Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default Asian Eggplant

I am growing five different varieties this year of Asian eggplants. From the descriptions I have, looks like most are small and all but one are eaten when they are green except one that you eat before it turns yellow. That one I have no idea what the first color is.

Anybody else grown any Asian type eggplants? I've grown Black Beauty, a pink type and a white. I have never seen where you eat a green colored eggplant before. How do the Asian eggplants taste compared say Black Beauty, which is my favorite.

Also, do the Asian plants get flea beetles bad too?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,187
Default

I grew Ping Tung Long last year. I liked it. I wish that they didn't turn brown when cooked on a grill. They come off the grill looking like bratwurst.

This year I have a Thai Green, a round Thai purple, and "hairy eggplant."
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #3
Scooty
Tomatovillian™
 
Scooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago-land & SO-cal
Posts: 382
Default

In general, asian eggplants have thinner skin, less seedy, milder taste even when mature. I'd probably also argue they have a higher water content. They have less dense flesh and usually have more give or shrinkage when cooked, but the end result is usually more creamy texture.

Besides Ping Tung, Ma-Zu I really liked some of the japanese eggplants kamo and mitoyo.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default

One of the ones I have is S. ferox, the Hairy-fruited eggplant. The description that came with mine is a small fruit, the "hair" is similar to a kiwi fruit and is brushed off before cooking; harvest fruit before the color turns yellow.

Is that one of the same ones you have Cole?

Here is the descriptions I have on my other ones. Any sound familiar to you?

#28 medium size, pick fruit when about 1 1/2", light green in color, with some green striping, shape is a flattened round shape.

#00 Solanum melonga L. - Ma Khuea Khao, light green, harvest before fruits are 8" long, about 80 days from seed to harvest.

#27 - Slightly egg-shaped, pick fruit when light green in color, size can be larger than an egg and smaller than a coconut but tastes best when small.

#3 - 'normal size' small, round shape, bigger than a pea and smaller than a plum, harvest when light green in color.

Grilled bratwurst with spicy mustard. Yum! : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
In general, asian eggplants have thinner skin, less seedy, milder taste even when mature. I'd probably also argue they have a higher water content. They have less dense flesh and usually have more give or shrinkage when cooked, but the end result is usually more creamy texture.

Besides Ping Tung, Ma-Zu I really liked some of the japanese eggplants kamo and mitoyo.
Scooty... Is there alot of difference between the eggplants from Thailand and Japanese?

With some of the ones I got saying they are pea to plum size, it doesn't sound like they would easily make eggplant parmesan. So how do folks eat these?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 12,079
Default

I am attempting to grow Ping Tung this year. Attempting = I had three plants growing in 2" containers until our cat squashed one yesterday... 2 plants left.

I want to buy some eggplant transplants locally. It has been so long since we ate eggplant grown in a home garden - I forget what it tastes like.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #7
Scooty
Tomatovillian™
 
Scooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago-land & SO-cal
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Scooty... Is there alot of difference between the eggplants from Thailand and Japanese?

With some of the ones I got saying they are pea to plum size, it doesn't sound like they would easily make eggplant parmesan. So how do folks eat these?
I dunno about a difference in yield or taste between Thai or Japanese eggplants. I haven't grown the grown the first. I vaguely recall eating a Thai green eggplant when I was traveling once, but I'm not huge on eggplants to begin with, so I can't really remember enough to compare it. Though, I can say that the difference between the long thin chinese and japanese eggplants varieties is very subtle.

As far as using them, Kamo is probably half the size of something like Black Beauty. Due to availability, I've know of expats subbing in asian eggplants over those traditionally used in the mediterranean, and usually, they simply use more of them size fruit size is smaller. On the other hand, some people actually choose to use japanese eggplants over italian vars for their eggplant parmesan because they're looking for a creamer texture or milder taste. So it all depends.

Last edited by Scooty; March 12, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am attempting to grow Ping Tung this year. Attempting = I had three plants growing in 2" containers until our cat squashed one yesterday... 2 plants left.

I want to buy some eggplant transplants locally. It has been so long since we ate eggplant grown in a home garden - I forget what it tastes like.
Bad kitty. Do the leaves on your Ping Tung have any kind of smell that your kitty thinks it is like catnip plants?

I didn't put out any eggplants last year here. The year before I had the flea beetles so bad. I'd kill eggs off every leaf and come back a few hours later to find the nasty critters had laid double the egg amounts again. Other than hand squishing, I couldn't find anything to get rid of them.

I am thinking about netting the plants this year from the start, once they go outside and just raise the netting up as need be and hand pollinating.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,187
Default

Yeah, that's it, Starlight, same one.

Speaking of eggplant, I haven't had Rosa Bianca yet. I want to try that one. I am also tempted to order the mix of mini-eggplants that Johnny's sells: Hansel, Gretel, and Fairy Tale.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,187
Default

Sevin kills flea beetles. I try not to use it, but flea beetles on eggplant are the most compelling case I have seen for Sevin being necessary.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 12,079
Default

The cats were playing. The eggplants are now outside on a table. There's no room for cats to jump up on the table or on them, so unless a buzzard lands on them - they should be okay. We do have a tower on the property that buzzards think of as their breeding grounds, so...
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
I dunno about a difference in yield or taste between Thai or Japanese eggplants. I haven't grown the grown the first. I vaguely recall eating a Thai green eggplant when I was traveling once, but I'm not huge on eggplants to begin with, so I can't really remember enough to compare it. Though, I can say that the difference between the long thin chinese and japanese eggplants varieties is very subtle.

As far as using them, Kamo is probably half the size of something like Black Beauty. Due to availability, I've know of expats subbing in asian eggplants over those traditionally used in the mediterranean, and usually, they simply use more of them size fruit size is smaller. On the other hand, some people actually choose to use japanese eggplants over italian vars for their eggplant parmesan because they're looking for a creamer texture or milder taste. So it all depends.
I appreciate the information. I may get some Kamo seeds. Add some culture to the garden. I had read on some other TV threads where folks said they liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yeah, that's it, Starlight, same one.

Speaking of eggplant, I haven't had Rosa Bianca yet. I want to try that one. I am also tempted to order the mix of mini-eggplants that Johnny's sells: Hansel, Gretel, and Fairy Tale.
I have had Fairy Tale before. That was my first taste of one other than Black Beauty. The neighbor grew them. I thought it was really bitter, but since neither of us knew to pick them, it was probably our fault we didn't care for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Sevin kills flea beetles. I try not to use it, but flea beetles on eggplant are the most compelling case I have seen for Sevin being necessary.
I guess I better pick me up some while it is still available. Did you #5 or #10. I don't like chems on food plants if at all possible, but I can't spend all day, everyday trying to hand kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The cats were playing. The eggplants are now outside on a table. There's no room for cats to jump up on the table or on them, so unless a buzzard lands on them - they should be okay. We do have a tower on the property that buzzards think of as their breeding grounds, so...
Keep an eye on the backside of your leaves. Check each leaf. Even small seedlings will get flea beetles if you have them TX. If you see clusters of yellow eggs, squish em!

I do have some extra seeds of all the above if anybody wants some, just pm me.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #13
Scooty
Tomatovillian™
 
Scooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago-land & SO-cal
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I appreciate the information. I may get some Kamo seeds. Add some culture to the garden. I had read on some other TV threads where folks said they liked it.
Again, I'm really not a huge fan of eggplant, so my taste may vary from yours. However, if you're going to pick a japanese eggplant, I'd probably recommend mitoyo and kamo in that order. To me, Mitoyo is sweeter and with less "richness". It grows out to roughly the size of a navel orange or maybe a small red star grapefruit.

Oh I should add, if you cook eggplant Parmesan with asian eggplant instead of some traditional med variety, the end result is not something everyone is going to like. Expats usually have to mod their recipes to try to imitate original consistency. less dense eggplant + lots of sauce = a mushier dish. Of course not everyone likes a lot of sauce.... I think this is why a lot of faux steak dishes that use eggplants use mediterranean varieties when they grill, since they keep shape and don't shrink much.

Last edited by Scooty; March 12, 2016 at 11:51 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Again, I'm really not a huge fan of eggplant, so my taste may vary from yours. However, if you're going to pick a japanese eggplant, I'd probably recommend mitoyo and kamo in that order. To me, Mitoyo is sweeter and with less "richness". It grows out to roughly the size of a navel orange or maybe a small red star grapefruit.
Thank you for the advice. I have got to quit watching all these international cooking shows. Makes me want to try and grow some of the stuff I see them cooking with. I googled Mitoyo . It does look to be a good one to try.

Cole.... While I was googling for Mitoyo, I noticed Baker Creek said that Hansel attracted the most bugs. You may want to re-think that one.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #15
Scooty
Tomatovillian™
 
Scooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago-land & SO-cal
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Thank you for the advice. I have got to quit watching all these international cooking shows. Makes me want to try and grow some of the stuff I see them cooking with. I googled Mitoyo . It does look to be a good one to try.

Cole.... While I was googling for Mitoyo, I noticed Baker Creek said that Hansel attracted the most bugs. You may want to re-think that one.
I remember eating a japanese version of eggplant parmasean. It was using a japanese eggplant but they went quite light on the sauce. Tasted fine to me. Eggplant was super soft, even with skin on; thickcut you don't need a knife, but you barely taste the eggplant though. The slightly bitter/mature taste on some of the med varieties is something a lot of people like I think in heavier dishes.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★