Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 6, 2018   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Car problems today - may take the money away from buying seeds. I won't know until tomorrow when we take the car to our mechanic. I'm thinking it's the heater core.

We have a lot of saved pepper seeds from 2014 and 2016. The 2015 year was way to wet to grow peppers - I didn't save seeds that year. They are not in alphabetical order, and they are not mild or no heat varieties. These may also be crosses. I have had success starting/growing peppers from 2007 in 2016, so I know it can happen. The first 7 on the list were grown from 2007 seeds that Worth sent me.

Varieties we have:

Filus Blue
Mambo
Marbles
Maui Purple
Masquerade
Riot
Royal Black
Tabasco (My av picture - actually the seeds are from those peppers pictured.)
Ornamental Thai Chili
Aji Amarillo
Anaheim
Bajio
Bishop's Crown
Brazilian Starfish
Leutschauer
Mosco Chili
Pueblo

When grown just for me and Jan, I liked growing good tasting ornamental looking peppers. We have around 200 days from transplant to frost/freeze, so for us, peppers are very colorful and edible. That is why I put Alma Paprika and Pretty N Sweet on my list.

greenthumbomaha, Lisa, I replied to your PM right before I knew about the car problems.

Everyone, the seeds I saved are available for trade or I could send you some SASE, but they could be crosses. I grew them in raised beds for their beauty. I grew it more like a you would grow a flowerbed.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 6, 2018 at 01:34 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2018   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It wasn't the heater core. It's the water pump going out. Water Pump Timing kit + antifreeze $200.00 Mechanic $350.00 = $550.00.
Old December 6, 2018   #18
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Well that stinks that the labor is so high. Where I work the salary for the PCA/CNA'/bath aids is just over $10, and they work really hard and have tons of responsibility!!! No benefits either, except for management and a few select others that have been there many years . How many hours is that labor?

I've got the following smallish fruited peppers which I will post here so others may also be able to help:

Fort Knox - Burpee
Alma Paprika - Seed Savers
Jimmy Nardello - Seed Savers + seed library
Mini Chocolate Bell= Seed Savers

Round of Hungary - Johnny's

I have your address from the Numex peppers that you sent me in 2015.

If your local grocery has an in store bakery, washed 3 gal frosting buckets make fabulous food grade planters for peppers. Mine cost $1 but they are in high demand from other customers. Now is a good time of year to find them with all the holiday baked goods they are selling. You can make a bucket garden, preferably fenced, away from sight.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's a most of the day tedious job on a 2003 PT Cruiser for a professional mechanic.
In comparison, our younger son and I replaced the water pump and thermostat on his 2000 Silverado truck a few weeks ago. It took us two hours because we were learning. Now that we have done it - we could do it again within an hour because it is easy to get to.

Even though they are both changing out a water pump - the engines and difficulty level are way different. $350.00 for the PT cruiser job is actually cheap. https://repairpal.com/estimator/chry...placement-cost

Sorry everyone, when your only car needs important repairs - it can get in the way of gardening. We will figure it out - we always have.
Old December 7, 2018   #20
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

We have a 04 P T Cruiser just had the water pump replaced on it payed a little over $ 700 so yes you are getting away cheap. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Well that stinks that the labor is so high. Where I work the salary for the PCA/CNA'/bath aids is just over $10, and they work really hard and have tons of responsibility!!! No benefits either, except for management and a few select others that have been there many years . How many hours is that labor?

I've got the following smallish fruited peppers which I will post here so others may also be able to help:

Fort Knox - Burpee
Alma Paprika - Seed Savers
Jimmy Nardello - Seed Savers + seed library
Mini Chocolate Bell= Seed Savers

Round of Hungary - Johnny's

I have your address from the Numex peppers that you sent me in 2015.

If your local grocery has an in store bakery, washed 3 gal frosting buckets make fabulous food grade planters for peppers. Mine cost $1 but they are in high demand from other customers. Now is a good time of year to find them with all the holiday baked goods they are selling. You can make a bucket garden, preferably fenced, away from sight.

- Lisa
Last night, I only replied about the car part of your post. It was a very busy day of going to the mechanic/parts store/bank/loan place/bank/loan place/parts store/mechanic/...

Today is a new day, so I started looking up Fort Knox peppers. Getting info on that variety is like figuring out how to get gold out of Fort Knox So far, I've found that it is a golden yellow bell pepper. The Burpee site no longer lists it.
Old December 7, 2018   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I went through all of my pepper seeds and found some that I forgot about in a sandwich bag. The results shortened my list to buy.

Alma Paprika
Candy Cane Red Hybrid
Fooled You Jalapeno Hybrid
Pretty N Sweet Hybrid

I would like to try the Alma Paprika to compare it to the NuMex Garnet Paprika that I have.
I have Jimi Nardello seeds which were on my list.
Red Cherry takes the place of the Cherry Pick F1 that was on my list.
I do have Fooled You Jalapeno F2 from the MMMM, but I would still like to get Fooled You Jalapeno F1 to compare them.

I'm hoping the Fooled You Jalapeno F2 seeds are viable. They are from 2013. I keep meaning to write that I have read on one site that that Tricked You is an improved version of Fooled You. I have also read on other sites that they are the same variety going by either name. It isn't the first time I've seen that. Sort of like Ancho is actually the dried form of a Poblano pepper.

Candy Cane Red Hybrid may be dropped from my list because I found Pinot Noir F1 seeds in that sandwich bag. We have grown Pinot Noir and they taste as good as they look. Here's a picture/site. https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/pe...rod000841.html
Old December 7, 2018   #23
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I have the baker creek whole seed catalog for 2019. In it they list a heatless jalapeno. it's called a nadapeno. I grow tam jalapenos that are milder than the standard jalapeno varieties. My family enjoys them and they do o.k. for this part of the south. I'd like some of your mambo, marbles, and maui purple peppers. could I send you some tam jalapenos in trade?
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Salt, I have the baker creek whole seed catalog for 2019. In it they list a heatless jalapeno. it's called a nadapeno. I grow tam jalapenos that are milder than the standard jalapeno varieties. My family enjoys them and they do o.k. for this part of the south. I'd like some of your mambo, marbles, and maui purple peppers. could I send you some tam jalapenos in trade?
I have plenty of those seeds to send to you. The TAM Jalapeno was developed at Texas A&M - hence the name. Here they grow to be just as hot as type M Jalapenos. I have TAM seeds. PM me your mailing info or send me a SASE - either way works for me.

Nadapeno what a good name. https://www.rareseeds.com/nadape-o-pepper-/
Old December 8, 2018   #25
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Salt I ordered the Nadapeno. If you want a few seeds let me know.
I've grown Fooled you jalapeño, but it's been such a long time, I don't
remember the flavor..I think my sister liked them.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2018   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Salt I ordered the Nadapeno. If you want a few seeds let me know.
I've grown Fooled you jalapeño, but it's been such a long time, I don't
remember the flavor..I think my sister liked them.
If you are interested we could trade some seeds. I will be ordering the Fooled You seeds very soon. I could send you some seeds to help you remember their flavor.

Thinking about that - Cubanelle is a variety that I have seeds for. I grew them in 2016, and I don't remember what they tasted like. But I also grew around 30 other pepper varieties that year.
Old December 9, 2018   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

After two cold almost constant rainy days, I have researched peppers to grow in 2019. As I've already written, none of these varieties are as hot as grocery store Jalapenos. I can buy those all day for under a dollar. I will share the interesting parts of my site reading/research:

Alma Paprika - matures from white to orange to red. White has almost no heat, and the redder they get - the hotter they are 0-2,000 Scoville Units.
NuMex Garnet Paprika. I'm interested in comparing the two Paprika varieties fresh and ground into paprika.

Anaheim - I have the seeds and they are fun to grow 500-2,500 Scoville Units.
Fooled You F1 and F2 - What started this thread.
Banana Peppers (Sweet) - I've already written about them in this thread.
Jimmy Nardello - an Italian frying pepper that some will tell you they are among the best.
Cubanelle - some sites say they taste better than bell peppers. I've read that are very popular in Cuban cuisine
Pinot Noir F1 - a strange colored good tasting bell pepper that we have really enjoyed growing and eating them.
Candy Cane Red F1 - a bell pepper that my wife wants us to grow. (What better reason?)
Red Cherry, I've grown these in ground. It took me years to find them (Ones that aren't hot) I remember these from when I was a young child. I love them pickled and fresh.
Pretty N Sweet F1. This one intrigues me the most. I have not grown it yet, but this one from countless sites says it's an ornamental that is edible. Good eaten fresh or fried. Every site looks just like the one before with a slight changing of word orders. Some sites called them Ornamedibles. The site I'm ordering them from says they can grow in 6 inch pots.

To me, most peppers are ornamental because they have color in the garden for so long here. I am interested in varieties that can grow in different sized pots - especially in 10 inch and smaller sized pots.

When starting this thread, I was looking for 3 or 4 varieties of peppers to grow in 2019. Gardening is fun and enticing - you want to try it all. This coming year is about growing some not so hot varieties for our friends and family, but I want to learn along the way. I'm glad I started this thread because gardening is also inspirational. I can even see some carpentry involved - cases to hold those pots to be able to move them around when needed.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 9, 2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old December 9, 2018   #28
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
If you are interested we could trade some seeds. I will be ordering the Fooled You seeds very soon. I could send you some seeds to help you remember their flavor.

Thinking about that - Cubanelle is a variety that I have seeds for. I grew them in 2016, and I don't remember what they tasted like. But I also grew around 30 other pepper varieties that year.
Sounds like a plan. I still need to order from Chili Pepper Institute and Seed Savers Exchange after the new year. I'm a seed addict.

Baker Creek has already been ordered.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #29
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, aren't you partaking in the MMMM? You can request varieties from Tormato. "Sweet Pickle" (it's in the swap) is a sweet edible ornamental that grows nicely in about 1 gallon or less of soil. Not my favorite for eating fresh, maybe more of a fryer?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #30
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nan, I donated a lot of seeds to the MMMM, but haven't asked for anything yet.