Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 6, 2009   #1
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Toms TPS

Now at the three month growth stage,should be able to get 5 more before the end of the season.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I always like to see the seedlings out of my potato program. Just thinking of some names for the seedlings pictured...

Poky Sow Call for the Lo Owl Skycap, both of which are anagrams of my original cross.

Hootchy-Kootchy for one of the seedlings of Khuchi Khuchi

Domain Blued for one of the Diamond Blues, also an anagram.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

So whats a anagram Tom??
Old December 7, 2009   #4
Tom Wagner

He Rears Sheep is an anagram of sheep shearer. Rearranging the letters to make a new word or words.

In the case of Lo Owl Skycap, this name is an anagram of the two parents that were used in the cross. But it takes me a few moments to remember the hidden pedigree sometimes, but I like the mystery.
Old January 2, 2010   #5
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Tom you've mentioned in another thread that growing TPS potatoes will show variations which is really showing up in the likes of the two Diamond Blue plants below,no flowers yet but certainly some dark looking foliage.
I understand the process of crossing two different types/varieties of spuds which give you F1 seed,but is F2 seed from crossing flowers from within that original F1 cross??

The likes Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi the variations show up in the colours of the flowers as well,i presume this is common also?

Old January 2, 2010   #6
Tom Wagner

Quote:
I understand the process of crossing two different types/varieties of spuds which give you F1 seed,but is F2 seed from crossing flowers from within that original F1 cross??
That is right but I also allow for F-2 sib mated venues. In other words, two or more F-1 plants among the same hybrid can be mated or allow to intercross to make that F-2.

Quote:
The likes Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi the variations show up in the colours of the flowers as well,i presume this is common also?
Both of those potato vines shown will have a correlation between pigmentation of the leaves/stems and the flower color

I would expect some nice colored skin and well as flesh. My full sibs of your Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi had lots of berries and it looks like yours will too.
Much as professionals have discovered...Considerable variation in the self-incompatibility within these families was observed. This can be somewhat surprising since the majority of this diploid species (i.e. Solanum stenotomum) are considered to be self-incompatible. Field pollinations resulted in some “self-compatibility” berries. Part of my work is to identify those exceptions and alter the mating systems.

If you don't mind I may want to repost those photos onto my blog. I like the international aspect of my seedling potatoes seeing the world.
It is great to have those time elapsed photos of the same plant. Thanks so much.

Tom Wagner
Old January 3, 2010   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
That is right but I also allow for F-2 sib mated venues. In other words, two or more F-1 plants among the same hybrid can be mated or allow to intercross to make that F-2.

So i could expect some interesting variations come harvest time,but would you see less variation among the F2's than F1's

If you don't mind I may want to repost those photos onto my blog. I like the international aspect of my seedling potatoes seeing the world.
It is great to have those time elapsed photos of the same plant. Thanks so much.
Be my guest if you want to use the photos,i'll keep adding progress photos for you to use also if you like,
Old January 3, 2010   #8
Tom Wagner

Much appreciated!
Thanks
Old March 18, 2010   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I have pulled a few of Lo Owl Skycap and Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi out add to other potatoes and veggies that i'm putting into our local agricultural show day growing competition,

After 4 months of flowering they are showing no sign slowing down in there flowering and it amazes me how many berries they produce also

Old March 19, 2010   #10
Tom Wagner

Thanks for showing those pictures and explaining the berries.

I seeded some Medbury TPS again last night and crosses coming out of the Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi and sibling families of Lo Owl Skycap.

Fun to see those pix!!!

Tom Wagner
Old March 19, 2010   #11
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I really like the lovely deep red colour of Lo Owl Skycap though i havn't cut one open to see what colour it is inside yet.

When i grow the tulbers of the likes Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi next season what size could i expect in relation to the size they got to this season.

I haven't looked at some of your other TPS yet,still about another month to go before the frosts start.

Did you grow any of that TPS from Mystery in your growing last season or is this the first time sowing it,oh and happy birthday for yesterday too Tom
Old March 20, 2010   #12
Tom Wagner

Quote:
I really like the lovely deep red colour of Lo Owl Skycap though i havn't cut one open to see what colour it is inside yet.
You should see flesh colors ranging from white, pale yellow to deep yellow. The yellows one should also carry some good flavors

Quote:
When i grow the tulbers of the likes Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi next season what size could i expect in relation to the size they got to this season.
The sizes should increase.
Quote:
I haven't looked at some of your other TPS yet,still about another month to go before the frosts start
Keep us posted

Quote:
Did you grow any of that TPS from Mystery in your growing last season or is this the first time sowing it,oh and happy birthday for yesterday too Tom
Yes, but part of those were frozen in one of my storages and I need to find if they were among the survivors...had not unstacked them to find out yet since I have yet to plant any outdoors. I did sow some more yesterday of the Mystery. I missed so much for being gone two months in Europe last fall when I should have been harvesting while it was still somewhat warm.
Old March 20, 2010   #13
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

The colour of Lo Owl Skycap local must of impressed the judge at our local agricultural show day vegetable growing competition yesterday,even though all the other red skinned potatoes in that section were three times the size,it took out a third prize,
Old April 6, 2010   #14
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

The remaining TPS of Toms harvested yesterday.

Diamond Blue
Tried some in a meal last night and found them to still stay form when cooked,taste 7/10

Grew "Pam Wagner" but only dug out one very small potato the size of my small finger nail,rather disappointing.

Cara from Tomaat
A form potato again with good taste 7.5/10

Another one from Tomaat,"Salad Blue" didnt get enough to try,look to be the same as Old Blue which i dropped out growing again from my collection as i thought the taste was poor.

Old April 6, 2010   #15
Tom Wagner

The tubers of Diamond Blue look good enough for a replant and if the taste and texture hold up...I sure would keep them...pass them around a bit.

Seedlings of potatoes can be a exasperating experience...some sibs will do well and others ....well....back to the drawing board.

Hybrids usually promote a higher percentage selection ratio....and OP's are nearly always produce fewer really good clones.

Since I sow a lot of TPS each year....I am happy to have from 10% to even 1 per cent selected to go on to the next season. I have so many really good clones that it takes some doing to out perform these each year....therefore many otherwise OK clones are dropped for the search of the perfect potato.

The beginning grower of potato clones from TPS may be quite happy with at least half of their seedling hills...but with each years grow-outs ....one becomes more and more the perfectionist.

The University and/or USDA potato breeders are likely to be searching for the one in a million potato clone...And that is almost what it takes to get a clone moved up the ladder from the first year seedling tuber year...on to the second trial, and then to various local and regional trials where most varieties are dropped purposefully in order to name only one or two varieties a year. That process takes about 10 to 15 years...and a lot of things happen in that duration.

I remember walking the fields of nearly harvested potato clones laying in situ when the one row harvester (sometimes two) with all sorts of professional potato folks. One time in North Dakota ...1969...walking with the late Bob Johansen through 60,000 clones on several acres .....I was amazed of how few of some family crosses were kept for another year. In those years I would pick up the rejects for further work. The selection rate that year was not more than about 2%.

Tom Wagner