Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 22, 2018   #2461
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Great job Cole_Robbie! I hate houses with such tight crawl spaces underneath where all the plumbing is. I swore many years ago, if I ever build my own house from the ground up, it will have a basement with easy access to all the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. I don't mind fixing stuff, but I don't like doing it in such tight spaces. If I ever move a house into a spot, I will block it up high enough to have three or feet of crawl space under it and allow the floor joists will be backed up with non wood back up joists. One of my friends built a house with a huge basement. It had those concrete highway divider barriers as joists. It served not only as a basement to the house, but also as a tornado shelter.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #2462
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like Max the dog.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #2463
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

What I like about plumbing is that as long as it works, no one cares how you get from point A to point B. Here's a job I did today. I had thought that the cinder blocks around the foundation of this mobile home were 8" thick. It turns out they were 4", so the faucet I bought was too long...so I looped the pipe around and made it fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20180726_155520_2810.jpeg (167.7 KB, 71 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #2464
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

if it was a sewer line, I would think you just created a future problem. If it is only a water pipe under pressure, it will work just fine. It is in fact ingenious. In Texas, we call it Aggie engineering in honor of Texas A&M university.
Old July 26, 2018   #2465
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

And in Massachusetts it would be called "illegal."
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #2466
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I'm not from that part of Texas.
Worth
Old July 26, 2018   #2467
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

You need to anchor the copper pipe well to the wall. With 60 lbs of water pressure being applied and released at the faucet, the extra pvc pipe will have a coil spring effect affecting either the joint at the main supply line or the fitting on the faucet.
Old July 26, 2018   #2468
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here's the link to the Massachusetts plumbing code:
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...248cmr10_0.pdf

I can't find anything that says not to do what I did, but maybe I'm just not seeing it. There is a section of that code that says mobile homes, which this was, are governed by Federal HUD standards. I don't know if that is the same in every state? The states are allowed to be more restrictive if they like, I presume, but may just all defer to the HUD code for the sake of simplicity.
Old July 26, 2018   #2469
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

On long runs of steel pipe they put in these expansion sections so the pipeline wont pull itself apart.
Normally it it straight then ninety out ninety straight ninety back in straight and ninety back in the direction it needs to go.
Four ninety degree elbows all together with three shorter straight runs of pipe to get back in the right direction.
Disconnecting these lines for repair can be very dangerous from pipe jump alone.
My biggest connection was a 32 inch natural gas line to a compressor I rebuilt almost by myself.
No kidding.
The other guy's were rebuilding the engine.

For some odd reason I seem to know about running chemical and petroleum pipelines too.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 26, 2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old July 26, 2018   #2470
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
You need to anchor the copper pipe well to the wall. With 60 lbs of water pressure being applied and released at the faucet, the extra pvc pipe will have a coil spring effect affecting either the joint at the main supply line or the fitting on the faucet.
Thanks. The faucet on the outside has two wood screws into the wood surrounding it, so it seems secure.

Most of the plumbing underneath that trailer is held up by nylon twine.
Old July 26, 2018   #2471
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Read above post Cole.
Worth
Old July 26, 2018   #2472
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Random Pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Here's the link to the Massachusetts plumbing code:
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...248cmr10_0.pdf

I can't find anything that says not to do what I did, but maybe I'm just not seeing it. There is a section of that code that says mobile homes, which this was, are governed by Federal HUD standards. I don't know if that is the same in every state? The states are allowed to be more restrictive if they like, I presume, but may just all defer to the HUD code for the sake of simplicity.

Regardless of whether the plumbing you did is up to MA code or not, only individuals who hold a MA plumbing license are legally permitted to do plumbing work in the state of MA. A non-licensed individual cannot even legally repair a faucet in their own home. A licensed plumber must pull a permit for every job and have an inspection upon completion. And, each city or town has a plumbing inspector who can interpret the state plumbing code however they choose to.

If your example is "potable" water and was not plumbed using CPVC or copper, then that would be another violation here (not sure about other states). PVC is considered unsafe for water supply lines and only permitted for drain lines (reason this thread caught my eye is that I spent the day helping my MA plumber licensed husband run all new PVC drain lines in our basement today...)

Not saying what you did is wrong or right where you are, just saying that it wouldn't fly here.
Old July 27, 2018   #2473
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

PVC is considered and approved drinking water safe and has been for years.
There are only a hand full like maybe three states that are still holding on.

The only difference between CPVC and PVC is the hot water use.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 27, 2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old July 27, 2018   #2474
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Regardless of whether the plumbing you did is up to MA code or not, only individuals who hold a MA plumbing license are legally permitted to do plumbing work in the state of MA. A non-licensed individual cannot even legally repair a faucet in their own home. A licensed plumber must pull a permit for every job and have an inspection upon completion. And, each city or town has a plumbing inspector who can interpret the state plumbing code however they choose to.

If your example is "potable" water and was not plumbed using CPVC or copper, then that would be another violation here (not sure about other states). PVC is considered unsafe for water supply lines and only permitted for drain lines (reason this thread caught my eye is that I spent the day helping my MA plumber licensed husband run all new PVC drain lines in our basement today...)

Not saying what you did is wrong or right where you are, just saying that it wouldn't fly here.
They will drive by your house and if they dont see a red sticker on an old water heater they can make you hire all the trades necessary to take it out and reinstall the water heater old sink or what ever it is.

We all know what this is about, job protection.
Texas could use a wee bit of it if you ask me but not that much.

Our construction sights are now almost 100% cheap immigrant labor consisting of crappy work.
Old July 27, 2018   #2475
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
They will drive by your house and if they dont see a red sticker on an old water heater they can make you hire all the trades necessary to take it out and reinstall the water heater old sink or what ever it is.

We all know what this is about, job protection.
Texas could use a wee bit of it if you ask me but not that much.

Our construction sights are now almost 100% cheap immigrant labor consisting of crappy work.

And, when your licensed plumber calls in the plumbing inspector to do the final inspection on your new water heater and they notice that your nearby laundry sink wasn't installed to code, they can require you to have that corrected (with all appropriate permits pulled and tradespeople hired) before they'll sign off on the water heater permit...