Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2019   #2851
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

The NWS says no tropical cyclones expected in the next 5 days. Personally I hope none in the next 50 days. The detailed discussion says all those systems are encountering dry air at the moment. Of course that can all change.

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM Tropical Weather Outlook NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL 200 PM EDT Sun Aug 11 2019 For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico

: Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days. $$ Forecaster Latto/Pasch NNNN
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019   #2852
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Why do they refer to them as cyclones, I know the name cyclone derives from rotating cyclonic storm but where it gets really confusing here in the southern hemisphere areas of high air pressure are called anticyclones that are still areas of rotating descending air, buggered if I know .

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #2853
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Raining torrentially

This morning I had a vine of beautiful morning glories just opened, then the rain came and pelted the blossoms to death. I took a pic this morning before it happened. This morning glory is called Glacier Star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-08-23-12-47-03~2.jpg (119.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 0823190839.jpg (63.2 KB, 91 views)
Old August 23, 2019   #2854
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

lovely colour

The first signs of spring have arrived with the greening of the weeping willows, pollen from the pine trees and leaves coming out on my Haskap and Gojiberries. Still on snow and looking less likely we will see any for the fourth year in a row.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #2855
bower
Tomatovillian™

Donna, maybe the Glacier name was not a good omen in 2019.
I used to have this little black iris, they would only bloom it seems either minutes before or during an intense thunderstorm downpour which left them a bedraggled pulp. Eventually I saw them bloom properly in one of those intense humid spells when it seemed like the skies would burst but they didn't. Iris chrysographes, but the proper name IMO is thunderflower.
We've been having it really hot and humid with not much rain, not the usual August weather for sure. (Really hot by local standards, means mid 20's C and humidex in the 30 C+ range)

The ground is very dry! We finally had 15 mm rain last night, but today I pulled one of my garlic rounds and the soil was.. really quite dry even 3-4 inches down.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #2856
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Day after endless day, week after endless week of 100+ weather here.
It is enough to drive me crazy.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #2857
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Since we had such a wet spring and first part of summer I haven't had most of my watering zones on my irrigation system on since last year.
Then there was the problem with my water pressure they finally fixed.
I just turned them on with my remote and forced all of the air out of the lines that I used to blow out the lines last winter.
Yesterday was the first time I have watered the bamboo all year.
This 100 degree heat forced me to turn everything on.
The cast iron plants dont seen to give one hoot or a holler if it rains or not.
They truly are a drought and shade tolerant plant.

Got a few from someone a few years ago to plant here than there for free.
Old August 24, 2019   #2858
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Number Five is alive!
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
A tropical depression has developed in the Atlantic Ocean and is named Five. Its' development may have been aided by particulate matter (soot from smoke) at mid levels. The mid level layer had previous been report by NHC (National Hurricane Center) as a layer of dry air which would have limited the storm's development. To understand how particulate matter affects storm clouds, you would have to know about "rain's dirty little secret". https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-this-is-rain-s-dirty-little-secret
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019   #2859
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Update Number Five is no longer a tropical depression. It has grown into a tropical storm since my last post and its' official name is now Dorian.
Dutch
P.S. Dorian is the fourth named tropical storm of the 2019 hurricane season. It was the fifth tropical depression (TD5) and originated as the ninety ninth low (L99) pressure system.

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Last edited by Dutch; August 24, 2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added Post Script
Old August 24, 2019   #2860
bower
Tomatovillian™

Fascinating piece about the rain, Dutch. Thank you!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019   #2861
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

, no worries about vapours here in the USA - We use correct spelling. I use Texan spelling, and what is a centimeter? I think I saw one of those the other day - it was about 0.393701 inches long. Gah, the rest of the world. Just kidding...

Texas August forecast is put on a loop. "It's gonna be hot - you might get some rain and it might contain a tornado or not, but otherwise hot."
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019   #2862
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Fascinating piece about the rain, Dutch. Thank you!
Thank you, Bower! --- I believe tropical storm Dorian is going to make a direct hit on the island of Barbados this afternoon and shortly after, the island of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. This path is much closer to the South American coast than any of the current prediction models are currently showing. Dorian is a relatively compact storm and somewhat tall for its footprint, so it may wobble as it passes through the islands and change course. In any case I think it will travel farther west into the Caribbean Sea than is currently being predicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It will get sucked up into the gulf coast.
Stay tuned Worth. You may be able to say bingo before this ugly little storm has finished running its course.--- Dutch

Old August 26, 2019   #2863
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I don't wish anyone ill will but we need some rain and cooler weather big time.
Old August 26, 2019   #2864
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we got it here worth,

day time temps have been in the 70s lately, night time temps are dropping into the 50s.
the night time temps are a harbinger of fall weather coming. we got some rain today, and supposed to rain more tomorrow.

keith
Old August 26, 2019   #2865
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Finally a soaking rain today. After a Spring where it never really stopped raining, it shot into the 90's and we went without rain for several weeks here in N. Ky. & the ground turned into concrete. I'm still getting enough tomatoes for my wife & I but the garden is pretty much done. Blessed to get a cool rain today.