Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 30, 2016   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Just Natural Organic Potting Mix

Has anyone used this product? I just bought it at Wal Mart.

Its really dense and I'm worried about ruining the progress at this stage.It may be great, just not much info on the net.

I'm in the process of potting up tomatoes from 6 packs to a larger container. They're about 6-8 inches now and need it badly. I went to buy pine mulch to lighten the miracle grow I have (did not want to use perlite) and saw this brand full of good ingredients and bought a few bags home. I'm about 10 plants in and having second thoughts. Would like to hear results if anyone used it.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #2
Locomatto
Tomatovillian™

I have, and like you I found it very dense ... more like top soil than potting soil. I tried it with a few plants in pots and they never did that well, so I ended up just tilling it into the garden and getting a different brand next time.

If I were to get it again, I would probably mix it 50/50 with another brand of potting soil, or mix it with something like coir or peat to improve the air & water flow through the soil.
Locomatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #3
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious as to why you did not want to add perlite to your MG and were going to add pine mulch instead? Wouldn't the pine addition acidify the MG mix?

I have no experience with the mix you asked about, but as or organic potting mix I'm using MG Nature's Care mix this year and it seems to be performing very well so far - good moisture retention without being soggy.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Over time perlite can float to the top in a container or raised bed situation, so I prefer not to add more than comes in the mix.

I can't speak to the PH as our soil is very alkaline and adding a little acidity is okay.

My plants are doing okay but I would .rather not have had to mix to get a better texture. All I can say is I miss using a quality mix such as Dr Earth, Fertilome, Fafard or Pro Mix BX. They are uniform and no guess work, and they feel gritty and not mucky.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote