Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2016   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 2,343
Default skirret, parsley root, chervil root

I was reading a book about flavorful vegetables to grow, and these three (all in the carrot-parsley-celery family) caught my eye. The chervil root, especially, is supposed to have an incredible taste -- it is not the same plant as the leafy herb (Anthriscus). Root chervil is Chaerophyllum bulbosum.

Has anyone tried growing these?

Is there a seed source in the U.S. for root chervil?

habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #2
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Santa Maria California
Posts: 1,007
Default Nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I was reading a book about flavorful vegetables to grow, and these three (all in the carrot-parsley-celery family) caught my eye. The chervil root, especially, is supposed to have an incredible taste -- it is not the same plant as the leafy herb (Anthriscus). Root chervil is Chaerophyllum bulbosum.

Has anyone tried growing these?

Is there a seed source in the U.S. for root chervil?

They're all fabulous. seriously though someone should know with all the brainiacs in this group! .
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #3
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™
 
MarianneW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 153
Default

I enjoy a good search....and the one place in the US that has chervil root is out. You might email them and ask about a packet? Otherwise, here's the place I found that will ship to the US at Ł25 in shipping. Eeek! However, I am happy to get together with you to all order at once and split the shipping and someone divide the order and ship the rest to the other person domestically.
https://www.otterfarm.co.uk/product/chervil-root/
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 3,755
Default

I trialed two parsley roots this year, both were bland. I'll stick with carrots, I think.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I trialed two parsley roots this year, both were bland. I'll stick with carrots, I think.
There is more than one variety of parsley root available? I've only seen Hamburg.

Were the greens ok?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #6
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,555
Default

In the Czech cuisine is the root parsley along with the carrots most commonly used vegetables. This corresponds with a large number of varieties for different growing conditions. Growing parsley root is more challenging than carrots.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
In the Czech cuisine is the root parsley along with the carrots most commonly used vegetables. This corresponds with a large number of varieties for different growing conditions. Growing parsley root is more challenging than carrots.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 3,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
There is more than one variety of parsley root available? I've only seen Hamburg.

Were the greens ok?
Not sure. I didn't try any, but my brother kept cutting them all summer and fall.

The Czech Rep. is the epicenter of parsley root varieties.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,555
Default

Tormato is right. Currently they are selling seeds of these varieties of root parsley: Konika,Olomoucká dlouhá, Alba, Osborne, Hanácká, Atika, Jadran, Orbis, Dobra.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #10
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Tormato is right. Currently they are selling seeds of these varieties of root parsley: Konika,Olomoucká dlouhá, Alba, Osborne, Hanácká, Atika, Jadran, Orbis, Dobra.
Vladimír
Wow!

I've found leaf parsley challenging to grow. The most reliable method is to let my plants go to seed, then transplant the seedlings.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016   #11
Ken B
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 201
Default

Fedco sometimes has skirret, but make sure to order it in December, it usually sells out fast!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★