Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 15, 2017   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default rainbow of colors in garlic wrappers

This year I harvested and cleaned and trimmed a fair bit of garlic at the farm as well as my own, so my thoughts are always turning to being a good hand for garlic in the field - recognizing if anything is wrong with a bulb so you don't end up spreading a bad thing to the good garlic.

Anyway I noticed this year that a lot of the Spanish Roja we pulled at the farm had many colors in the outer wrappers when pulled, as I've always seen before with the New York White (strangely named I thought because it is so colorful - at least, when freshly from the ground). Some of the SR that I trimmed a few weeks later - in a very humid shed - were also still showing a full rainbow of colors from yellow-green-blue-purple-to reddish.

I also had a bulb at home that I had partly stripped all the outer wrappers, due to wireworm damage, and the clove wrapper turned bright yellow as it cured. Shockingly yellow.

All of this left me wondering what are the colors telling me, that I might need to know.
As google is my friend, I did some digging and found out about these colors of garlic, which they come by naturally - pyrrhole pigments involving sulfur and amino acids.
So I thought I would start this thread to share our observations about colors in garlic - both natural and enemy colors - and what they tell us about its condition or about the environment.

I regret I wasn't taking pix while I cleaned the garlic at the farm, but here are a few colors from my New York White last year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-NYW-colors.JPG (165.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg colors-NYW-wrapper.JPG (203.7 KB, 89 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote