Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 28, 2007   #1
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

Default grasshoppers?

Subject: grasshoppers

David,
I'm down to my third batch of tomatoes and I don't want to put these out until I get rid of my problem sooooo HELP!!!!!! I laid down my first batch and that was around March and all was lost but I dindt' know why. So I layed down my second batch (this was to be planted at my sisters house but now took the place of the first one) Well, that one along with all my veggies, flowers, vines are being eaten to the core by mainly grasshoppers the amount with I've never seen before. I did have problems with snails and grubs but I'm able to handle those but don't know what to do about the grasshoppers. I've used a couplt of Ortho sprays (which I hated to do since I hate using poisons on veggies but I was desperate) and some die but then others eat them and continue with the damage. I only have one more batch of plants left and I'd like to see them grow without getting eaten. What can I do.?????
Always a friend
Old June 28, 2007   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

You could try putting up some kind of barrier like Remay fabric draped over the interior plant- that should stop them. I find the fibers in my Remay fabric slowly begin to loosen and thus trap many insects in it.
Jeff
I believe some in Montana has experience with the 'hoppers and they may beable to provide more info.
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have several lizards that are wild (dont know where they came from, but I live in the desert on a mountain) that love grasshoppers. Saw one this afternoon grab one and take off with it in its mouth.

Growworganic.com has some grasshopper bait I think.

I hate grasshoppers.
Old June 29, 2007   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I hate to say it but put down a barrier of Seven dust around the garden and then put it on the tomatoes.

That is why your supposed to grow egg plant Hoppers like it better.

Have you had a dry spell if so that is why you have had an invasion.

I have to live with billions every year.
The rain has kept them at bay so far but look out, when it drys up here they come.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #5
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

We have had them in hoards in past years...I keep 50+ chickens and they do a number on them...I have used remay and hardware cloth to protect some areas too....They are very tough to check up once they are out in force...I once gave up spraying and they ate 2 rows of nearly finished cabbage to ground level in about 10 hours...Demolin is the spray we use on crop margins when they get bad....It prevents them from moulting to the next stage...It takes awhile to work, but is effective...We looked like it would be bad again this year, but then all the rain and cold has caused enough vegetation to keep them out of my garden...
Good luck, they are horrible when they get going...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I can't believe that Sevin would work, hoppers are usually so numerous. You would have to reapply to the plants fairly often I would think.

I would think the Remay would give the plants a change, you have to make sure all the margins are stapled down, not just draped. Hoppers will crawl under the margins.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Worth, I can't believe that Sevin would work, hoppers are usually so numerous. You would have to reapply to the plants fairly often I would think.

I would think the Remay would give the plants a change, you have to make sure all the margins are stapled down, not just draped. Hoppers will crawl under the margins.
Well Bob it works for me, you wouldn't believe how I do it.

I put Seven in a sock and shake the sock all over every thing.

I only have trouble with hoppers when it is real dry so the rain cant wash it off.

I have had a cover of dead hoppers an inch thick all over the ground from it, YUK!!!!!!

I hate using the stuff and will only do it if the plants are small, if the plants are getting older I don't bother with it.

With all of the toad frogs,spiders and such around here I may never use it again.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #8
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default organic grasshopper spray

Years ago my neighbor Bertha Olson use to have us catch grasshoppers which she would grind up in a old food mill and add to a gallon of water for a day then strain out and spray on the plants. It would sometime take several doses but the hoppers would start dying. The spray contained a form of natural toxin that would kill the ones on her plants. She had grown up on RR homestead and this is what the dry landers would use in their gardens.
Old June 29, 2007   #9
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Worth, you are right, I would not have thought of that. I imagine that would get enough of the dust out there to work for a while.

Biermaster, I would not have thought of that either. Interesting that grasshopper spray would get rid of grasshoppers.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2007   #10
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

sorry havent been on for awhile... busy busy busy...
thank you all for the advice.
i will forward this on to her and thx again david dwlcrl