Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 19, 2015   #61
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
It’s very difficult to track down the origins of huevos de toros / couilles de taureau the deeper one digs the murkier it gets.

The variety found in the USA – at least one of them - followed a known path : in the 30’s a Spanish refugee near Bordeaux gave seeds to Roland, a well-known French tomato fan, and said they looked like huevos de toro but never added they were huevos de toros. French fans still make the distinction. Roland sent seeds to Dr Reinhard in Germany, who sent some to Carolyn in the US. Of course there may be other sources.

In Spain the owner of the site http://www.huevodetoro.com/near tne town of Jaen insists he is the sole seller of the genuine variety. He refuses to sell seeds but the tomatoes he sells at outrageous prices have some.
Obviously they are not the only source. It's not a rare variety in the area.

Quote:
Tomatovilians who read Spanish may have a look at
Quote:
http://www.suhuertoencasa.com/plantel-d ... -toro.html
or see Victoria Abril a well-known actress in Spain at http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2013/08/1 ... 80425.html.
. A lady of Spanish origin living in France recently went to Jaen and will tell me if she has been able to find some seeds.

Now let me ask MrBig46 to help me.
Another Spanish refugee near Toulouse brought his own seeds that were so successful that were kept from generation to generation.. I was given seeds,. I named that tomato Dominico in memory of the man who brought them, of course not an official name. The plant is more than 6 feet tall, extremely productive, gives big red tomatoes. If MrBig or anyone one else can identify them from the pictures information will be welcomed.

I add two pictures of tomatoes grown from the seeds Roland sent me. I call them Cdt Roland which can be understood in French as Commander Roland of course without the vulgarity of CDT which definitely can’t be used in a restaurant or on a market-place if children are present !
Without knowing were the man came from it's going to be almost impossible to identify. My estimates on Spanish varieties left are in the 3-5000 range, so it starts to get a bit tricky.

Last edited by ilex; September 19, 2015 at 07:22 PM.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015   #62
ilex
Tomatovillian™

"Bola productivo" means "productive ball", so round and productive. Sounds familiar but can't find anything else.
Old September 19, 2015   #63
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
Conchita knows more about Huevos de Toro than I do.

I've seen a few under that name, an oxheart, a big beefsteak, a quite bland tasting one I grew once, and the one below. And of course, the one that came from Spain via France. Maybe one or two more but that's not very clear in my mind right now.

This is my lucky day, not just b'c I found those reports sent to me about CdT but b'c I remembered that Conchita, aka Conchi, had visited and posted here at Tville and here's that thread:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34188

Carolyn
Old September 20, 2015   #64
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I must say I'm quite surprised by the color or the huevos de toro shown above. Are they really orange or is it a trick of the camera?
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #65
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I must say I'm quite surprised by the color or the huevos de toro shown above. Are they really orange or is it a trick of the camera?
Why wouldn't they be orange and some of them look egg (Huevos) shaped to me.

I was so glad to find the thread where Conchi posted since Ilex had deffered to her when it came to the various ones all called Huevos. Did you read that link above where she said there were many Huevos ones from different regions of Spain and Ilex had noted the same several years ago when he did a few posts here. Conchi talked about beefsteak and heart ones as well, as I recall. So not all are egg shaped and not all are the same color.

Why they were all called Huevos I don't know but the red Huevos that made it's way to france certainly was a beefsteak and not egg shaped.

Which is why sometime I really should contact Tania b'c when listing CdT she had said that the original name of Huevos de Toro should be used, but back then she didn't know that there were more Huevos ones that were known and not all red.

Carolyn
Old September 20, 2015   #66
ilex
Tomatovillian™

They might be a little more yellowish. In any case, the color of all the tomatoes I took that day look ok, so it must be quite close. I'll try to get seed snd grow it myself.

The name "huevos de toro" probably comes more from the size than from the shape.
Old September 21, 2015   #67
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Moruno
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0031.JPG (56.3 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0021.JPG (37.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0044.JPG (28.6 KB, 239 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #68
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Valencia
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0050.JPG (60.8 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0009.JPG (30.0 KB, 240 views)
Old September 21, 2015   #69
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I saw your picture I said yours must be from Valencia in Spain, but there's also a Valencia known that came from a very different source.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Valencia

Carolyn, who did visit the Spanish Valentia when she took that three week trip to Spain and Portugal and Morocco. Wonderful trip it was.
Old September 22, 2015   #70
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
you're right. This is not a Spanish tomato. Seeds I got from one Czech growers and neither for a moment I doubted that this is a Spanish tomato. The name Valencia. My fault
Vladimír
PS.: In Spain I have never been and probably never will
Old September 22, 2015   #71
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Very nice tomatoes. Thank you for the reply.

How much longer does your tomato season go on? We had our first light frost last Saturday. All my tomatoes from the garden and greenhouse are done for the season. I just have a few that I picked green that are ripening up in my GH.

Ginny
Ginny,
My season starts May 15 (last frost), and usually ends with cold and wet weather in October. The first frost is usually in mid-October, but sometimes at the very beginning. Last season ended for me on September 1 (high humidity), this year it seems on October 1 (today will still be 20 ° C and dry). From 28.9. a rain.
Vladimír
Old September 22, 2015   #72
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Carolyn,
you're right. This is not a Spanish tomato. Seeds I got from one Czech growers and neither for a moment I doubted that this is a Spanish tomato. The name Valencia. My fault
Vladimír
PS.: In Spain I have never been and probably never will
So it was named by you Valencia or had another name or the person you got it from gave you seeds for the other Valencia I linked to?

Now look, you are in good health or you wouldn't be growing all that you do and you'll never know if you might find yourself in Spain sometime.

But you CAN get a taste of Spain from all the wonderful ones you are growing.

Carolyn
Old September 24, 2015   #73
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It is a disappointment for me that Valencia is not the Spanish tomato. Are there some Spanish orange tomato?
Vladimír
Old September 24, 2015   #74
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
It is a disappointment for me that Valencia is not the Spanish tomato. Are there some Spanish orange tomato?
Vladimír
I can't remember any with orange flesh. There are some with orange shoulders. Any other color? yes.
Old September 27, 2015   #75
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Morado Ambite det.
Late determinant variety with regular leaves, plant low of about two feet, fruits red beefsteaks, big 250- 350 g, twelve of these large fruits on the bush. Taste very good, but due to the has already autumn weather (a little sunshine) I need to let ripen at home. For me, the most profitable determinant variety.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0025.JPG (58.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0005.JPG (37.5 KB, 208 views)