Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 18, 2016   #16
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Anyone get a sizable and productive Sun Gold in a 15 or 20 gallon pot?
We grow one every year in a 1/2 whiskey barrel on the deck, think that is about 18-20 gallons of growing mix. The plant does great, produces early and goes until frost.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2016   #17
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I have mostly 15 gallon fabric pots, but some 20 gallon. I'm thinking I'll put the large hybrids, Sun Gold/ Sweet Million/ Big Beef, in the 20's and use the 15 gallon on the indeterminate heirlooms.

Thank You
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #18
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

SWC = Shallow Water Culture (hydroponics)
SIP = Sub-Irrigated Planter

A sub-irrigated planter could be considered a passive shallow water culture. No pumps actively circulating water, and the roots are not growing in water but a soilless mix that also acts as a wick.

Last year one of my 27 gallon SIPs contained one Sungold and one Black Krim. Decent yields, no splitting, but the same cultivars in larger container produced a lot more 'maters.

If you cover the SIP with a sheet of plastic like earthbox growers do, heavy rains will have less on an impact on the moisture level as long as it can run off instead of pool on top of the plastic.

Last edited by fonseca; March 29, 2016 at 12:59 AM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote