Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 26, 2016   #241
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Wow I can't believe I didn't see this till now--congratulations KarenO!!! All your tomatoes look fantastic and I am so happy for you. That was a lot of work but your efforts paid off. Great job.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #242
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey Karen, I'm glad to hear you got the next gen going in the new digs!
If you're sending out seed next year, I'll be putting that in my plans. So little space, but so much wonderful!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #243
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

F4 of the green/ pink bicolour heart. Potato leaf plant.
I am calling it Sundog aa it showed up as a fluke f3 segregation from the bicolour yellow heart I call midnight sun and its sort of a rainbow effect. Almost tricolour as there is yellow in there too imo.
This fruit is very ripe and very sweet but I find that This is one of those tomatoes you can eat quite green if you want to and it tastes good then as well. Very few seeds. Nearly solid about 8 oz. most productive and earliest interestingly of the F4s. Two small locules with a total of about 20 seeds in this fruit.
Not a seed collectors dream tomato but usually the later fruits have more
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (143.0 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by KarenO; September 3, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #244
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wowza! Gorgeous doesn't begin to describe that.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #245
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much Marsha, this cross is turning out to be all I had hoped for and way more besides.
Soon I will be able to work on the delicious CL cross. There are some amazing F2 beefsteaks to choose from. Also, in my search for hearts exclusively I set aside some beautiful beefsteaks from this one as well. Couple of crosses have given me years and years worth of work not to mention the KARMA cherries as well ...
Enjoying the process
Karen
Old September 4, 2016   #246
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

KarenO, this tomato reminded me the inside colors of some variety of a red plum. It looks so delicious and beautiful, of cause. Great job, as usual.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2016   #247
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Thanks so much Marsha, this cross is turning out to be all I had hoped for and way more besides.
Soon I will be able to work on the delicious CL cross. There are some amazing F2 beefsteaks to choose from. Also, in my search for hearts exclusively I set aside some beautiful beefsteaks from this one as well. Couple of crosses have given me years and years worth of work not to mention the KARMA cherries as well ...
Enjoying the process
Karen
I can see where you may become like most of the breeders, they only grow lots of F gens of their crosses, and they couldn't care less about already OP varieties. Natural evolution as I see it. There's too much to discover, and too little garden space!
Bravo, Karen!
Old September 4, 2016   #248
bower
Tomatovillian™

Pretty fruit, KarenO.
But did you know I had a selection last year named Sundog? I'm growing the F3 this year and found the one I was looking for - full Beta orange with gf, determinate, so will be growing the F4 out next year for sure.
I named it for the radial stripes which look like the sundogs we commonly see here over the water. These are just ripening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sundog-F3.JPG (178.6 KB, 163 views)
Old September 4, 2016   #249
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Nice one Bower, looks wonderful. I didn't know you had used the name. I can think of something else for this one.
The name doesn't matter too much but the tomato does .
Something northern...
Ideas folks?
KarenO
Old September 4, 2016   #250
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm I love your northern names... looking at that sweet fruit the long streaks of color remind me of a few northern things... sled trails... or ice fjords where you gaze down into the depths. But I'm just imagining the sun or sunset light falling on them, and I don't know special words for those things.
Old September 4, 2016   #251
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I can see where you may become like most of the breeders, they only grow lots of F gens of their crosses, and they couldn't care less about already OP varieties. Natural evolution as I see it. There's too much to discover, and too little garden space!
Bravo, Karen!
Not likely, there are too many amazing ones I want to try from everyone else. I just need more room...
KO
Old September 4, 2016   #252
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Nice one Bower, looks wonderful. I didn't know you had used the name. I can think of something else for this one.
The name doesn't matter too much but the tomato does .
Something northern...
Ideas folks?
KarenO
I don't know about a name, but your beautiful tomato looks a lot like this phenomenon, which we get fairly often here in Norway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_iridescence A direct translation of the Norwegian name for it is "mother-of-pearl clouds".

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2016   #253
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The opposite of midnight sun in northern terms is polar night so maybe that is a fun name.
KO
Old September 4, 2016   #254
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think of a dark tomato when I see night. How does BC sunset, or Canadian Sunstreak feel?
Old September 4, 2016   #255
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yum, those "Rainbow Clouds" are as pretty as the tomato for sure!

KarenO, the pink and green also reminds me of those beautiful patches of wildflowers in the tundra in summertime.
"River Beauty" is the name of a gorgeous pink one - actually a type of dwarf fireweed, that is important as a food in the far north, as well as a sight to behold.
check it out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamerion_latifolium