Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Closed Thread

Old February 27, 2018   #1
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

Default Baker Creek Seeds - Anyone use them???

They were just recommended to me for some heirloom tomatoes, but I'd like your opinion from those who may have used them in the past.

Thanks,
49T&C
Old February 27, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think the owner and operator is a jackass he insulted American Iraq War vets and he will NOT get my business.
I called him out on it he refused to reply and that is that.

You asked I will tell what I think.

Worth
Old February 27, 2018   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Worth. Besides, the last time seeds were purchased there were several wrong seeds and varieties. A couple may be overlooked but seemed to be little quality control. There are better sellers out there
Old February 27, 2018   #4
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

This site might give you more info: https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/14/0/
Old February 27, 2018   #5
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I can't speak to Baker Creek; have never bought from them. I can, however, highly recommend Tomato Grower's Supply Co., Territorial Seed Company, and Seed Savers Exchange. All three have a good selection of seeds and reliably fast service.

For those of you who may like "superhot" peppers, I highly recommend whitehotpeppers.com!

Jon
Old February 27, 2018   #6
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49tandc View Post
They were just recommended to me for some heirloom tomatoes, but I'd like your opinion from those who may have used them in the past.

Thanks,
49T&C

I highly recommend 'Victory Seeds': https://www.victoryseeds.com/
Old February 27, 2018   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Baker Creek has provided me with good seeds, that germinate well, and grow true to type...
Don't know anything about insulting war vets...
Old February 27, 2018   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think the owner and operator is a jackass he insulted American Iraq War vets and he will NOT get my business.
I called him out on it he refused to reply and that is that.

You asked I will tell what I think.

Worth
??? News to me so I spent the past 30 minutes on Google trying to find anything on this subject and only turned up this.
http://www.northlandlifestyle.com/20...-seed-company/
I support all vets, but this did not strike me as odd behavior from a seed saver's point of view. Maybe you are referring to something else?
Old February 27, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
??? News to me so I spent the past 30 minutes on Google trying to find anything on this subject and only turned up this.
http://www.northlandlifestyle.com/20...-seed-company/
I support all vets, but this did not strike me as odd behavior from a seed saver's point of view. Maybe you are referring to something else?
The owner and head vampire of this forum brought it up here years ago.
Something like ((playing solder)) or war comes to mind referring to the war in Iraq and our children was said by this person that runs the seed place.
You see to me it isn't political as far as war it is the fact regardless of the reason these young men and women go to war I will always be behind them 200%.
Be it patriotism or poverty forcing them into a war I will be behind them, I have their back.
For someone to insult them and say (play solder) is reprehensible.
I can also forgive and I gave that person a chance right here on Tomatoville to do it personally to me.
He chose not to.
If he did it today or any day to me not a blanket apology but to me publicly I would forgive and forget and be done with it and never bring it up again.
Old February 27, 2018   #10
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Baker Creek has provided me with good seeds, that germinate well, and grow true to type...
Don't know anything about insulting war vets...
Same here. They have always been wonderful to me and have answered any questions I have had and have been just helpful in general.
Old February 27, 2018   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with others who have said negative things about Baker creek, Jere was also a political activist as many knew.

In addition to some of the other places that some above have suggested I'd like to add

Sandhill Preservation in Iowa for many reasons, and also Dale Thurber's excellent place now moved to I think New Mexico. Right now I can't remember the name of his new site but it's listed in the seed and plant Forum here at Tville, along with almost all the other places that others above have suggested.And all those listings are Not their seed sites,usually a link to those, rather opinions from others about their personal experiences with those sites.

Sheesh,I almost forgot to mention Tania's superb data base site and she also sells seeds and sends them everywhere.

Carolyn
Old February 27, 2018   #12
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

The free catalog from them, is probably the best going...
I didn't buy the $9.95 catalog this year but I may, it's like an encyclopedia.
Selling seed, mixing politics, religion, are never a good combination. But some seeds they sell come from Iraq, and countries we aren't that friendly with are offered there.
It's about seeds, not politics...
Old February 27, 2018   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Selling seed, mixing politics, religion, are never a good combination.
I have stopped buying from sites that state "$x.xx of your purchase goes to support (insert any cause here)" or similar things like that, whether I agree with the cause or not. Business owners need to keep the godgosh darnoodley mouths shut about their political/religious points of view if they want my business.
Old February 27, 2018   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The free catalog from them, is probably the best going...
I didn't buy the $9.95 catalog this year but I may, it's like an encyclopedia.
Selling seed, mixing politics, religion, are never a good combination. But some seeds they sell come from Iraq, and countries we aren't that friendly with are offered there.
It's about seeds, not politics...
I agree but he made that choice not me.
Personally I have no bumper stickers or anything advertising my ideology or politics.
If a business or Hollywood movie star does it and insults my ideas I am done with them.
Many people here may think or assume how I am but only a hand full really know who or what I am.
Other than the fact I love my country our people and young ones.
Old February 27, 2018   #15
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Lol! Just curious, Worth? Did you get the free catalog this year? With Brad Gates Atomic Grape on the cover? Just wondering...
Closed Thread