Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 9, 2018   #91
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, as always! Clever idea on the removable trellis panel - are those bicycle racks?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #92
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I wrote reply about "okra, where" a long while back but I don't see the post.

Seeing that giant marconi on your pics makes me wonder if that is what I've been growing. Twice I kept seeds from roadside stand peppers, basically sweet, but shaped like that. I didn't buy them, and knowing as little as I do about peppers, I figured pablano from the shape and lack of heat.

Poblanos have some heat, Could also be a Red Marconi? Giant Marconi is a hybrid and Red Marconi is an heirloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Okra is great eating but some people don't like the spines, so that could be an issue for locating them. I grow clemson spineless and never really have any problems.

I'm pretty sure that's what I planted.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #93
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Looking good, as always! Clever idea on the removable trellis panel - are those bicycle racks?

I had to get clever, my wife says I'm stating to get out of hand.

Tool and Accessory hooks.
Old July 11, 2018   #94
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

July 10th

The 10 day is gonna be dry!

• Me learning how to use the camera incorrectly!!!

• Heres the pic I was trying to take.

• Weeds serving another purpose.

• 2nd artichoke from this plant

• My first BB !!!

• First flower on the Purple Thai Yard Long Beans

• One of my pollinators hard at work on the comfrey.

• Sunflower for the birds.

Old July 11, 2018   #95
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

10 dry days? Spray, quick!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #96
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
10 dry days? Spray, quick!

Nan

I'm down to half a barrel of rain water and water certain areas with the rain water, but most everything else in my yard is on drip irrigation and no drought yet so I bumped the watering to twice a day.
I do go out every morning and wet the grass real good for the turtles.
Old July 11, 2018   #97
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I meant Daconil, Copper sulfate, DE, etc.

Nan
Old July 11, 2018   #98
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Last I saw was next Tuesday, tstorms. I hope it's not that hot here; nothing was shown out of the 80s. I watered some yesterday and some today. Dry is fine with me. My first corn is coming in, picked 8 cobs tonight, so I might water that tomorrow, but I'd just soon not have it get drenched like last week. I have a 100+ in that block.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #99
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

July 11th

After work today I checked on my Table dainty "aphid problem", it don't look good, I put out a terro bait yesterday to get rid of the ants and will keep spraying for the aphids. It's a shame everything is shriveling up. This morning I checked and it seems the ant population has seriously declined.

I got tired of looking at my Box Car Willie plant in the planter so I ripped that out, it had one tomato the size of a marble and all the flowers were just brown. I replaced the BCW with a volunteer I pulled from my Vertical tower, we will see if it takes.

• I learned last year to pull the Cherokee purples before they are ripe or they split like a 17 yr old married couple.

• Minor split on top

• What the hell is wrong with my Rutgers? The plant and fruit look OK, I'm wondering if it was a seed mix up or some funky cross or something, it looks like a Tigerella or Red Zebra. I ordered these seeds from Bakers Creek.

• Image from Bakers Creek website

• Red Zebra (image from internet)

• Red Zebra (image from internet)

• Yay, a viable zucchini.

• Eggplants are doing nicely, the Listada di Gandia set fruit much quicker than the Black Beauties and the plants are 25% larger. This one needs to be picked soon

• The spaghetti squash took over the neighborhood, I think my neighbor is going to have a good harvest this year, lol. This is the first Squash that was green, the rest all started out tannish/white.

• Everything looks great from a distance.

I tasted one of the "Rutgers" last night and let me tell you it was the best tomato I have ever eaten in my life...EVER!!!

But seriously the tomato was OK, sweet with a little acid/tart flavor, nothing to write home about but just a decent tomato, although I was impressed at how thin the skin was.

• Anyhow here's a few pics of the tomato and plant.

OK Back to the garden, I went out and sprayed a lot of the plants with some Neem Oil, and Bt on the Zucchini plants. I'm not winning the Aphid battle but I'm not loosing either, I'll know in a few days. I have also been battling some type of fungus/virus who knows what it is. Also powdery mildew has reared its ugly head already on my squash plants, I'm not too worried about the spaghetti squash because there's a good amount of squash set on the plant already. I picked a few tomatoes and trimmed the comfrey a bit

• There is also rain in the forecast, thank goodness.

July 17th

Sunday we got a good bit of rain, I filled up my rain barrels and played around a bit. Still waiting for my 90 gallon rain barrel to arrive so I can finish my Rain Barrel harvesting system this year.

Sorry for the dizzying video!

• Found this guy, not happy. I smacked him around a bit and said, "go tell your friends they'll get the same if they show their faces around here"

• Some random garden pics.

Random food pics.
  • Chicken, Feta, Egg, Red Onion, Chopped popper and Perpetual spinach wrap.

• Popper burger - Burger, popper, Am. cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard (finishing up my poppers, lol)

• Turkey club, (shoulda' toasted it)

• A Sulcata that we are fostering until we can find him a home. Strawberry all over her face lol.

• Apparently I'm not the only one that likes a good butt scratch.

Table Dainty squash isn't looking good, I may throw in the towel if it dont look better by this weekend.

My neighbor was out doing some yard work with his daughter and was thrilled at the spaghetti squash growing on his side. He said they were 30" long and 40 pounds, I laughed and thought he needs to clean off his glasses.

• There's also a volunteer pumpkin plant that appeared on his side with an itty, bitty pumpkin.

Old July 17, 2018   #100
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with the squash. After a couple weeks of eating, our summer squash was all killed last week by cucumber beetles, and the honey bear acorn bushes were killed by borers. Butternut is still alive but it is a trial to keep the squash bugs off.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #101
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's not a Rutgers, and there's no way to know if it's a red zebra, either. It's one of the many red striped tomatoes.

Cool looking green spaghetti squash. Please let us know what it looks like inside- zucchini or spaghetti.

Nan
Old July 17, 2018   #102
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Loved the tortoise butt scratch video, hilarious, but I didn't think they'd feel much through the shell, but maybe they feel a buzz?

Good luck finding a home though, they get huge! Does he interact at all with your box turtles?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018   #103
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
That's not a Rutgers, and there's no way to know if it's a red zebra, either. It's one of the many red striped tomatoes.

Cool looking green spaghetti squash. Please let us know what it looks like inside- zucchini or spaghetti.

Nan

Yes I know its not a Rutgers but it was in the same seed packet, I contacted Baker Creek and they seem to thing a Tigerella or a Copia, I think its some weird cross. Maybe not sure.

I have read that sometimes spaghetti squash grow like this and its normal, I'll update when It's harvested and cooked.
Old July 18, 2018   #104
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Loved the tortoise butt scratch video, hilarious, but I didn't think they'd feel much through the shell, but maybe they feel a buzz?

Good luck finding a home though, they get huge! Does he interact at all with your box turtles?

I'm pretty sure they can feel but not the same as their skin.
The Boxers are a little leary of her/him, he/she stays on the deck for now, I'm praying we find him/her a good home, someone offered to drive it out to California on their yearly RV trip out there. There are places in CA that will take "Roomba" yes roomba like the robot vacuum lol.

This thing has more personality than my 2 stupid dogs put together, I'm gonna miss it.
Old July 20, 2018   #105
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

July 17th

• Woohoo, the Cavalry is here!

• Reliance grape vine is coming along nicely.

• I may have to put the table dainty out of its misery

• The rain garden perked up and the plants around the pond are doing OK.

• Not sure what is happening with the 3rd tomato plant from the left (Brandywine Red). It hasn't put on any new flowers or grown anymore in the last few weeks.

• two of my Texas tomato cages got blown over in the storm today. The problem is these are Hugelkultur beds and I can't get the cages in deep enough for support before they hit logs or sticks, next year I'll beat in a few pieces of rebar.

• Getting a 2nd harvest of strawberries and my Giant Leader Cabbage is starting to form a head, its only been 4 months!!

July 20th

Random garden pics

• Chia sees for living mulch.