Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 28, 2016   #361
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Working on it!
Good luck with that, Chris! And please keep us informed
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #362
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I grew several F4's from the RRxRQMF cross this last fall and into the winter.
I had a few that were less than 12 inches tall.
All of the plants had foliage disease and died an early death.
None had the multiflora display that Dan F's has had .
Mine were like very sparse in developing tomatoes.
I had one that I would rate an 8 for taste.
I am going to grow out the best tasting one.
Susan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3625 (413x640).jpg (151.9 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3628 (540x640).jpg (212.3 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3643 (640x480).jpg (193.0 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3645 (519x640).jpg (226.9 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3647 (470x640).jpg (172.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3648 (640x522).jpg (206.7 KB, 296 views)
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #363
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why it would throw non-multiflora at this point. Perhaps environmental. I would not advance any of them. We're looking for multiflora and good plants.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #364
dwhughes
Tomatovillian™

So, I started trying to make an excel database of varieties, with genetics where known, just to see what it would look like. The older varieties were easier, because breeders just say "cross of A and B". Modern (university bred) tomatoes have these terribly long, complicated breeding lines behind them. Anyway, here's a start. On the pedigree tab, cell I2 lets you pick a variety, and the chart to the right will update automatically. Instructions to add more are on the instructions sheet. Enjoy.
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: zip pedigree database.zip (36.8 KB, 26 views)
dwhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #365
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

A couple F5's of the micro hopefully with apricot flavor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160410_185321-800x450.jpg (144.9 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 20160410_185326-800x450.jpg (140.4 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20160410_185216-768x1365.jpg (221.2 KB, 238 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #366
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

A couple? lol! Looking forward to tasting notes! Look like they are staying nice and compact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
A couple F5's of the micro hopefully with apricot flavor

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #367
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
A couple? lol! Looking forward to tasting notes! Look like they are staying nice and compact.
For sure. They are squaty and loading up. I hope to keep that flavor.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #368
bower
Tomatovillian™

They look lovely! We're all waiting impatiently for this one. Hope it's a great and a lucky season for you.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #369
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

I am embarassed to report a total failure in my efforts to grow out MMF-8 and MMF-10 under lights this past winter. The seeds germinated well and grew to about 2" under a combination oF fluorescent and LED lights. Then they stopped growing and basically shrivelled up and died, i suspect that the coir planting mix I used was not to their liking. Sorry. I have seeds left and will make another effort. (I successfully grew several hundred seedlings this spring using a different seed starting mix).
Old May 8, 2016   #370
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Chris - Here is the F6 plant that I am going to advance to F7. It is thirteen inches tall - very heavy fruit set - good sized fruit - delicious. Here are two photos - back and front. Apparently it would have been better if I had rotated it more. The leaves were all turned toward the window.

Quite a few are starting to blush, so I should have F7 seed to plant - and send to you - in a week or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMF8-3-6sm.jpg (428.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg MMF8-3-6asm.jpg (399.6 KB, 184 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #371
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Amazing fruit set! Has anyone had the time to determine the life span of these micro plants yet? Like in how many months of production before you figure it needs to be tossed or replaced. Or if cut back and re-potted, would it grow back with another harvest?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #372
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Amazing fruit set! Has anyone had the time to determine the life span of these micro plants yet? Like in how many months of production before you figure it needs to be tossed or replaced. Or if cut back and re-potted, would it grow back with another harvest?
My answers are no, I don't know and I don't know.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #373
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Dee, I can't speak to micros in general since I've only grown one - Red Dwarf. I grew it in winter and hucked it outdoors in the spring when it was done fruiting and had gotten buggy. Even with total neglect, it did put forth new leaves and flowers and fruit again, so I think if the plant is healthy enough, no reason to not keep it alive as long as you like.
I've seen this with some other determinates, that they will finish ripening their fruit load and appear done, but then start again when they're cut back - if the season is long enough.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #374
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, bower! I was pondering in general, on the best time to start seeds on the micro's if a person wanted their main crop to start inside, about the time that those of us in the north freeze out our gardens outdoors. That got me wondering about if/how long the plants could be made to produce indoors if they were outdoor plants started in the spring. If they are all indeterminates, which they ought to be from their parentage they should keep setting fruit for a long time. For some reason, I keep wanting to think of them as determinates.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #375
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

I have had real good luck with Yellow Pygmy .... starting outside and lengthening season under lights inside as well as starting inside and extending crops outside ..

I have treated Silvery Fir as an adaptable cultivar and started from seed inside till crop inside under lights ...
then from same plant another crop from same plant outside in spring. These plants were in 1 gallon containers ! ......I guess it is possible to over winter in 1 gallon container and then transplant to bigger containers for 2nd outdoor crop ???

Sort of "forced " Micro cultivation for a non micro plant ....not really micro ..but small container tolerance ...adaptable.

I sure look forward to more development of choices for Micro cultivation (and small container tolerance).