Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 13, 2016   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Anaheim Chili Pepper...

Trying it for the first time this year? Looking forward to roasting it more than anything.

I like the mild to medium aspect of it as I don't like it to over power the taste of my food.

Thoughts? Productive?

Thanks!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

My Anaheims were moderately productive last year and it is the only "new-mex" variety that I grow. I dried most of mine and used the powder in various recipes. A few I chopped finely (with other pepper varieties), sautéed and used in a chile con carne which was very good too. Never tried roasting them.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
My Anaheims were moderately productive last year and it is the only "new-mex" variety that I grow. I dried most of mine and used the powder in various recipes. A few I chopped finely (with other pepper varieties), sautéed and used in a chile con carne which was very good too. Never tried roasting them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I grew it alongside NuMex Big Jim last year. Big Jim was more productive and the peppers were larger, but after roasting and peeling, the two were indistinguishable in my opinion.

Try roasting and peeling a few then using in dishes -- beans and rice, green chili (very good in pork chili verde), enchilada's, etc, etc.

I de-stem and de-seed them after roasting and peeling then lay them flat on parchment and put them in the freezer. Once frozen they go into ziplock bags and I can pull out just what I need.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #5
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Famersdaughter, I planned on doing some kind of Fajita type thing with them as well. Great ideas, Thanks!

Rhines, Power is a good idea as well!

Thanks All!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We grew Nu-Mex Anaheims and used them for stuffing....meat, rice beans, cheese...anything we could think of. Ours were a little on the spicy side but not overpowering. No aftertaste.
Old February 13, 2016   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I really live them. Roasted and peeled,then use for green chile stew. I also make an egg casserole,sort of tastes like the eggy version of chile rellenos. Of course stuffed.
I had some get crazy hot in AZ but usually milder than jalapeños. Just the dry/heat and hot soil where I had them would cause the mid summer peppers heat up to insanity levels.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #8
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

A local supermarket here in Springfield, Missouri sold a truckload of "Hatch" chiles from New Mexico last fall, and a friend and I split a case of the "mild" ones. The two types offered were "mild" and "hot" - they looked about the same.

We roasted them to blister the skins, then froze the peppers in bags. We've been using them to make chiles rellenos since. They're good, and the skins come right off since the peppers were roasted, then frozen, then thawed. I fermented, dried, and saved a bunch of seeds from some of the riper peppers (before roasting) and I'll try growing them this year.

These may be hybrids and not breed true, I don't know. The variety of "Hatch" chile wasn't specified, and I think "Hatch" is a generic term referring to the area where they're grown in NM rather than a specific variety These looked a lot like Anaheims to me. It'll be interesting to see how they do in the garden.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #9
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
These may be hybrids and not breed true, I don't know. The variety of "Hatch" chile wasn't specified, and I think "Hatch" is a generic term referring to the area where they're grown in NM rather than a specific variety These looked a lot like Anaheims to me. It'll be interesting to see how they do in the garden.
Anaheims originally were a New Mexico green chile pepper, cultivar #9 that were taken to Anaheim, CA by a guy that grew them exclusively in the late 1800's. I am sure it has mutated and been crossed quite a bit since that time. To be a Hatch pepper, it MUST be grown in Hatch, NM. People throw that term around for most all of the New Mex varieties.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #10
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
To be a Hatch pepper, it MUST be grown in Hatch, NM. People throw that term around for most all of the New Mex varieties.
Interesting. Thanks!

These weren't labeled or advertised by whatever variety of pepper they were, but the cardboard cartons were printed with "NuMEX HATCH CHILES" along with the name of the distributor and an address in Hatch, NM. So I'm sure they're authentic as to the area.

I know that several pepper varieties are legitimately sold as "Hatch" chiles, and at least two different Anaheim-looking types were offered from that truck here last fall - "mild" and "hot". I've also read that the soil and climate of the Hatch Valley along the Rio Grande is ideal for growing these chiles, and they're not quite the same when grown somewhere else.

I'd like to go to the Hatch N.M. Harvest Festival sometime - the main street of town hosts a fiesta - lots of chile-based fun, music, dancing, and good food. If it turns out that those chiles aren't as good when grown here at home, then I could sure bring a bunch of them back!
Old February 15, 2016   #11
MissionGardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I had some get crazy hot in AZ but usually milder than jalapeños. Just the dry/heat and hot soil where I had them would cause the mid summer peppers heat up to insanity levels.
Very interesting, I had the same thing happen two years ago with some sweet peppers I grew in pots over the summer. Somehow they survived the incinerator that is our summer and when I tried them I almost died they were so hot, I just couldn't believe it. You say it's the dry air and hot soil that causes that? I've been curious as to how a sweetish pepper gets that hot.
MissionGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #12
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGardens View Post
You say it's the dry air and hot soil that causes that? I've been curious as to how a sweetish pepper gets that hot.
I've wondered about that too. We used to live about 60 miles east of L.A. in Southern California where summer conditions were very hot and dry with little rain and the soil was sandy. I grew good gardens there, but even mild hot pepper varieties turned out so hot we could hardly use them. I tried raising Anaheim peppers one year and they put big water blisters on my wife's hands and fingers when she tried to cut them up and they were far too hot for us to eat - she still talks about that.

Here in Missouri where conditions are more moderate, my garden peppers of most varieties develop much less heat, and I wonder why. I had to water my gardens generously in CA, so the pepper plants weren't deprived of water, and summer temps may never reach 112 or so here in MO but 100 isn't uncommon. Unlike in CA, our summer nights stay hot too. I think the difference in pepper "heat" must come from the great differences in humidity and soil between the two places, unless smog causes them to get hot! (yuck).
Old February 15, 2016   #13
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
Interesting. Thanks!

These weren't labeled or advertised by whatever variety of pepper they were, but the cardboard cartons were printed with "NuMEX HATCH CHILES" along with the name of the distributor and an address in Hatch, NM. So I'm sure they're authentic as to the area.

I know that several pepper varieties are legitimately sold as "Hatch" chiles, and at least two different Anaheim-looking types were offered from that truck here last fall - "mild" and "hot". I've also read that the soil and climate of the Hatch Valley along the Rio Grande is ideal for growing these chiles, and they're not quite the same when grown somewhere else.

I'd like to go to the Hatch N.M. Harvest Festival sometime - the main street of town hosts a fiesta - lots of chile-based fun, music, dancing, and good food. If it turns out that those chiles aren't as good when grown here at home, then I could sure bring a bunch of them back!
Ozark,

You may want to consider a trip to Colorado in the fall to experience our chile festival.

http://www.pueblochilefestivalinfo.com

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #14
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Ozark,

You may want to consider a trip to Colorado in the fall to experience our chile festival.

http://www.pueblochilefestivalinfo.com

George
I didn't see that there was a video before I posted earlier. Here it is and things really get going at night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEnZYbBu5A

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Anaheim peppers also make a wonderful tasting chili powder. The scent alone makes my mouth water.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote