Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old September 25, 2011   #106
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

lakelady,

I am still planting my Fall tomatoes, and Snow Peas, as well as another round of cucumbers, so have been very busy out in the garden.

I will need to dig out the 2 part numbers, but the key components in the Level Tube are the 1/2 inch I.D. grommet, as well as the 1/2 inch Watts nylon barb elbow. The elbow is easy to find at any Ace Hardware store. The rubber grommet is ONLY available from HydroFarm - - and sold at Hydroponics Shops. Again, in a few weeks I will need to dig out the HydroFarm part number, but just ask for a 1/2 inch I.D. grommet that will require you to drill a 3/4 inch hole.

Be VERY careful in drilling a near perfect round hole, or if you get any "wobble" the rubber grommet may leak.

You will want to drill the 3/4 inch hole right above the "seam" in the Rubbermaid, or else, the grommet will be too low, and again, it could leak at the very bottom rounded area of the container. Make sense??

You will need a 10 inch section of 1/2 inch I.D. clear tube (H.D. or Lowes) for the level indicator. Put the red tape (or sliver off the Rubbermaid label about 3-3/4 inch above the bottom of the container.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; September 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2011   #107
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray, thanks for the response. I'm thinking it could also be possible to caulk around that hole too? Wouldn't shower or tub caulk work? Last thing I'd want is water on my wood floor yikes... Next week I'll have time to go to the hydro store (it's a bit of a drive from my house), so I'll find out. My seedlings are still doing okay in their 6" pots for now all snug and cozy
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2011   #108
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

No need to caulk around the grommet - water pressure is very low to begin with, so as long as you drill a nicely rounded hole (I use a 3/4" wood boring drill bit - you know the type with the small screw tip on the end of it) and at slow speed. I then use a de-burring tool to remove the "hanging chads" - or a bit of sandpaper would work, to get a really smooth 3/4" hole.

I place my InnTainers on the upside-down lids, which acts as a bit of a moat, to contain any spilled water from the filler tube activities - - sometimes my aim is not too good with the water can late at night.

Raybo

p.s. I am on Page 3 of the new InnTainer Guide - - progress!!!
Old September 27, 2011   #109
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

lakelady,

I dug out my ole bucket of InnTainer parts this evening and took some "reference photos" for you. Before you drive a long distance to the Hydro store, call them with the General Hydroponics grommet Part Number 4165 and verify they have them available:

You will NOT find this grommet at Home Depot nor Lowes.
For reference, this is what the two components look like (before inserting the grommet into the Rubbermaid):

I found 2 manufacturers of the Nylon 1/2 inch barb elbow:

And lastly, here is the part number at Home Depot for the 5/8 inch O.D., 1/2 inch I.D. clear tubing:

Hopefully, this info will hold you until I get the Construction Guide completed.

Raybo
Old October 7, 2011   #110
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

You are wonderful to share and help with this Ray!! I will call the store today as I want to get this project done over the weekend! Thanks a bunch!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2011   #111
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I just can't seem to source the PondLife basket for a reasonable price anywhere, and my local Hydro store only sells Hydro-Farm, which I think have a greater depth. So far, the best price I can find is ~$3 a basket, and I need to buy 16 or more. Do you know of any online source (or one near Sacramento) that might sell these for a more reasonable price, once shipping is accounted? If not, I'll probably just bite the bullet and go for the $3- price.

Thanks, Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2011   #112
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

You can Google 5" Net Pot, and you will get several on-line sources. Trouble is, shipping at most sites exceeds the cost of the Pots!

I found this Site which sells the Hydrofarms 5" Net Pots in a bag of 50, for $26.00 plus $9.00 for the shipping, which works out to be $0.70 per Net Pot.

http://www.wayfair.com/show_detail.php?sku=HYF1093&piid

While you may not use all 50 immediately, over time you will build out a lot more EarthTainers and InnTainers - trust me..

Raybo

p.s. You can also order the Trellis Netting you will need at the same Site, and with your Net Pots, shipping still totals $9.00. Select the 60" by 360" item which totals about $10.37.

http://www.wayfair.com/Hydrofarm-Tre...N-HYF1114.html

p.p.s. I've just ordered a bag of 50 Net Pots, as well as the Trellis Netting. Delivery estimate confirmed for Oct 26. Not bad!

Last edited by rnewste; October 23, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old October 23, 2011   #113
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,

You confirmed just what I needed. I wasn't sure that the Hydrofarm 5" pot would work in our Inn/EarthTainer application, as I know the PondLife was explicitly specified in your instructions. The Pondlife has a 4" depth, but I can't confirm the depth of the Hydrofarm pot, so I was concerned that they may not fit (vertically). The other concern I had was that I noticed the Hydrofarm pots don't have the hole-mesh running all the way to the top, while the pond-life do. So, perhaps the wicking capability and rate is different. If you confirm the Hydrofarm will fit your model, I'll gladly grab this 50 pack.

I've used that exact Trellis netting hanging off a structure of conduit tube for my outdoor vines. In what sense where you planning to use the netting? Are you planning on running a layer horizontally within your shelving structure (indoors), or will you try and hang a vertical run for the vines to grow up? Just curious.

Thanks,
Naysen
Old October 24, 2011   #114
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

The 5" diameter Net Pots run about 4" in depth. Even if there is some variation between Manufacturer, the inverted Net Pot scribing method I illustrate in the Guide will perfectly compensate for that.

Regarding the Trellis Netting, I use these 14" by 28" panels strung horizontally on the cage rungs, to form 8 vertical channels for the tomato vines to use in the EarthTainers. You can see one of the panels on the second rung I used on my PepperTainers here:

For the InnTainer crop this Winter, I have selected dwarf bush-type Varieties that should need no, or minimal support. I have the small wire hoop tomato cages standing by, if they are needed to support the plants.

Raybo
Old October 24, 2011   #115
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

I see I've showcased my ignorance of the Tainer design in asking/worrying about variable net pot depth. You're right, the inverted pot with marker scribing routine should adjust the cut to the size of the net pot.

I'll go ahead and order the 50-pack now and some spare trellising for next year. I haven't purchased any of the pea-fencing just yet, as it will not be needed until next season. If you should see a sale or deal on them, please send a holler on this thread.

Thanks for all your help.
-naysen
Old October 25, 2011   #116
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to report that my order for the 50 wicking baskets and Trellis Netting arrived today from Wayfair - one day earlier than expected. Good shopping experience with this Company.

Raybo
Old October 25, 2011   #117
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I agree Ray. I purchased a rabbit fence from the site recently, and it arrived in good time and the pricing was very good. I also got a 15% off coupon code, which I've applied to my order of the 50 wicking baskets and Trellis Netting.

Note, on the visual pic for that netting it lists a net spacing of 5", however the bullet description lists 7" I'm curious which it was?
-naysen
Old October 25, 2011   #118
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

When expanded out to its capacity, it fits nicely over the 14" by 28" cage tines (7 inch spacing) in 3 strings by 5 strings cut size.

Where did you find the 15% discount code, for future reference?

Raybo
Old October 25, 2011   #119
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

After I purchasing this (http://www.teakwickerandmore.com/asp...BFO1000&init=1) fence, I received an email with two coupon codes, one for 15% off the entire order and the 2nd for 20% off a single item. I used the 15% coupon. I'm not sure if the 20% coupon is still active or if it's locked to my name, but you're welcome to try it if you have another order to make. Just PM me.
-naysen
Old November 6, 2011   #120
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

I have a good amount of almost pre-cut to the correct size 1" Sch40 PVC pipe. It's just lying about in the backyard waiting to be used for something like these InnTainers. Do you see any major issue in using 1" rather than 11/4"? I've already bought the 13/4" hole saw. Any issue you see in running 1" pipe into the 13/4" holes? I realize that will let the pipe slack more and slant opening a larger air-gap.

Thanks,
Naysen