Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™
 
adewilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 72
Default Anthracnose

Anthracnose has come back to my garden this year. Last year, I lost a lot of lovely tomatoes to this fungus. I've been spraying with Green Cure, but have slacked off a bit recently. I guess I need to get out there again. However, last night I sprayed with Bill's bleach spray. Does anyone know if that will help? Any other thoughts on killing this? I try to keep things as green as possible. Thanks!!!
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 19,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Anthracnose has come back to my garden this year. Last year, I lost a lot of lovely tomatoes to this fungus. I've been spraying with Green Cure, but have slacked off a bit recently. I guess I need to get out there again. However, last night I sprayed with Bill's bleach spray. Does anyone know if that will help? Any other thoughts on killing this? I try to keep things as green as possible. Thanks!!!
Are you sure it is anthacnose and I ask b/c where I've grown tomatoes more northerly than you it only appears towards fall when the temps are getting colder at night.

First the pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.qq38sCtboHk

And now the links

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...&bih=788&dpr=1

Off hand I don't know any way to prevent it since it's almost always due to weather and no one can control the weather.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™
 
adewilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Are you sure it is anthacnose and I ask b/c where I've grown tomatoes more northerly than you it only appears towards fall when the temps are getting colder at night.

First the pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.qq38sCtboHk

And now the links

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...&bih=788&dpr=1

Off hand I don't know any way to prevent it since it's almost always due to weather and no one can control the weather.

Carolyn
Thanks for the links, Carolyn! It looks like anthracnose to me. I've attached photos. Maybe it's something else?

It's such a bummer when you think you have a lovely tomato and Mother Nature gets you right at the finish line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.jpg (188.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.jpg (157.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (164.9 KB, 58 views)
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 19,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Thanks for the links, Carolyn! It looks like anthracnose to me. I've attached photos. Maybe it's something else?

It's such a bummer when you think you have a lovely tomato and Mother Nature gets you right at the finish line!
It sure does look like anthracnose but I think there are some other possibilities as well, especially if the lesions you show are fairly new,see the other depressed ones with yellow dots in them.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...TomFrtKey.html

Speaking of weather it looks like rain all night and tomorrow, but given a choice between just rain and T storms and hail and high winds, I'll take the former.

Carolyn,who thinks the above link from Cornell is a good one to have as a resource.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™
 
b54red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,033
Default

You might also be having problems with stink bugs or leaf footed bugs. They will sting the fruit and as it ripens spots appear at the sting spot. I once thought I had Antracnose but found out when I wiped out the stink bugs and leef footed bugs it disappeared along with them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,033
Default

I suffer from it on the mangoe and some lychee trees .Came from infestation upwind at a grove.Once it is here it has to run its life out through cultural practice,time and some Immunox that controls it,( affected the frangipanis also)mass trimming etc.Never had the maters affected,but looks like that "gray wall lesions"that morph into a cancerous looking mess.
__________________
KURT
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★