Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old January 9, 2013   #1
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant success soluble- giving it a try this season

I've been trying to find Myco Grow locally. Not happening since I just found out they have no national distributors. I picked up a product called Plant Success Soluble at a local hydroponics store. It has both endo and ecto mycorrhizae. I know the tomatoes will only "bond" with then endo, but the ecto are going along for the ride. This product also has 11 species of bacteria listed and 2 species of Tricoderma. A 4 oz tub was $20. I think this will last through 4 growing seasons. You add one scoop (looks like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon) to a gallon of water. I'm about to start potting up my seedlings. This will be their first pot up to a 4 inch pot. I'm planning on using this now and when they go in the ground. Has anyone else tried this product?
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

A good company and have heard only but good things about their products. I picked up some Plant Success Granular with the myco's and ferts at 3-1-2 to try this year. Will still use MycoGrow Soluable for my plant dip but will sprinkle the plant success in the planting holes. Ami
Old January 10, 2013   #3
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerkitty View Post
I've been trying to find Myco Grow locally. Not happening since I just found out they have no national distributors. I picked up a product called Plant Success Soluble at a local hydroponics store. It has both endo and ecto mycorrhizae. I know the tomatoes will only "bond" with then endo, but the ecto are going along for the ride. This product also has 11 species of bacteria listed and 2 species of Tricoderma. A 4 oz tub was $20. I think this will last through 4 growing seasons. You add one scoop (looks like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon) to a gallon of water. I'm about to start potting up my seedlings. This will be their first pot up to a 4 inch pot. I'm planning on using this now and when they go in the ground. Has anyone else tried this product?
I have used it, and it works great, make sure you used dechlorinated water. Also, make sure you water your plants with dechlorinated water.

it's kinda to useless it if you water your plants with municipal water that contain chlorine/fluoride. The chlorine/fluoride will kill most if not all the mycorrhizae.

Last edited by tqn626; January 10, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #4
eltex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
it's kinda to useless it if you water your plants with municipal water that contain chlorine/fluoride. The chlorine/fluoride will kill most if not all the mycorrhizae.
That is interesting. I know what is in our muni water, but I've never heard that the levels are so high that they destroy all our myco's. Do you have any study data with this info, or is it just a best guess?

Also, I saw that OZBO is offerring 4.95 flat rate shipping again. If you need your ferts for the spring, it's a cheap way to get 50-100lbs shipped quickly.
Old January 10, 2013   #5
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltex View Post
That is interesting. I know what is in our muni water, but I've never heard that the levels are so high that they destroy all our myco's. Do you have any study data with this info, or is it just a best guess?

Also, I saw that OZBO is offerring 4.95 flat rate shipping again. If you need your ferts for the spring, it's a cheap way to get 50-100lbs shipped quickly.
I have no scientific data to support this, but I have done experiments with my own plants.
I live in Los Angeles area which has heavily treated water.

I guess you're right, depends on your area.
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

The Chlorine levels in muni water is there to kill bacteria and other life that may be pathogenic to us but it also kills the good guys. Chlorine is easy to get rid of since its volatile, just let the water sit for a few hours and it will out gas from the water. Boiling the water, aerating the
water or putting it in bright sunlight will make the Chlorine go away faster.
If your water is treated with Chloramine, then the above solutions for Chlorine won't work.
Adding a little bit of citric acid, ascorbic acid or humic acid will tie up the Chloramine as well as Chlorine. Reducing sugars in molasses will tie up Chlorine,but I'm not sure about Chloramine.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here a link to a previous thread concerning Treated water. Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=Chloramine
Old January 14, 2013   #8
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
A good company and have heard only but good things about their products. I picked up some Plant Success Granular with the myco's and ferts at 3-1-2 to try this year. Will still use MycoGrow Soluable for my plant dip but will sprinkle the plant success in the planting holes. Ami
Ami, thanks for the response! I'm happy to know that the company is a good one. This is my first year dealing with mycos of any kind. At some point I may give the MycoGrow a shot. I called the company and they sent me some info through email. I'm hoping that the mycos and beneficial bacteria help in my garden as much as they have helped others..

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote