Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 21, 2009   #1
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Default What medium?

Hi all! I have decided to give my garden a couple/three years off. I have planted tomatoes in the same area for 11 years and the last few, even with amendments have been less than stellar. After having great success last year with grow bags I am expanding to 54 twelve gallon grow bags for my 'maters. I really like Miracle Grow potting mix, but certainly can't afford that. What medium would you recommend for good results without mortgaging the house? I thought about having a few yards of compost delivering and maybe mix with some cheaper potting soil and MG as an amendment. What do you think?

Duane

Last edited by Dukerdawg; April 21, 2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Dukerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Duane-I am using a compost/crushed pecan shells/bark fines that so far has been great. Can you get cheap compost? You could also use 50% compost, 25% vermiculite and 25% perlite. I got the idea for this year from spud.
Old April 22, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

Where can you find/buy the "compost/crushed pecan shells/bark fines"? Under what brand/name?

I'd like to know, I've been looking for something like that.

~* Robin
Old April 22, 2009   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Robin-I get it by the cubic yard from a nursery here in El Paso-sorry, I should have said that-what I was trying to say is maybe Duane can get some local compost or container mix that is much cheaper than a commercial potting mix that you have to buy 100 bags of the stuff with the attendant problem of recycling the plastic etc.
Old April 22, 2009   #5
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I get a commercial potting mix from a nursery ...It is the same mix they put there plants in...I then buy cheap compost and and mix about 60/40...some get a little tomato tone mixed in early on, before I am out...This has given me very good results the last few years...
I have little soil borne disease and often reuse my tomato soil for peppers the next year...No problems yet...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2009   #6
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

duane,

have you tried contacting some local green houses or nurseries, like english garden, or bordines for prices on mix. maybe you can get a bulk price for what you need. we used to love going to those places. i got a big bag of vermiculite from i think bordines years ago when i was going to make my own planting mix, but then i got lazy. still have most of it at the farm in calumet. wasn't too expensive 12 or so years ago.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2009   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Duanne, if you can afford the compost delivered deal, that might be a good way to go. What kind of compost are you talking about. Manure? Mushroom? Leaves?

It would help us recommend supplements if we knew the composition of the compost.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2009   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

I have a local Farmer who said I can come over to his place (call first) and pick up any variety of manure I want. ((FREE)) That's a plus as he has very many kinds! Sheep, cow, horse, chickens... etc. Of course it comes with a small amount of debris like straw, wood chips and the like. But he keeps them sorted in different bins outside his barn. Would Donkey or Llama poo do good too?
I'm gonna get the chicken poo for now.

I'll see if I can pick up some commercial potting mix from a local nursery.

I never have a problem of recycling the plastic bags that soil comes in .... most times I jab holes in the bottom and grow in them till they start falling apart.

Thanks,
~* Robin
Old April 22, 2009   #9
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I'm using a mix thats relatively inexpensive and is ideal for containers. I found this recipe on GW by A1, its 5 parts pine bark fines, 1 part peat and 1 part perlite, pretty inexpensive. I get good water retention, drainage and the mix is gritty enough where you get good aeration too. Of course you have to lime the mix at 1 tablespoon per 1-2 gallons of mix and also add your choice of ferts.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2009   #10
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

All these mixes sound good, but are not consistent in the praticality of finding the mixes etc. I appreciate the responses but find most of the ideas and mix quotients' rather vague.

Duane
Old April 22, 2009   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Duane,
If you go with a cheap potting mix, I'd probably add in some perlite to fluff it up. Usually the cheaper stuff is pretty heavy.
When I was potting up my perennials, I used some topsoil I had out in my pile, added in some perlite, and some MG potting mix. I just mixed it until it felt light and fluffy. The flowers are thriving. I did have a few weeds, but they were easily pulled out.
The bagged mix I buy for my tomato pot on my deck is very light, basically feels like seed starting mix.
Old April 22, 2009   #12
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Duane, would this help you?

Potting Soil Recipes and Soil Reconditioning

~* Robin
Old April 24, 2009   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

Since money is an issue, there is always the Papa Vic
method that he used to create his raised beds: fill a
burlap sack with horse manure, lay them out end to
end, cut a cross in the top, plant a transplant in it.
He said he added a little "water soluble fertilizer"
at mid-season. (After they were all pulled, he built
sides around the row of bags and piled leaves and
grass clippings in on top to make his raised beds.)

So, in theory, you could just fill your grow bags with
horse manure, and give them some extra fertilizer
with plenty of potassium in it when they start to set
fruit. I would mix in a cup of kelp meal per bag
when filling them for a micro trace element supplement,
too.

(I assume that the more composted the horse manure,
the better, and that llama, alpaca, or rabbit manure
would be usable alternatives.)

You can probably get horse manure for the cost of
transporting it (like fill up a pickup bed). If you search
the free section in the nearest Craig's List to your
location for "manure", you will doubtless find several
places giving it away.
Old April 24, 2009   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Any luck finding Pro-Mix?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2009   #15
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Duane, I have the same problem. I have been using miracle grow moisture control soil in our pots for the past few years but the cost is prohibitive. So I too am looking for a cheapere combo for my tomato plants. One person in the neighborhood who gets great beefsteaks in pots, told me he uses this formula: Dri manure, ultra light top soil sold at Home depot, tomato fertilizer and some miracle grow moisture control mixed in.

I am however going to try to use some of the other mixtures that other members have recommended and see if they work here

also, Home Depot is having sales on soils. check them out

Elliot from New York
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote