Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 18, 2018   #16
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
Just ran across this same deal here in MS. Bought 5 bags of the Tomato Food and 3 of the Leafy Greens Food. Little over $15 for 32 lbs of plant food.

Tempted to go back and get more at that price, but I have never used the stuff and wondered if it was a solid product. Anyone have experience with this line?
For one Ecoscraps has higher NPK value than Espoma and Jobe's. Doesn't come with the chicken manure which is what most of the Espoma GardenTone is. I've had issues with herbicide residues from those chicken manure products before. This also mean it doesn't reek as much as well. Of course it still come with other poultry parts. Also they don't use biosolids in their products, for what it's worth.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 18, 2018 at 07:29 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #17
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Went to Walmart yesterday (which I rarely do) and found bags of Tomatotone in clearance isle for $2.50/ea, I bought them all.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #18
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
For one Ecoscraps has higher NPK value than Espoma and Jobe's. Doesn't come with the chicken manure which is what most of the Espoma GardenTone is. I've had issues with herbicide residues from those chicken manure products before. This also mean it doesn't reek as much as well. Of course it still come with other poultry parts. Also they don't use biosolids in their products, for what it's worth.
Makes sense to me. Online reviews are good. Was just looking for someone here to say they've used it successfully.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Went to Walmart yesterday (which I rarely do) and found bags of Tomatotone in clearance isle for $2.50/ea, I bought them all.
I did the same at a Walmart near our house around Christmas. The cashier said what's with all the fertilizer, I told her it was a big discount and will feed tomatoes in the summer.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #20
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

One year, late in the summer, I noticed a ton of semi-live lantana in pots at the local Home Depot store.

They looked pretty bad. I had seen dead plants thrown in dumpsters at Home Depot.

It was too late to set them out, but I thought I would try to over winter them if I could get them at a decent price.

I asked about them discounting the plants and I was told, "No. They cannot be discounted. We have to sell them at the full price."

They said that the live plants are not really Home Depot inventory. Some plant place in the area leaves all of the live plants and dictates the price.

I passed and I am sure the plants went in the dumpster.

I have commented that we need a SPCP (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Plants) because the Walmart and Home Depot employees frequently fail to water live plants every day.
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #21
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

It's Bonnie Plant's property, they're too overpriced to waste money on unless it come in a six pack.

As for Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Plants, George Carlin did a segment (battered plants) on that in his 1986 special.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #22
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
It's Bonnie Plant's property, they're too overpriced to waste money on unless it come in a six pack.

As for Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Plants, George Carlin did a segment (battered plants) on that in his 1986 special.
I used to watch George Carlin. Some of his stuff was really funny; some of it was rather coarse.

I looked up the segment you mentioned (viewer discretion advised):

https://youtu.be/73LtJVIoYfw
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHaskins View Post
I used to watch George Carlin. Some of his stuff was really funny; some of it was rather coarse.

I looked up the segment you mentioned (viewer discretion advised):

https://youtu.be/73LtJVIoYfw
I saw Carlin in the 80's in Austin an older couple got up and walked out.
I guess they had only seen him on Johnny Carson.

Had tickets to go see him again and he died.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #24
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

In Omaha, a local non profit gathers rescue plants and overstock from retailers and garden donors the area. The plants are given free to libraries, schools, etc and the majority are sold to plant lovers and with the funds donated to the Omaha Public Library for technology purchases.

Definitely a labor of love for all involved. It is Benson Plant Rescue, and they have a facebook page.

On a different note, home depot annual and perennial plants (not Bonnie) have a tag tucked far into the soil with a notice that they have insect (bee) killing products. The verbiage is very vague for the general public.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #25
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Spring Black Friday Sale at Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured...y/N-5yc1vZcjjd

http://localad.homedepot.com/HomeDep...iewmode=single
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #26
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Removed

Last edited by Labradors2; April 6, 2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: This was OT so I started another thread.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #27
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Default Bonnie Plants for $1.89 a plant on Thursday, April 19

Bonnie plants are currently 5 for $15 at Home Depot until April 29,

There's a one day sale on Thursday, April 19 where the same plants are $1.89.
Old April 19, 2018   #28
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Aren't the BP sales similar for spring black friday and the typical memorial day kickoff ?

Re post #20 - some stuff, not just gardening is not actually owned by HD. HD simply get's paid a commision fee for each item sold.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #29
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
Bonnie plants are currently 5 for $15 at Home Depot until April 29,

There's a one day sale on Thursday, April 19 where the same plants are $1.89.
Thanks for the tip. I went and picked up a few, nice ones but still expensive at ~$2.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #30
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I picked up plants. The six pack plants were not part of the sale even though the regular price for these plants is the same as the single plant ($3.78). I went ahead and got a couple of six pack plants at the regular price because the tomato and cucumber plants 6 packs that I selected had way more than 6 plants in them.