Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 20, 2012   #1
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

Default Spunbond grow bag

Can spunbond bags be used to grow tomatoes and what would be a good size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Andybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2012   #2
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

So after getting the bags from my mother in-law I planted some potatoes in them as they look like they would work well for this. I will post some pics later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old October 22, 2012   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I only used grow bags once in my life many many years ago, about 40 bags and they were maybe 5 gallons? +/-?. I don't believe they were spunbond, just extra thick black plastic grow bags. They worked just fine. I used a 50/50 mix of very very well composted cow manure and vermiculite. I grew under 2 x 1000 watt metal halide lamps. It was a Christmas present to myself. I had plants 5 feet tall and producing fruit by the time I transplanted them in the spring. Problem was the electric bill. In the end I just figured it wasn't a cost effective way to get the first tomatoes of the season. So I sold the lights and never tried it again.

And yes to those reading this, I have always been a bit crazy, even in my youth.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; October 22, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012   #4
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

Here are the bags filled with soil and ready for the potatoes. The nice thing about these bags is that the can be extended as the potato grows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spunbond Bags.jpg (57.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Sunbond Bags 1.jpg (48.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Spunbond Bags 2.jpg (61.2 KB, 25 views)
Old February 26, 2013   #5
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

So how did your potatoes turn out Andybear?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #6
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

I had some good success and some interesting results from those bags. Also learnt somethings for next season.

The smaller bag gets to hot therefore the bag should be about 40cm diameter and up.
And the second thing is make sure you have a lot of soil in reserve. They take a lot of soil to full them up.

Small bag produced 10 potatoes
Larger bag produced 18 potatoes
As for the largest bag 25 + potatoes

Make sure the bag itself is kept out of the sun as it can get hot.
Keep your pets away from the bags as they will scratch them until they have broken them. And watch the moisture as these bags do tend to dry out quicker.

Nice thing is these bags can be moved around from one area to another thus insuring that your potatoes have the best growing conditions.
Very easy to harvest the potatoes, just tip the bag over and you can pick up all the potatoes no need to dig them out.

My children were fascinated by how one potato shoot can make so many potatoes.
The best was the flavor and smell. Just wonderful.

Wish I had planted more bags, but next season I hope to have many more bags planted not only at home but also in an area where people are less privileged as well as some for my staff.

Its going to be one busy season.