Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 17, 2012   #16
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Worth, you crack me up! Somehow you can always put into words what I am thinking

The rest of you boys are just much braver than I!
Old July 17, 2012   #17
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Worth, you crack me up! Somehow you can always put into words what I am thinking

The rest of you boys are just much braver than I!
Geesh - me too but I'm betting DH would want me to grow this for him. And I probably will now that I'm reading about it but --- I know it will show up in a dish that I'll be tasting!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #18
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I should be near bulletproof by now, I know I've wished I was dead more than once after trying some of these varieties.

Babice, if you want some of the superhots dried for DH to try in a dish or two just PM me, I still have plenty from my monster season last year. Not the same as fresh, but something to experience...
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #19
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

what a nice offer Mark

I feel like these peppers would really make me want to die. I braved chomping on a Serrano chili and it was not pretty. I couldnt imagine of of these guys.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #20
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Babice, if you want some of the superhots dried for DH to try in a dish or two just PM me, I still have plenty from my monster season last year. Not the same as fresh, but something to experience...
Cool! Well - I mean HOT! You'll have to put a warning on the outside of the envelope so the postman doesn't sniff it and have a heartattack or something! He'll love that (and I'm scairt). I'll PM ya!
Old July 17, 2012   #21
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No, butch T is just a particular strain of the scorpion, the TS morouga is a different pepper.
ah i see i got it now...i didnt realize scorpion butch t was replaced by morouga. i lovee mega scoville peppers, i am obsessed! but im not a big fan of c chinense funny flavor (except for bhut jolokia), but its worth the heat.
starrywishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #22
jacksson
Tomatovillian™

How about posting your recipe.
jacksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #23
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

A nice person on this forum sent me some fatali pepper seeds. Well, one of them finally turned bright yellow in the garden - I mean 1960s hallucinogen yellow - so I picked it, and took a cautious little bite.

I thought the top of my mouth was going to burn out. It was scalding. How do you guys do it?

And what do I do with the other fatalis now turning yellow?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #24
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i like to combine the flavor of the fatalii's with tropical fruits- sweetness offsets the heat a bit. fatalii pineapple ginger sauce/glaze is in my fridge currently.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #25
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
A nice person on this forum sent me some fatali pepper seeds. Well, one of them finally turned bright yellow in the garden - I mean 1960s hallucinogen yellow - so I picked it, and took a cautious little bite.

I thought the top of my mouth was going to burn out. It was scalding. How do you guys do it?

And what do I do with the other fatalis now turning yellow?
It's like weightlifting, don't load up the bar for a 300# bench press your first time in the gym.

This isn't an original recipe, lots of versions of this out there floating around, but it is a very good use for fatalii peppers. Seeing as how you're in GA and it's also mango season, this should be a good one for you. Nice with pretty much anything, for an interesting twist try it on some vanilla ice cream.

Fruity Fatalii Sauce

1 med white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 mango, peeled & chopped
1 large peach or two medium peaches, peeled & chopped
6 fatalii peppers, (remove seeds and internal placenta to decrease heat if needed)
3 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
juice & zest of 1 lime

Directions
Sweat the onions & garlic in the oil for a few minutes until soft, but do not brown
Add the mango, peach and fatalii peppers and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, covered for about 5 minutes
Add the vinegar and puree the contents of the pan in a blender until smooth
Stir in the honey, salt & lime zest and juice and allow to cool slightly
Pour into sterilized jar and refridgerate until ready for use, allow at least 1 day for flavors to meld

Makes about a pint
Old July 22, 2012   #26
babice
Tomatovillian™

DH wants to know what various things you do with this sauce, marktutt...
Old July 22, 2012   #27
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

This is a fairly mild and fruity one with a tropical flair, I like it on chicken, shrimp or fish. This is a good entry level sauce, you can increase the number of peppers used to bump up the heat level to what you're comfortable with.

For example to whip up a quick shrimp salad I'll take some of this and mix it with a bit of plain yogurt and use that as the dressing.
Old July 22, 2012   #28
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
For example to whip up a quick shrimp salad I'll take some of this and mix it with a bit of plain yogurt and use that as the dressing.
DH says this sounds good. (read: babice will likely be trying this soon...). DH has a habenero cookbook he uses for a lot of the stuff he makes us. He makes a yummy caribbean jerk chicken with habeneros that is surprisingly not too hot (although I do have a bit of a tolerance built up). It has cinnamon, pineapples, oranges, mangos, etc. and is very yummy.
Old July 22, 2012   #29
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Looks good Mark.

I like making one with mangoes and carrots...sometimes adding pear and pineapple too...with scotch bonnets. Not for the timid....but definitely full of fruity flavour.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #30
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

To answer the original posters question re seed available, I have T.S. Moruga plants in my garden from a 100% certified source. I will send seed to Sandhill Preservation presuming I get a reasonable crop. From what I can see so far, I have half a dozen ripe and several hundred more that are getting ripe.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote