime or powdered mineral amendments getting flushed out in my regular containers, the runoff is clear. And I use a lot of powdered minerals. But again, that's with a peat-based mix and 25-33% compost, and I add microbial inoculants. I assume the mycorrhizae and bacteria help stick everything in place.

I also let a new or refurbished soilless mix sit for a few weeks after mixing and wetting, so I'm not filling containers with dry mix and then watering to runoff.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #13
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I not going to use fabric pots anymore, except for 1 10gal. Too much watering. To
answer your question though, I do amend my potting mix/soil. Whatever I have on
hand, which is dolomite lime, bat guano, azomite, bonemeal, worm castings, and an
organice fertilizer.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #14
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Root Pouches for years now; I still have the original Brown Longest lasting ones; 6 years now. Over the last 3 years, I've been buying the cheaper grey ones.

Mine get so gross; I think it's moss grossing on the sides especially near the base. It is bright green and furry like moss in the woods. The plants really don't seem to mind.

Last year at the end of the season, I pressure washed them all; pressure washed with what you would wash your deck not the heavy duty gas ones that you pressure wash the driveway.

They came out great - really like new.

Over the years, I would put the hose on JET and try to get the 'moss' off;

This season, I've used the 'light' pressure washer twice already while the plants are still in them. The top 6" or so of the pouch is usually clean, so I don't hit it with the water.

The pool of water from the spray is green.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #15
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I've been using Root Pouches for years now; I still have the original Brown Longest lasting ones; 6 years now. Over the last 3 years, I've been buying the cheaper grey ones.

Mine get so gross; I think it's moss grossing on the sides especially near the base. It is bright green and furry like moss in the woods. The plants really don't seem to mind.

Last year at the end of the season, I pressure washed them all; pressure washed with what you would wash your deck not the heavy duty gas ones that you pressure wash the driveway.

They came out great - really like new.

Over the years, I would put the hose on JET and try to get the 'moss' off;

This season, I've used the 'light' pressure washer twice already while the plants are still in them. The top 6" or so of the pouch is usually clean, so I don't hit it with the water.

The pool of water from the spray is green.
I did that before too. Have you tried oxiclean and washing machine? I don't used as many grow pouches as I use to, but I hear that works as well.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote