Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2017   #1576
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

we had weather like this back in 1976
long island sound froze.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #1577
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I only have electric space heaters, which are normally enough, but they are falling a little short in this weather. I don't see why I can't use an electric oven and a fan as a big electric heater. I'm going to try that tonight. Gas ovens produce carbon monoxide, so using a gas oven would be a bad idea. But as long as I don't leave it unattended, I don't see any risk in the electric oven-as-heater idea. Everything I read on the Internet says it is a bad idea, but no one mentions using a fan to move the air.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #1578
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's cold!

Okay, only 26F right now, but the wind is making it feel cold outside. It's supposed to get down to around 15F and stay below freezing New Year's Day and Tuesday. Three days below freezing isn't that bad - just cold.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #1579
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Crud, I had no idea it was going to get this cold here, I have been busy doing other things and taking care of my hubby. Thank goodness he feels alot better today because we just got inside from covering the Crepe Myrtle once again. Oh my is it cold out there and I'm sure glad I went to the grocery store yesterday.

Bower and Carolyn, and anyone else cowering down I sure hope you all do ok with this awful storm.

Special Weather Statement
Weather Updated: Dec 31 3:57PM
Issued by the National Weather Service

For Aransas County, Texas

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 6AM CST MON ...ARCTIC COLD FRONT TO USHER IN THE NEW YEAR WITH MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND POSSIBLY SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...

AN ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL SURGE ACROSS SOUTH TEXAS TONIGHT, WITH MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES BEHIND IT.

LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT WILL DROP INTO THE LOWER AND MID 30S.

LIGHT PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TONIGHT, WITH NO WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION EXPECTED YET.

HOWEVER ON MONDAY, AS THE COLDER AIR PUSHES FARTHER SOUTH, WE WILL LIKELY SEE A TRANSITION FROM RAIN TO FREEZING RAIN TO SLEET FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST AS THE DAY PROGRESSES.

NO ICE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED AS FREEZING RAIN PERIOD WILL BE SHORT AND GROUND TEMPERATURES ARE VERY WARM, ALTHOUGH BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES COULD BECOME SLICK FOR A TIME.

SLEET ACCUMULATIONS ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES MAY OCCUR, BUT ARE EXPECTED TO BE MINIMAL. WITH GUSTY NORTH WINDS, WIND CHILL VALUES WILL FALL INTO THE LOW TO MID 20S LATE TONIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING AND INTO THE UPPER TEENS EARLY TUESDAY MORNING.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF SOUTH TEXAS FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. THE ADVISORY MAY NEED TO BE EXTENDED ON MONDAY. PRECIPITATION CHANCES WILL DIMINISH MONDAY NIGHT.

THE ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL CONTINUE TO PUSH INTO THE REGION. FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED AREA WIDE TUESDAY MORNING WITH HARD FREEZE EXPECTED WEST OF HIGHWAY 77.

A FREEZE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR TUESDAY MORNING. ALTHOUGH MOST OF THE RAIN WILL BE OFFSHORE EARLY TUESDAY MORNING, SOME LIGHT RAIN MAY MOVE INTO SOME COASTAL AREAS AND, WITH TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING, SOME LIGHT FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE THROUGH MID MORNING.

BY LATE TUESDAY MORNING TEMPERATURES WILL WARM SUFFICIENTLY FOR ANY PRECIPITATION TO BE IN LIQUID FORM. WARM AIR OVER-RIDING THE COLD AIR NEAR THE SURFACE ALONG WITH AN UPPER LEVEL JET WILL PRODUCE AREAS OF DRIZZLE AND LIGHT RAIN TUESDAY AFTERNOON OVER THE EASTERN PORTIONS OF SOUTH TEXAS.

THE OVER- RUNNING PATTERN AND JET WILL MOVE EAST OF THE AREA EARLY TUESDAY EVENING BEFORE FREEZING TEMPERATURES RETURN TO THE AREA. CLOUDS WILL DIMINISH FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST TUESDAY NIGHT.

WITH CLEARING SKIES, A HARD FREEZE IS ANTICIPATED FOR ALL OF SOUTH TEXAS WEDNESDAY MORNING WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER TO MID 20S. FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL BE LIKELY AGAIN ON THURSDAY MORNING,

BEFORE THE AIRMASS MODIFIES MORE DURING THE REST OF THE WEEK. RESIDENTS OF SOUTH TEXAS SHOULD MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR PROTECTION OF SENSITIVE PLANTS AND PETS AS WELL AS OUTDOOR WATER PIPES WITH THIS UPCOMING COLD SNAP TO START THE NEW YEAR.

PLAN AHEAD FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES AND DRESS IN LAYERS FOR COLD WEATHER.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; December 31, 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1580
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

6F (-14C) outside of Philadelphia. A chilly start to the New Year! Highs today may make the teens. Stay warm everyone!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1581
bower
Tomatovillian™

The map of arctic air is freakish! Even during the winter with all the talk about the 'polar vortex' I don't recall it dipping down to south Texas. Our homes are designed for the cold up here, but harder to endure those extremes when you're not equipped for it.
Cole, I have often baked stuff on a cold day and enjoyed the heat that does escape and the residue afterwards. Dunno if my oven is just leaky but even with the door closed it's a bit of a radiator. If you try the fan trick your power bill will probably be shocking, I don't know other reasons why it's a bad idea.
Hot food though = very good idea! Make merry everyone, as much as you can.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1582
Haraldsdotter
Tomatovillian™

It’s 4F here right now... I’m planning on running my 2 pressure canners to process full loads of split pea soup and BBQ pork (aka the porkie project) since I had a leftover ham bone and Wegmans had pork shoulder on sale this week. That should warm up the kitchen quite nicely
Haraldsdotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1583
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I woke up to -8 degrees F on my thermometer this morning. Not nice.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1584
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

-8 here this morning with a wind chill of -27
My Mitsubishi split unit heat pumps can't pull any heat out of the air when it's this cold...
its 49 in my living room with a fire going in the fireplace insert... and it's going to be like this all week. I have PEX pipe run in all the floors for radiant heat but didn't get it hooked up in time, and it's too cold to do it now. Stay warm my friends!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1585
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It's cold!

Okay, only 26F right now, but the wind is making it feel cold outside. It's supposed to get down to around 15F and stay below freezing New Year's Day and Tuesday. Three days below freezing isn't that bad - just cold.
I'm in TX right now, near Austin, visiting with my daughter, and that's pretty much what my phone says. It's definitely cold out there.. and Saturday was so nice!
Old January 1, 2018   #1586
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

We've been living on the cusp between maybe snow and maybe rain on this coast for the past two weeks or so. -4C at night so not nearly as cold as the interior of the continent.

The Anna's hummingbirds winter over here. Once my son asked how they survive our winters and I said they tuck in and pretend that they are pinecones up in the fir trees. Actually, not far from the truth - they go onto a state called torpor, sort of an overnight hibernation.

Here's a youngster feeding under a dome while it snows.

I like the light on Papa?

Sitting next to a tomato clip.

Having a snow bath. (There is a steaming fountain available!)

Under the blooming jasmine nudiflorum.

Amazing how these tiny birds survive the cold.

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; January 1, 2018 at 12:48 PM.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1587
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I surrender.

Absolutely the latest it's ever been for me to be able to get my computer going. It has to be 68 to 69 for me to be able to start it.

Freda and Martha were both here this AM, Freda took a look at my Taylor indoor/outdoor unit and it was 65 in here where my computer is and minus 12 outside.

So I have food,big deal. They both have scanners and mentioned that a man was walking along Black Creek road with a blanket around him, it was reported to the Sherriff's Dep,I know no more.

Furnaces not running for many.

Still no fuel delivery but Freda says I have enough,whatever that means.

The fuel company has been delivering and going flat out with deliveries, I have no idea when that might happen since Julie said my ticket was out a week ago today.

After Freda and Martha left I went back to bed and tried to keep warm, but woke up when I heard a woman with a high pitched voice by my front door, she spoke briefly,I couldn't understand her and she never came in.

Once I was up I came here and sat in my computer chair,watching the temps try to climb.I cut my fingernails and filed them.

I know the backup electric baseboard heat goes on and off, but only in my bathroom so I know that,nowhere else since I can't get out to the kitchen and am forbidden to go down that one step to the large room where my LV/ DR is.

I know many have no heat at all,but don't want to abandon their homes b/c of pipes freezing.

I know of many who can't start their cars/trucks as well.

Martha has this thing with her which she activates and starts her car out in my driveway,so that's good.

I've seen lots of bad weather from blizzards to ice storms,but nothing like this and the subzero weather continues for at least another week or so.

What happened to that annual January Thaw, that was when the water would pool in some our fields at the farm, then freeze up and we were glad since then we could go ice skating.

I just heard some one put something in my door, went to check and although I heard nothing it was kero delivery, I owe 550, but they bill my Visa directly. I sure hope it was Marcus since the other driver forgets that kero foams up in cold weather and you have to let it settle before adding more.So if a foam problem I get charged for a full tank when it will actually be down 1/4.

But if it WAS Marcus,he always brings the ticket in to me, but maybe he was in a hurry since they are so behind..

I'll have Freda check on the tank when she comes tomorrow.

Aw shucks, outside temp back to 3, it was up to 6, inside here is still 73 by my computer.

Carolyn
Old January 1, 2018   #1588
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I checked the temperature up where I used to work in Prudhoe Bay Alaska and it is a balmy 4 degrees.
Whether you guys know it or not that is a warm snap up there big time.
And yes the warm air usually means wind and it is blowing at around 28 mph.
The temps this time of year there are normally 30 below.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1589
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Where I live, we expect to get some days or a week of -25F below temperature for a few times every winter so our houses are prepared for it. We hit -31F the night before last, and down to about -25F on New Year's Eve. Today I tried to open our upstairs entrance door to the back steps and it was frozen shut. I had to get the hair dryer and heat up the threshhold metal before I could eventually break the ice lip which had formed on the outside of the door. Got it all melted and dried and will remember to open and close it a few times each day to keep the ice broken up. Don't think I had opened it at all in the last 3-4 days. It's normally not a problem until you spend a lot of days lower than -10F. We need that door as an extra emergency exit in case of fire, so bad to have it freeze shut.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1590
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The arctic is having a warm spell, which is part of what is behind the cold spell right now for North America.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote