Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 10, 2016   #46
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Alex Popovich is the one who first sent me Slonovo Uvo pepper seeds. He translated it as Elephant's Ear and told me some people translate it as Donkey's Ear.

Ironically, I took a green pepper off of my Elephant's Ear plant this afternoon to slice up to use as a pizza topping. It's the first full size pepper I've taken from the plant out of my indoor garden this winter. Took a couple tiny ones off that were growing funny, but those don't count. Still have a few on my plant and will let them ripen up before harvesting.
Yes good to know thanks Omaha!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #47
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome, Linda.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #48
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
What is the difference between "baby Aji Amarillo" and the regular Aji Amarillo? I've been wanting to grow Aji Amarillo for some time.

You may have just added to my pepper list.
https://store.growartisan.com/categories/seeds

I have the baby Aji Amarillo. He now also has a larger version.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #49
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Which snacking peppers do you grow?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Ginny,

My seed source was Yummy Mix from Jung. I contacted their customer service asking if they were OP or F1 because the website didn't say. I was told OP and I have saved seeds. IIRC this year they are listed as F1. I wonder if the variety has changed or they just list them as F1 when they are not.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the variety has 'hybrid' in the name, but in the info section it is listed as open pollinated: https://www.jungseed.com/P/03247/Yummy+Pepper+Mix

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 10, 2016 at 10:37 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016   #50
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Ginny,

My seed source was Yummy Mix from Jung. I contacted their customer service asking if they were OP or F1 because the website didn't say. I was told OP and I have saved seeds. IIRC this year they are listed as F1. I wonder if the variety has changed or they just list them as F1 when they are not.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the variety has 'hybrid' in the name, but in the info section it is listed as open pollinated: https://www.jungseed.com/P/03247/Yummy+Pepper+Mix
Oh wow. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016   #51
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Sort of off topic for this but look at these carried by a local store near me. I've been afraid to try them... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016   #52
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I am excited for Aji as well, I want to try and make some Papa a la Huancaína. It looks amazing and simple. http://perudelights.com/papa-a-la-huancaina-revisited/
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016   #53
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I'm taking Bell Peppers off of the chili list as far as I am concerned from now on they are not a pepper.

Worth
I'm still trying some. I had pretty good luck with Yellow Monster and Spanish Mammoth. Producing mostly late in the season. They seem to work for cooler areas , so might not work for you? Not a great amount of production, like 3 or 4 ripened peppers and 4 or 5 green peppers at the end of the season., I was happy with that number.
The last ripe pepper on November 2 of Spanish Mammoth
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2016   #54
green_go
Tomatovillian™

In 2014 season, I had a great success with Carmen F1 pepper. Perfect for short summers (zones 4 and 5)
I grew around 30 pants in total (about 20 of them were Carmen) and every week between August and mid-September, I was grilling multiple trays of Carmen peppers and freezing them, because we could not consume all the ripe ones.
Then in 2015, I decided to expand my selection in terms of colour and shape and decided to try bells too. Not all of them turned out good, but some did (I listed them earlier).
I probably will go back to mostly growing Carmen with some Gypsy and select bells.
Pic of my harvest from 2014 and 2015.

2014:

2015:
Old January 14, 2016   #55
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post

Sort of off topic for this but look at these carried by a local store near me. I've been afraid to try them... :-)

Ginny
The Rocoto on the bottom shelf middle bright red with the little Inca god on it, get it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #56
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Definitely going big on the Aji Amarillo this year. Last year my whole crop came from the seed from one Aji Amarillo pepper.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; January 16, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #57
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Definitely going big on the Aji Amarillo this year. Last year my whole crop came from the seed from one Aji Amarillo pepper.

I'm really looking forward to the big Aji Amarillo this year as well. I loved the flavor of the little ones last year.

The other is a repeat from last year -- Leutschauer Paprika. The flavor of the paprika powder I made from it is amazing, but I only grew one plant and now I'm almost out of paprika 😥
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #58
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I'm really looking forward to the big Aji Amarillo this year as well. I loved the flavor of the little ones last year.

The other is a repeat from last year -- Leutschauer Paprika. The flavor of the paprika powder I made from it is amazing, but I only grew one plant and now I'm almost out of paprika ��
Yeah I think that L Paprika is the best Paprika I have tried so far.
I grew Aji Lemon and all these peppers are from Peru seem to work well here. I don't have the big aji and never tried the little Amarillo, although i will this year.
Aji lemon was easy to grow, and prolific. So Amarillo next time, well at least the original Aji Amarillo.
I really enjoy the new Mex Hatch type peppers. Good flavor. I'll be growing a lot of them. I made a green chili stew, and it was a keeper I'll always make when I have them!
I'm also looking forward to trying some non bell sweets, see what works here. And some super hots too. I like to make a spray to keep the mammals out of my fruit trees! Plus the sauces I like to make. Peppers rule!

Last edited by drew51; January 16, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 16, 2016   #59
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I grew Aji Lemon and all these peppers are from Peru seem to work well here. I don't have the big aji and never tried the little Amarillo, although i will this year.
Aji lemon was easy to grow, and prolific.

Aji Limon/Lemon Drop really loves my growing environment here as well. It's another grow every year variety. I use it both for powder and for hot sauce. The powder gives a really unique flavor to Tex/Mex dishes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #60
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Well if you like Tex Mex you have to try that Green Chili stew. I used boneless pork loin as I had it on hand. The green chili's don't grow well here, and well we are close to the same weather.
So I grow a lot of them. Of course the one with not the best taste grows the best
Todo Dia Mira El Sol Chili Pepper. I'll grow again as it produced over a dozen chili peppers!
Big Jim ws probably the best tasting, super good! Not very productive. I tried Heritage, and Legacy Big Jim's. Both outstanding! Even with only 4-6 peppers, still so good! Any of the Numex green chili's taste good! 6-4, etc. Sandia is the hot one if you like hot green chili!

http://www.food.com/recipe/authentic...le-stew-277862