Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 27, 2006   #1
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Default Momotaro F2 results so far

Got my first ripe Momotaro F2 today. Picked an F1 for comparison . Here they are F2 on the left.

Here they are sliced up. The only difference I can see is that the F2 has 5 seed locules and the F1 6.
They tasted identical.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Grub-keep the info coming on Momotaro. I am growing the F1 this coming spring for the first time. How would you describe the plant, disease tolerance, fruit set, taste, etc?
Old December 27, 2006   #3
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Mantis here Micheal
I love the taste of this one, as it is sweet and full flavoured. Similar to Pink Ping Pong but they are larger fruit up to 9 oz for me and the flavour is fuller and more complex. When Tom Wagner was posting a while back I asked him about the F2's as he had grown them out as well. He intimated that there was no difference from the F1's.
My plant is in a pot in the driveway and gets blasted with hot sun for a couple of hours in the late afternoon. It is still setting some fruit. The F2 is in the same situation and has set 10 or more fruit in the last week.
It will be grown in my garden evey year for sure.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2006   #4
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Good information, the seeds are sooo expensive. I'll have to save some this season.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Had our first Momotaro last night-Picked it early to keep it from the birds. Was 4 5/8 oz. Very good-sweet, firm flesh etc. Definitely will be growing again. Its very hot here, so plants are dropping their blossoms. Still, I should get a decent amount of fruit from this one plant in a 5 gallon grow bag.
Old April 16, 2009   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I saved seeds from Momotaro last year, not knowing if the F2 was worth growing. Thanks! I'll save a spot for the F2 in the garden. Last summer was not a good year for tomatoes in general, and the Momotaro produced very few tomatoes. I'm hoping for a better yield this year.

Has anyone saved the F3 etc.?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2009   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I tried my first Momotaro F2 fruit today, and it was great. Seemed juicier and redder than the Momotaro F1s I've grown in previous years.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote