Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old June 14, 2022   #1
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Default I need Oklahoma Heirloom Tomato and Vegetable Seeds

I am so impressed with Oklahoma and Texas Women's Softball Teams and all the successful Native Americans attending the 2022 Women's College World Series.. I was very impressed by the Spirit of the Parents. Especially the Parents coming in from Hawaii. Native Americans have taught me so much over the years, especially the Hawaiians in 2016: even learning how to use my own dance skills to relax Amen!!!

I have Heirloom from Hawaii and Texas: I don't have any from Oklahoma.

Please help me find Heirloom Tomatoes and Vegetables from Oklahoma.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2022   #2
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Carl L. Barnes was a half-Cherokee man from Oklahoma who dedicated his later life to isolating and preserving Native American corn varieties. Some of his corn was the source for what eventually became "Glass Gem" corn. You can find lots of articles about him on the web.

Dr. John Wyche, of "Dr. Wyche's Yellow" tomato fame, lived in Hugo, Oklahoma. In addition to that tomato, he also saved and made available seeds for:
Cherokee Trail of Tears bean
Cherokee Long Pod okra
Cherokee Blue mustard
Cherokee Squaw corn (apologies for "squaw" but that's what it's called)
Dr. Wyche's tomatillo
Ruby King bell pepper
Some of these weren't necessarily developed in Oklahoma, though (the Trail of Tears bean, for example, supposedly was brought from the Smoky Mountains to Oklahoma).
See this discussion of Dr. Wyche varieties here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/19...beans-tomatoes

Ron Rhyne of "Ron's Carbon Copy" fame is from Muskogee, OK, so that tomato and any other varieties he developed would be Oklahoma tomatoes, I guess.

Darrell Merrell of Tulsa, OK called himself "The Tomato Man" and seems to have developed some tomato varieties, including "Yellow Sweet 100." His daughter has the website www.tomatomansdaughter.com. Other tomatoes that seem to have been developed by Oklahomans in recent years include "Debbie's Paste," "Johnny Jo's," and "Fred's Cherokee Cross."

The heirloom "County Agent" tomato got its name because it was made available to the American public by an Oklahoma county agent, but he obtained the seed for it from Germany.

I don't personally have seeds for any of these; just hoping this might help you find what you're looking for.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2022   #3
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

VirginiaClay May God Bless You for all this needed information. My soul is still excited seeing that Native Americans Female from both team, Parents soul filled with Joy as they Precious children is becoming "Pure Heroes" of Native Americans Dreams of becoming a part of the "American Melting Pot Theory. These Parents Traveled far, and I cried when they gave the Parents the Softball from the Players. I was amazed of the Oklahoma Spirit I witness as I traveled with my husband to collect their Farming Secrets. Seeing real Buffaloes for the first time in my Life, and wanting to bring them back to Virginia. I wanted to tell our Senator Mark Warner they know his Heart. They also loved The Late John Mccain. They just love everyone, and the Visitors to their State, Amen!!.

They also gave up the Softballs they caught to go the the Family Members, too.
That was so nice.

I am glad I have "Glass Gem" Corn, Amem!! Corn. I also have Dr. John Wyche, of "Dr. Wyche's Yellow" tomato fame, an will update him living in Hugo, Oklahoma in my listing.

Thank you again, Virginia Clay, I cannot travel with my husband anymore, because we have 6 year old school Age baby.
Old June 22, 2022   #4
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Joyce, I have an addition to the post above, but first the OK/Texas softball games are the pinnacle to high energy sportsmanship IMO. If you don't watch softball because of lack of 'action' then check these two teams out. WTS, I grow County Agent every year for seedling sales. If I didn't I'd be in trouble, as many that grow this beefsteak get above average yields of 10 oz. to 14 oz. meaty 8 out of 10 blt worthy tomatoes. An heirloom from Oklahoma in which a county agent inspected an abandoned farm property and found tomato plants growing. Fruits were harvested and seeds saved and distributed and though I haven't grown County Agent myself for a while, it is a good one.

Last edited by simmran1; June 22, 2022 at 02:35 AM. Reason: photo added
simmran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2022   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

On This Historic Day That a Native American Lady will appear on our United State Currency, I have found "County Agent Heirloom Tomatoes" as a Native Tomato grown in the Wonderful State of Oklahoma. In my Notes of living in the State of Oklahoma " I was surprised that the Good Regular People of Oklahoma took me to the Native Americans Tribes as I was looking for Farming Secrets taught to my people for survive. As a Visitor I and my husband received respect and Love from everyone. "Everyone Amen". They are very Proud of their Native Americans, with Farming Secrets shared openly. The same type of Love; as Oklahoma Citizens Catching these Famous SoftBalls, freely giving them up to the Parent and Family Members who travel so far to see their Children Play this Historic Games. I know the Citizens gave the Parent from Hawaii the same Love they gave me and my husband. I know that Tears flowed as they hugged other Native Americans. Please sent me some of your Seeds, and I will send you funds back, Amen!!!

I am learning about Farm funding to fully Establish My Farms together.