Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 18, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default The Micros Are Kicking In

I'm really happy with these three Whippersnapper and one Red Robin microdwarf tomatoes. I had them on a table in full sun but they weren't really happy so I put them on the front porch on a table along the railing. They get morning sun until about noon and are doing really well. I've been using the electric toothbrush trick on the flowers in case the pollinators miss them where they are.

Two of the three Whippersnappers:

The third one, which seems to be a tad more upright than the other two sprawlers.

I just picked more from these three plus the Red Robin. They're now getting ripe steadily and making just what we need. Pickles has been putting them in one of the cherry tomato clam shells that the bought cherries came in as it seems to keep them well. Over two days it looks like we have $1.79 worth as that's what we've been paying.

Any suggestions as to other varieties I might should try? These are great to fill in the early gap until the regular cherrys get ready and it gives me something to play with during the winter.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I grew 'Yellow Canary' and 'Rosy Finch' (the other stable-mates of 'Red Robin') last year.

All three have the same stature - 12" high and 12" wide - and the same yield (about 75-85 fruits per plant in the first flush; and about 35-50 fruit in the second wave about 4-6 weeks later). Though I should say that I barely get any direct sunlight, so I assume better environmental conditions would lead to higher yields.

All three are part of what Sakata calls its 'Little Birdy' series... and all three are open-pollinated.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2020   #3
garden patch
Tomatovillian™

tiny tim is my go to micro tomato plant
garden patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2020   #4
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

They look lovely! I grew Whippersnapper in the fall/winter and it was a pretty productive little plant. It was recommended as a basket variety, but it grew upwards for me and I was afraid of it flopping down too hard so I supported it. My fave of the micros was Jochalos. Still going strong in the Florida heat, though the last of the yellow cherries are a bit small. I've started some new ones to grow indoors under lights for when it's too hot and rainy here. My first indoor crop. Are the micros not just darling? I may grow mostly micros in the future.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the inputs. I think I might be trying a few different ones next fall/winter to compare with Whippersnapper. I sure won't need any this summer as I have three different regular cherry plants growing and will be swamped with fruits!

With the plants on the porch, the railing provides some support for those tomato clusters. I'm going to save seeds from the one that hangs the most and from the more upright one just to see if that upright trait is a fluke or for real.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote