Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2006   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Brix percentages in tomatoes

I found this site and near the bottom of the page they compare the brix of some tomatoes.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/garden.htm

I think this is interesting. Just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere else where they did tests on the brix content of tomatoes?

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Jim,

Since once again you've repeated the same question at two places, LOL, I don't feel like repeating and repeating what I've already said, so why don't you cut and paste my answer from GW here, or I can do it later today after i get back from a medical appt since I have to go between AOL and IE to get here and so it's a bit of a bother, actually.

Rather than double posting, 'bc perhaps you don't realize it, but the majority of us here came to Tville FROM GW after Mischka started it in late January, and while some still do post at both places, you're unlikely to get much more by posting the identical threads at the two places.

It's just how I feel about it, being one of many who does post at both places and doesn't like typing the same thing twice or cutting and pasting, etc.

I think most folks have decided on which place the prefer to do most of their threads and I think that works out best for most. So take a look at the threads at GW and compare themn with the threads here and you'll see little overlap, yet see the same folks posting threds at both places. Some changed their user names when they came here, but msot didn't.

And yes, as you know from what I wrote to you at GW I have some pretty strong comments to make about BRIX measurements and their possible usefulness for home growers, or not.
Old April 7, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

What is up with that avatar
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #4
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Scary Avatar

I like the Avatar, at least I did until I started thinking it was watching me.

I am a man,
but I can change,
if I have to....

I guess.
mms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2006   #5
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I believe posting in both places is just a way to cover all the bases and also to feel out the waters here on Tomatoville as to the quality of responses in a topic one is interested in. This one now seems to be pretty much DOA (dead on arrival) which to me is disappointing as I agree with Jim and find brix measurements and possible use by the homeowner to make very interesting reading. I know you think it has no application whatsoever to the homeowner and I like that a stimulating discussion (both pro and con) may have occurred (but did not).

If double posts are made and you only want to answer them once why not answer them here so more stimulating and varied threads are started on Tomatoville. For instance there is an interesting thread on GW about what people are experimenting with to improve tomato growth, yield, control of disease etc. I had thought about seeing if something like that would 'go over well' here but the forum has to be welcoming and condusive to such a post. I see a few more double posts have been made--I would encourage them not discourage them. I really would like to visit just one tomato site with the most stimulating and educational threads. i have been going to both sites and don't really have the time or desire to do so if I had my druthers.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2006   #6
Emaewest
Tomatovillian™

I really don't go to GW at all any more, so if someone is only going to post in one place, I hope it's here!

"Some people have a way with words, and other people... not have way." ---Steve Martin
Emaewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2006   #7
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I think it is great to post in both places and get opinions of different people. I really enjoyed reading the different tests on that link!
Old April 8, 2006   #8
geol
Tomatovillian™

I myself jump from sight to sight, and although many times there are the same topics revisited, I find the ensueing coversations often take varying directions and seldom produce the same links and leads. Whether there is some overlap or not, being new to many aspects of gardening, I always appreiciate a "different take" on a given subject. Being new to the forums as well, I'm unfamilliar with some of the silent etiquette, as I once drew comments for posting a link to that "other forum". Thought that's why they're called links. Curious as to others thoughts about "sight jumpers".
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2006   #9
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I like to go from site to site - different posters = different responses. And although there seems to be some "politics" involved , I do like the way you can search archived topics at GW.
Old April 8, 2006   #10
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Double Dipping

Myself I still visit GW because I read about many other plants besides Tomatoes. But I always visit the Tomato forum as well. I also go to other gardening sites as well but not as often.

If you want to post the same thoughts or ideas at both sites I see nothing wrong with it but you will probably get the same info at both places as the people who would be most qualified to answer a question about something like brix (a completely new term for me) still visit both places. Granted there are people who only visit one site or the other, but if you are looking for information or an answer to a question you can obviously accomplish that by posting at only one.

MMS

I am a man,
but I can change,
if I have to....

I guess.
mms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2006   #11
uno
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn

I'm on some smaller boards that are not gardening related and there is fewer people on them. I post the same thing on many different boards and it helps keep them going. When people have time and want to see what is being talked about they get some fresh stuff to read. If they respond to it and go to a different board and see the same post they just bypass it or just read and not reply. I wouldn't expect you to reply twice on two different boards if you didn't feel like it.

Some people will only be members of on board or the other or only read one or the other.

I like hearing all the different opinions and I'm not easily offended so I like reading what people have to say.

I know what you mean about brix it can vary a lot depending on many factors but I think it's kind of neat because it is an actual measurment.

I don't consider it the last word on taste but just something to read about.

Jim
Old April 9, 2006   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't expect you to reply twice on two different boards if you didn't feel like it.

Thank you for understanding Jim, but it's not just a matter of feeling or not feeling like it.

My major problem with double and even triple postings that I've experienced since I've been posting about vegetables and fruits online since about 1990 is that you may have one thread where there's a line of thought and give and take and everything proceeds in a linear sequence b'c folks are responding to posts within that thread. And that's good.

But then when the person repeats the thread elsewhere you've no doubt got some of the same persons posting, as occurs between GW and T ville, and to some extent DG, and then the thread gets to be mixed, in a way, since if someone cuts and pastes a post from one to the other, it's out of sync with the rest.

So to me it isn't just new info that may be acquired, b'c if you look now at the repeat threads you'll see that pretty much the same info was given in both. And that's pretty much the same pattern I've seen over the years when repeat threads are posted at message sites which deal with similar topics.

And maybe I just shouldn't have said anything at all, and kept my fingers silent, which I'll try to do in the future.
Old April 9, 2006   #13
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible
... I do like the way you can search archived topics at GW.
You can also search this entire site using the "search" button located at the top of every page. :wink:

Geol, as for posting links here that connect to GW...well, let's just say that I'm no longer a fan of GW since they've banned me recently for posting a link to here and offering folks a chance to join us.

Am I going to ban anyone here for posting links to GW? Absolutely not. :wink:

Will I remove links that lead to GW?
I'll be honest, I might...if I'm in a bad mood. I prefer not to promote GW but if the linked information is in the best interest to Tomatovillians, I'll likely leave the link intact. :wink:

Think of it this way: GW is backed by the multi-billion dollar juggernaut General Electric...links are like free advertising. I'd hate to spend my own personal money operating this ad-free site and have them benefit by the slightest chance of driving additional revenue in their direction.

My apologies for roaming so far off topic.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2006   #14
uno
Tomatovillian™

I like this search feature better than Gw. I couldn't get that one to pull up anything precise.

I also get very annoyed with thier ads over there. I have one that floats down out of nowhere right in front of where I'm reading.....wow is that annoying!

I won't buy your product just because you advertise that way!

Also on GW someone deleted one of my posts??

Oh well.

Jim